FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
vaeevictiss

Some Affliction help (hated to do this lol)

Ugh, I had always hoped I wouldn't be one to come here asking for help haha. I have played this Warlock since vanilla, and aside from endgame BC, ive always been affliction. I just love the feel of it. Recently though, im not sure if ive just gotten bored/lazy with it, or it has just become routine. 

I say this is partly the reason ive been learning Destro recently. It feels fresh and new, and it amazing on trash. Im just not comfortable with it yet to use on a boss. 

That being said, Im really not happy with the DPS. In this weeks Juggernaut kill, I only pulled 176k, and this just seems low. 

The day before on our Norushen kill, i pulled 189k

(On our pride kill that same day i was destro and you can see how poorly that went haha)

Unfortunately our GM forgot to start logging and missed the first two bosses, but i always do amazing on the Protectors fight with affliction obviously. Dotting the hell out of everything in that fight is win.

here is the previous weeks Protectors kill

(now i see MG on that has horrible uptime...probably all that swapping lol)

our previous weeks Norushen (im still not sure how this fight logs with the phase changes...nor how i pulled better DPS last week)

and finally our last weeks Pride kill (sorry i cant show more, weve been stuck on Galakras for a while and finally got her this weekend lol)

This was with Affliction so you can better see over my Destro try on Pride

Here is my armory. Note, that the warforged belt and ring were gotten just this weekend from Galakras and Juggernaut respectively. I was previously 548 ILevel

Heres where my concern is. I feel i should, even when I was 548, be EASILY over 200k...consistently.

Now to go fight by fight from what ive listed in order, as well as my personal analysis so correct me if im wrong...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron Juggernaut up-times - 96.1% UA, 98.6% Agony, 96.8% Corruption, 57.2% Haunt, 47.7% MG

pulled 176k

Good up-time on dots, Haunt over 50%, not quite 50% on MG.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norushen up-times - 99.2% Agony, 95.6% UA, 97.4% Corruption, 66.5% Haunt, 45.2%

pulled 189k DPS (154 DPS(e)...still not sure what that means or how this fight in particular logs)

Great DOT up-time, especially Agony, Haunt is very high, MG still not to 50%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous week-

Protectors up-time - Agony 98%, UA 91.7%, Corruption 93.5%, Haunt 50%, MG 18.3%

Pulled 227k

UA and Corruption too low, hit at least 50% on Haunt, MG way low, probably due to soul swapping so much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norushen up-time - UA 96.3%, Agony 99.2%, Corruption 99.2%, Haunt 75.8%, MG, 25.3%

Pulled 222k/179k

awesome uptime on dots and haunt, MG low again.

Sha up-times - UA 92.2%, Agony 99%, Corruption 95.6%, Haunt 66.7%, MG, 39.5%

Pulled 203k

UA too low, Agony and Corruption good, Haunt great, MG low. 

So the big glaring thing would be MG. Ive seen people say it should be at least 50% and mine is normally under that. My DOT up-time is normally very good, over 95% at least, couple that were lower. Haunt seems great at well. 

I have gotten down a killer opener, recast always at 10 stacks of Wushooslays, as well as take advantage of other procs.

Yet I cannot seem to consistently pull over 200k. Any other ideas? Sorry for the long winded post, but i wanted to have several examples.

Let's see....

Iron Juggernaut: Your burst is very low for single target. 516k at the peak is not very high at all. What are you doing for your opener? Until last night I've had your same trinket setup, so my opener to get everything at full power was Pre-Pot > CoE > MGx2 > Manually re-apply DoTs > MG (one or two ticks) > Haunt > SB:SS.  There at the end Haunt is gonna land right after I SB:SS that 10-stack Wush with all the other DoTs for monster power and maximum duration.

Major problem: You only used DS twice. Twice. In an 8:11 fight, you should be able to use it 5 times (at 0:00, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, and 8:00), with the 5th only getting halfway done. That's a major DPS loss.

I'm not sure why you cast Fel Flame ever in that fight. 

Your time casting MG does seem a little low. You were using KJC, right? I don't know any reasons why you'd not be able to cast that very much unless you were getting yourself knocked back a lot.

Now, part of the issue here is that you guys took 8 minutes to kill the boss, so your DPS will only go down from your opener. Having deaths early in the fight didn't help that, but other people's mistakes is no more in your control than everyone else pulling 160k in your guild. 

My opener is about the same...

Prepot then after the pull i hit DS>CoE>Haunt>DoTs then MG. Once all my procs are fully active, and wush is at 10 stacks, I SB:SS all dots to refresh them.

Fel Flame, cant tell you lol. Nasty habit have sometimes to accidentally hit it.

Also have a bad habit of waiting for cooldowns and procs to be up to use DS, as well as wanting to make sure it is up when the boss hits 20%. Should i just keep using it on CD?

I am using KJC, and for the MG on this fight im thinking it is more because i was on bomb duty since after tanks i have the highest HP it seems (plus having UE for two of them).

Now that you mention it, ya, the rest of the guild is fairly low. Most of them are casual, and i have become more casual since i started playing, but i really dont know how to help them. Our hunter is usually higher. 

Also, ive tried to break myself of this, but sometimes i cast haunt>dots>coe. How much of a loss is that getting CoE up last?

Edited by vaeevictiss

Should be closer to:  Pre-pot > CoE > DoT's (manual) > MG Proc fishing > Refresh DoT's (SB:SS) > Haunt > MG and maintain rotation/good DoT's

For DS, don't wait.  Use it on CD whenever you can keep DPS up on the boss.  Only time to save it is if you're about to enter a phase of the fight where you do more damage, ie. Execute range or Berserker Stance on Nazgrim (there are other cases).

For MG, because you have KJC you can continue using MG even while be thrown into the air.  Alternatively you can drop a teleport down to snap back to it right after you are thrown up.

The MGx2 he's referring to is probably just to dig for procs.

Again, refer to above for opening rotation.  Wasting a GCD for CoE while Haunt is up is just silly. :)

Should be closer to:  Pre-pot > CoE > DoT's (manual) > MG Proc fishing > Refresh DoT's (SB:SS) > Haunt > MG and maintain rotation/good DoT's

For DS, don't wait.  Use it on CD whenever you can keep DPS up on the boss.  Only time to save it is if you're about to enter a phase of the fight where you do more damage, ie. Execute range or Berserker Stance on Nazgrim (there are other cases).

For MG, because you have KJC you can continue using MG even while be thrown into the air.  Alternatively you can drop a teleport down to snap back to it right after you are thrown up.

The MGx2 he's referring to is probably just to dig for procs.

Again, refer to above for opening rotation.  Wasting a GCD for CoE while Haunt is up is just silly. smile.png

Assuming you're casting DS after the CoE up there.

yea ill give all this a try this weekend. Crazy how missing or re positioning a few spells will drastically alter dps lol.

It's really more about maintaining it and taking advantage of procs than just the positioning, but it helps.

@Zombie: Of course.  :)  No point in losing DS uptime to apply CoE.

yea im thinkin like you guys said, a big part of it was just not using DS every CD. I'll just start doing that and see how it goes.

Edited by vaeevictiss