FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Wobrig

Help with Ask MrRobot

Hi Guys

So I was bored at work today and jumped onto Ask Mr Robot to see what it was say. I was alittle surprised to start with to see most of my orange int/mast or hast being changed to exp/mast or haste, the more I thought about it the more I could see the point. But is it right?

I was thinking it means i get a larger secondry stat amount as I wont need to reforge to hit but I am loosing 700ish int. 

I know second stats are stronger than int but still feel alittle unsure dropping int for exp.

Can the robot be trusted that its better to change? 

In short...it's right, but only partly.

Reasoning behind it:

We agree that 160 mastery (and/or haste as Affi and Crit if destro) is better than 80 int, that is why we use hybrid orange gems in red sockets with 80 int + 160 mastery. If it weren't the case we'd just use straight 160 int red gems, right?

So, if you can trade that 80 int to get 160 hit (via expertise) and then reforge some hit/expertise on your gear to mastery, the net equivalent is exactly like doing another 160 mastery for 80 int trade.

The question you need to ask Mr. Robot is, are you gaining 1400 secondary stats required for your respective spec priorities in exchange of that 700 int? You may need to dial the expertise use back a bit.

I'm currently only using three Exp+Mastery gems in my massive amount of red sockets on this tier (Ick), the rest are Int+Mastery.

The expertise gems also help with this tier (no Wush trinket for excess hit, if you're still using it, you can use the expertise gems for the trick above). It also allows you more flexibility with hit capping.

Edited by Rakupenda

Here is an example of this in action:

Expertise_Example.png

Destro build, so dumping as much haste as possible.

I could have reforged the red-circled haste to hit and leave the three blue-circled gems Int+Mastery, but 476 mastery > 240 int.

Also, using orange expertise gems to exchange 80 int for 160 expertise is preferable to using straight blue 320 hit gems. Using straight blue 320 hit gems means you are giving up the secondary 160 mastery from a green gem for the additional 160 hit (Which means you are preferring 80 int over 160 mastery again).

But as has been stated hundreds of times: stats aren't the big thing with determining the damage you do - it's your playstyle. Better trinkets and higher Ilvl give you more damage automatically than tweaking your reforges for minor increases (in comparison) like the above.

(looking back, another example is that I could have also reforged the 321 haste on Ring1 to Expertise to get 160 int on the gems instead of 321 mastery, but that is not preferred as has been stated).

Edited by Rakupenda

Thanks guys as i said was a little confused by the though of swapping int for hit to hopefully gain secondary stats.  I know play style is were the numbers are made or lost but still best put the mind at rest :s 

looking at it and working out the differences it would swapping 650 int for 1100 secondary

Good secondaries like Haste/Mastery for Affi or Mastery/Crit for Destro? 

If 650 int would net 1300 mastery, then it's obviously a good choice based on our previous assumptions. Anything below that 2:1 secondary to int ratio is a gray area and debatable. Only 1100 (1.7 : 1 ratio) I think would still be preferable, though. The closer to the 2:1 ratio of secondary stat to Int, the more preferable. Not sure at what ratio (1.5 : 1 maybe?) Int will pull ahead.

Well im raiding tonight so il give it a test and see if there is any noticeable difference. If its much the same then Il leave it until bliz next big warlock change.