Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Low frost mage dps

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I've been wondering why my dps is low for an ilvl 530 mage. I tried arcane, and I was reaching maximum 100k dps (sustained) and I was constantly being kicked off raids for being the lowest dps. This is very annoying as my gear is too good for my dps. I always thought it was my rotation but my rotation is fine, after learning on here. Anyway, I tried focusing on haste and it improved my dps quite alot (20k) but it is still low. Any ideas? My armoury:

Hi there,

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Mages because I'm not! But there are a couple of things I've noticed!

1. Get 15% hit cap, this is essential, you'll be losing a lot of DPS through missing attacks!
  2. Your trinkets are pretty much useless in Frost, from what I remember, you get almost guaranteed critical strikes from your procs so extra crit is just a waste!

Have you considered trying Fire? I know it's very stat orientated but with the end game tier currently available, surely it's better than Frost?

Thanks for the help, I'll try and get some trinkets, I thought they were good because of the int though.

Especially with those trinkets, I would try out Fire, it's a little more to manage than Frost but it's not difficult by a long way! Give it a go:)

Get rid of UVLS trinket ASAP!  It's terrible for every mage spec.

Don't go fire, you don't have the gear for it.

Re-read the section on rotations for your spec, virtually every dps problem is a rotation/priority issue.

Do not use Frost Bomb, use Nether Tempest for multi-target situations or Living Bomb for single target.

Post some logs so we can see what you're doing and then we can provide some detailed analysis.

4 people like this

There is an add-on I found I particularly like called We Don't Wipe. You have to download the rotations separate from the add-on itself, and not all rotations are covered. However, it doesn't seem too tough to set up if you wish to customize it. I recently was having a hard time cracking 100K dps, and with a series of new items and using this add-on, I am regularly popping 150K (highest has been 182K) damage. I do Frost, and there is great rotation set up for that. The best part is to remind me to drop the dots back on and renew my damage buff. That makes a HUGE difference.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Adelynd
      Who We Are
      Lunae was created in early 2011 by a group of friends that have busy real lives with jobs and families.  We like to do things well but our families and friends come first.  We are looking for mature, fun, experienced, and skilled players who want to join a friendly raiding environment.  We offer a mature atmosphere that loves to raid more with the person than with a player and knows that in the end, real life is all that matters.  If you think this way then we may be the right guild for you.
      DPS and healer-prefer priest.
      Raid Schedule
      We raid Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 23:30-02:00
      EN-Normal 7/7 Heroic 2/7
      Our Expectations for Raiders
      Be at the raid entrance 15 minutes prior to start time when invites occur Attend at least 2/3 raids per week Have fully gemmed, enchanted, and repaired gear~have an in-depth knowledge of your class Regularly read the guild forums, read up/watch videos on boss tactics before the raid Have food, flasks and potions with you Have a headset and be able to not only listen but speak English. Applications
      When applying to Lunae remember that our only insight into who you are is based on what you write on the application form.  Please be thorough.  If accepted you will be considered a trial raider for a couple of weeks so the guild may evaluate your suitability for Lunae.  Apply at:
      If you would like to have more information about Lunae please leave a message or contact Adelynd#1667 in-game.
    • By Semifreddo
      Raiding guild looking for more raiders! We have a particular need of ranged DPS and a healer or two. Melee DPS are more than welcome if they have a tank off-specc. That helps with Mythic+ runs, if we have several tanks and groups going at the same time.

Progression: 7/7N, 1/7H

Raid Schedule: 20:00 Saturday and Sunday Server Time

Communication: Discord Channel

Interest: Message me on (Semifreddo#2224), or respond to this post with what class and specc you play.
    • By mischievous
      Cleared Heroic and Normal Emerald Nightmare in the first week of it's release.
      Classes Needed:
      Resto Shaman
      Resto Druid
      Balance Druid
      Shadow Priest
      Always looking for exceptional DPS of any class.

About Us: 
      We are a guild, made up of former members of <Red Shift> and <Casually Addicted>, on Bleeding Hollow (PvP Server on a Chicago Datacenter) that have a common goal and will do what is necessary to achieve it. We are Shifty Casuals.
      We are a group of professional adults, who believe success in raiding doesn't correlate to number in days/hours you spend raiding. We are starting a fresh page within our guild history and sticking to a 3 day a week raid schedule.
      We don't tolerate elitism, bigotry, misogyny or any of the like. We enjoy our calm, adult environment and have no qualms with protecting it.
      We do loot council which is fair and distributes loot for the progression of the raid as a whole and not an individual player. No favoritism, no loot drama.
      We have our sights set on top 100 US for Legion and are looking for like-minded individuals to join our ranks.

Raid Days and Times (All times in EST as that is our server time):
      · Tuesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Wednesday 8:45pm-11:45pm
      · Thursday 8:45pm-11:45pm

Who We Want:
      Since we are reforming and building for the expansion now is a great time to get in on the ground floor and clear content with us, while prepping for the new expansion. These are some key traits that we are looking for:
      · Someone who understands that 3 nights a week raiding means that you need to bring your A-game each and every night. Attendance is expected to be near 100%. By committing to raid, you are committing yourself to our raiding schedule.
      · The ability to perform under pressure. We only recruit impressive players, and spots are always competitive.
      · Extensive class knowledge of your class. (IE: Alpha/beta testing, keeping up with theorycrafting, properly gemmed/enchanted, always be up to date on the intricacies of your class (not solely your spec(s)) and on the utility of the entire raid group.)
      · A computer that can handle 20-30 man raiding and the ability to communicate via VOIP when needed. You must have a working headset and mic, and you must be prepared to use them. We will not read chat during boss fights. Inability to give a vocal response will not be tolerated as it directly hinders progression.
      · Tough skin. We're always looking to improve ourselves as should you. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but flaming and insulting is not tolerated whatsoever.

