FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ManicHispanic85

Manually applying dots vs SB:SS

So, I know it's fact that it's BETTER to manually apply your dots in a single target fight, however...I BARELY get any shards to keep my Haunt up. Like I might generate a shard once every 10 seconds...if that. And I spend more time re-applying Unstable Affliction than anything.

My ilvl is 496...and my dps is INCREDIBLY low.

So, can someone explain what I need to do to generate more shards? I know they generate from an applied Corruption dot...but sometimes I'll apply Corruption...and won't get any shard until after a re-apply a second time. I feel like ever since 5.4 I'm just BARELY generating as many shards as before and it's hurt my dps a lot more. What can be done to fix this?

Also, full disclaimer...I'm a noob to the warlock class...I just really enjoy affliction when questing...and I'd LOVE for it to be my main dps build in LFR and Flex Raids.

So, I know it's fact that it's BETTER to manually apply your dots in a single target fight, however...I BARELY get any shards to keep my Haunt up. Like I might generate a shard once every 10 seconds...if that. And I spend more time re-applying Unstable Affliction than anything.

So, can someone explain what I need to do to generate more shards? I know they generate from an applied Corruption dot...but sometimes I'll apply Corruption...and won't get any shard until after a re-apply a second time. I feel like ever since 5.4 I'm just BARELY generating as many shards as before and it's hurt my dps a lot more. What can be done to fix this?

Also, full disclaimer...I'm a noob to the warlock class...I just really enjoy affliction when questing...and I'd LOVE for it to be my main dps build in LFR and Flex Raids.

In 5.4 they nerfed shard generation. Previously ANY corruption had a % chance on tick to generate a shard. In 5.4 they changed this so only THE MOST RECENT corruption has that % chance. That means that sadly you no longer get more shards for more targets with corruption.

Another sad part of 5.4 is that they significantly changed how affliction gets its dps, so its very weak at low ilvls but very good at high ilvls now.

Sadly, aside from the L2P issues that we can help you with, there isn't a direct way to get more shards other than stacking butt loads of haste, which is also limited by your ilvl.

If you have any basic questions about dpsing as affliction I'd direct you over to our stickied affliction tips and tricks thread:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/593-54-affliction-tips-quirks/

But, I will tell you directly in this thread that you don't want to be using SB:SS, especially not at your ilvl. Once you get higher haste you can afford to throw around SB:SS a bit more, but at that level it is REALLY important to use as many for haunt as possible, it really does massively help your dps.

Edited by gahhda
  • Like 1

One shard every 10 seconds? God damn, I wish I had that proc rate. (Corruption base ticks every 2 seconds, which means you should only see one every 20 seconds without any haste, 10% proc chance).

Compared to what? 496 isn't even ToT raid finder gear (502). How much are you getting vs how much are you expecting to be getting?

If you want more shards, try to apply Corruption with haste procs (Legendary meta gem, Dark Soul, Heroism). More ticks = more shards. Also, lots of boss fights have adds in them. Be sure to refresh your shards by sucking the remnants of their soul for your devious uses.

Would recommend at the low Ilvl gear to go Destro. It is more accommodative to lower haste levels especially because in the recent patch it has received some love.

Thank you. I currently play Destro JUST for the DPS boost in LFR...I do about 60k instead of a measily 40k in affliction. I just don't like how face-rolly destro is...and how simplistic it feels. I get bored playing it. Affliction feels a lot cooler managing your dots...it's just unfortunate I can't keep haunt up as much as I'd like. Anyways thanks guys...I'll take this info with me and play around with my lock tonight and see what I can do.

Thank you. I currently play Destro JUST for the DPS boost in LFR...I do about 60k instead of a measily 40k in affliction. I just don't like how face-rolly destro is...and how simplistic it feels. I get bored playing it. Affliction feels a lot cooler managing your dots...it's just unfortunate I can't keep haunt up as much as I'd like. Anyways thanks guys...I'll take this info with me and play around with my lock tonight and see what I can do.

Destruction gets more fun when your crit or haste increase.  More casts or more crits guarantee more embers.  The faster they fill up the faster you need to react to them, along with procs.

Thank you. I currently play Destro JUST for the DPS boost in LFR...I do about 60k instead of a measily 40k in affliction. I just don't like how face-rolly destro is...and how simplistic it feels. I get bored playing it. Affliction feels a lot cooler managing your dots...it's just unfortunate I can't

keep haunt up as much as I'd like. Anyways thanks guys...I'll take this info with me and play around with my lock tonight and see what I can do.

Destro used to be much more complex, what with it having Corruption, Agony/Boom AND Immolate, it was basically just like Affliction with it having Shadow Bolt "back then".

I admire your tenacity. Let's see if we can work this out and maybe bring up the damage a bit.

What haste are you currently sitting at?

Are you anywhere near a Corruption haste break point?

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/haste/warlockaffliction

By "near" I mean within a yellow gem or two worth of stats so you aren't sacrificing a large amount of mastery to reach the break point. If you are able to reach the break point, that means every 18 seconds you will be gaining an additional tick of Corruption, ~3 ticks per minute, and 18 ticks in a 6 minute fight (an extra two shards per fight!). Be sure to also look at the 30% haste buff breakpoints as this will happen frequently throughout the fight: four times (80 seconds) in a six minute fight from Dark Soul, once from Heroism (40 seconds), and multiples more if you have the Legendary Meta Gem.

As far as Unstable Affliction goes, you will be applying it more often than the other dots as it has the least duration (14 seconds) where Corruption has 18 and Agony has 24 base. Glyph of U.A. helps with the application by reducing it's cast time - really useful at lower haste levels since you probably don't have the haste for the one-second cast time yet.

Let us know how it goes!

Do you have the legendary meta gem? If so I always try to snapshot corruption with the 30% haste proc, thought I must admit I rarely if ever have a reason to play that spec.

Destruction is insane right now, even at 560ilvl+

Absolutely crushing the meters sometimes without the crit buff even (10 man woes)