Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vigan20

Low frost mage dps

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I've been wondering why my dps is low for an ilvl 530 mage. I tried arcane, and I was reaching maximum 100k dps (sustained) and I was constantly being kicked off raids for being the lowest dps. This is very annoying as my gear is too good for my dps. I always thought it was my rotation but my rotation is fine, after learning on here. Anyway, I tried focusing on haste and it improved my dps quite alot (20k) but it is still low. Any ideas? My armoury:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Vigun/simple

Hi there,

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on Mages because I'm not! But there are a couple of things I've noticed!

1. Get 15% hit cap, this is essential, you'll be losing a lot of DPS through missing attacks!
  2. Your trinkets are pretty much useless in Frost, from what I remember, you get almost guaranteed critical strikes from your procs so extra crit is just a waste!

Have you considered trying Fire? I know it's very stat orientated but with the end game tier currently available, surely it's better than Frost?

Thanks for the help, I'll try and get some trinkets, I thought they were good because of the int though.

Especially with those trinkets, I would try out Fire, it's a little more to manage than Frost but it's not difficult by a long way! Give it a go:)

Get rid of UVLS trinket ASAP!  It's terrible for every mage spec.

Don't go fire, you don't have the gear for it.

Re-read the section on rotations for your spec, virtually every dps problem is a rotation/priority issue.

Do not use Frost Bomb, use Nether Tempest for multi-target situations or Living Bomb for single target.

Post some logs so we can see what you're doing and then we can provide some detailed analysis.

4 people like this

There is an add-on I found I particularly like called We Don't Wipe. You have to download the rotations separate from the add-on itself, and not all rotations are covered. However, it doesn't seem too tough to set up if you wish to customize it. I recently was having a hard time cracking 100K dps, and with a series of new items and using this add-on, I am regularly popping 150K (highest has been 182K) damage. I do Frost, and there is great rotation set up for that. The best part is to remind me to drop the dots back on and renew my damage buff. That makes a HUGE difference.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By bez
      Who we are
      <Hollow> is a semi-hardcore guild created by a group of friends, experienced players, that raided HC together in WOTLK. We reunited and transfered to the same realm to create a guild, or more accurately, a home. We keep a very friendly environment in and out of raids, oftenly joining discord to chat even if we aren't doing anything. Guild activities include but are not limited to mythic dungeons, mythic + and raiding.
      Our goals
      Our current progress is 4/7M and 3/3HC. Our current goal is to down mythic EN to gear up and also prepare for Nighthold!
      What we are looking for
      Recruitment currently closed for Mythic raiding with the exception of 1 Shadow Priest.
      People that want only heroics can join regardless of specs. Socials are still welcome!
      Our raiding schedule
      Our current raiding schedule is 3 raids a week for 3 hours:

Wednesday 8pm to 11pm server time - NH Normal
      Sunday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Mythic
      Tuesday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Heroic / ToV Heroic
      The guild is using DKP system
      NOTE: We have added a catch up system for new recruits. When you get past the trial phase and join the ranks as a raider of our guild, you also earn 200 dkp as bonus and when you prove yourself that you are worthy of a core spot, you also get 300 dkp as bonus. We wont leave anyone behind no matter how new while at the same time, drawing a line for our core, active raiders that have been with us since the start.
      Our wowprogress page: http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/twisting-nether/Hollow
      Thank you for taking your time reading through this post. If you have any further questions or if you are interested in joining us, feel free to contact us in game on Solidz, Hotbez or add us on BNET at Solidus#2642, bez#21193.
    • By Leshrac
      Hey! Somebody help me please, Which should I use? 
      Tiny Oozeling Jar  870 ilvl
      Accolade of Victory: (1560 str;1055 Versa) 870ilvl
      Memento of Angerboda 855ilvl
      Nature's Call 850ilvl
      Horn of Valor 855ilvl
      Spiked Counterwight 855ilvl
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/arathor/Leshrac/simple
      thanks for the help

• By maviebris
      So I was fortunate enough to get mantle of command last night, and ran some quick sims. Based on my sims, it would seem that crit has over taken haste in the stat priority when using mantle of command. So stat priority is as follows:
      agi > mast > crit > haste > vers

I haven't calculated weights, but the difference in simulations was significant. I'll leave the weight calculating to others. The idea is that with mantle of command and the changing function of dire beast, it is more advantageous to get more dire beasts from crit, than reducing the CD through haste. Maybe someone else can confirm this also.
    • By jagodziarz
      Hello there: )

Guyz i've got a question, i've been reading on icyveins forum , that in the new rotation/talents we need atleast 17% of haste just to have a proper DPS on it. It's that true?