If you have what it takes to be a part of this great team and community, feel free to apply at our website  If you have questions about the application process, contact any of the officers for additional information.

Mischievous - Officer - giggles#1351
      Esurient - Co-GM - starvingsun#1436
      Amisti - Officer - amisti#1417
    • By zanpander
      so im 848 ilvl and in mythics i do around 150k-200k dps  but mostly on the low end  is this normal ? 
      rotation  the icy veins rotation 
      warcraft log ( im new to making logs so idk if i messed this up or not )
    • By Jalius
      Hello all,
      I've been maining a Frost DK this entire expansion. I started messing around with different builds last night running a few Mythic +'s, and I settled on a different cleave build than what I've seen everywhere else (machine gun), that focuses on Remorseless Winter. Talent build and rotation below.
      ***Please note: The below is all notes and thoughts from one night of play running 3 Mythic dungeons. There are no logs or specific number crunching at all at this point. This is simply for discussion purposes.
      The bread and butter of this proposed build is Remorseless Winter, and using the Gathering Storm level 90 talent to buff its damage and duration for as much as possible. Gathering Storm increases the damage of RW by 10% and extends its duration by 0.5 seconds for each rune spent. Therefore, the point of this is to have as much uptime of RW as possible for as much Frost cleave damage as possible.
      56: Murderous Efficiency
      ME allows simply allows for more Obliterate spamming. By getting more runes, that allows for the more spamming of runes to synergize with Gathering Storm.
      57: ???
      This one was a tough one and will probably require more number crunching. My first instinct is Horn of Winter, to simply have more cooldowns to spend more runes with. That said, Frozen Pulse may work well since the goal is to spam runes, we will have a lot of rune down-time. Finally, with the upcoming 7.1 changes, Freezing Fog might be an extra cleave buff. Hard to say.
      58: Icecap (or Avalanche ?)
      Personally I feel Icecap is the stronger option here. As long as played correctly, you should only have ~5 seconds of downtime between RW's. You will preferably want to have PoF up as much as possible. Since the name of the game is spam Obliterate, this should lower the CD by a good chunk. Some obvious testing will need to be done if the CD reduction is more beneficial than the extra Frost damage from Avalanche though. 
      60: Blinding Sleet
      Personal preference, but this is my go-to for Mythics. Winter is Coming is also viable given this build, but I've never been a fan of uncontrollable CC's. 
      75: Permafrost
      Again, personal preference. 
      90: Gathering Storm
      This is the bread and butter of this build. Each rune spent during RW increases its damage by 10% and extends its duration by 0.5 seconds. With 6 runes, that's a 3 second increase up to 11 second duration. With stacking Haste as we all, for the most part are at this point, plus the effect of Murderous Efficiency, Horn of Winter, and Empower Rune Weapon, you can easily extend the duration well past 11 seconds total. With a 20 second CD on RW, that's very little downtime. 
      NOTE: I did notice that during play, the damage increase of Gathering Storm caps at 10 stacks. The time duration though, continues to increase as long as you're spending runes. I was able to consistently ramp up and maintain 10 stacks every 1-2 pulls, plus additional duration increase. 
      100: ???
      I haven't been able to decide on this one yet. Glacial Advance seems to be the best straight DPS increase, on top of being another Rune spender. However, I've been using it for 2 months now and the fact that it will randomly get stuck and not hit anything on totally flat surfaces it's really starting to get to me. Obliteration seems like a solid DPS CD for any RW downtimes or other CD downtimes, but I'm pretty sure BoS is still worthless for the most part. 
      NOTE: I definitely want to revisit BoS though. I noticed while playing that I maxed out Runic Power a lot and had to dump of 2-3 Frost Strikes, since the build revolves around spending runes and I forget to spend down my Runic Power. With spamming rune spenders, BoS might be a viable option for some strong burst DPS, since this build consistently builds lots of Runic Power quickly.
      Unless Frozen Soul is re-worked, I think it should still be the last Gold Talent priority. 40% weapon power is not much, and the increase is based on # of enemies hit. So unless you're doing huge pulls, the trait doesn't seem to provide much of a DPS increase. Also, that DPS only happens when RW ends, and we obviously don't want RW to end quickly. 
      Basically, I feel it should still go: Sindragosa's Fury -> Hypothermia -> Frozen Soul.
      1.) Cast Howling Blast while approaching mob.
      2.) Cast Pillar of Frost.
      3.) Cast Remorseless Winter.
      4.) Roll your face on your rune spenders (Obliterate & Glacial Advance).
      5.) If you get close to capping Runic Power, hit Frost Strike.
      6.) If RW is still up and you're out of runes, pop Horn of Winter or Empower Rune Weapon.
      7.) Start again at Step 4 until mobs are dead.
      8.) Rinse and repeat.
      Again, I haven't done any number crunching or done any logs yet. The point of this is simply to spark discussion and see what you guys think. 
      Thanks all!