Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riccaforte

Holy Paladin - Spirit vs Intellect?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've been playing a Holy Paladin since BC, but didn't get into raiding with Holy until MoP (I used to be a tank). I've seen many places that put Spirit in front of Intellect for Holy. What is your opinion on this?

Here's my character's Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/winterhoof/Riccaforte/advanced

We are just starting to get into SoO heroics, we just downed Immerseus and Norushen last night. I've had my Spirit Capped at 8k since HoF, and right now I'm almost at 40k spell power unbuffed (a couple more item upgrades next week and I'll be above 40k, 1/2 for some items). Sacred Shield absorbs are about 48k each, which is my top healing ability according to Skada, it finally passed Illuminated Healing. I don't really have a problem with running out of mana for two reasons, I always use Divine Plea on Cooldown, I have NeedToKnow set up to track Lucidity from the meta gem, so that I use my most mana-hungry spells during that. I don't have a problem with staying at the top of our healing meters along with a Disc Priest and Resto Druid.

The reason I do this is because I want to maximize the potential for the spells that I do cast, rather than just spamming as many heals as I can get in. For example, with Lucidity, I can get 3 Flash Heals and 1 Holy Shock in before the timer runs out, and it usually procs soon after that. I believe that having mana left over after a fight is just wasted heals, and I plan to use all of my mana for the entire fight, ans save my mana potions for the last phase of a fight.

So, my question to you is: what is your opinions on capping Spirit and maxing Intellect, or visa versa? Do you think that if I prioritized Spirit instead of Intellect it would improve my healing output? I've seen some of the Paladins from the top world raiding guilds doing this instead, but I don't know how their numbers are.

Thanks for any opinions you can give me, I'd like to maximize my healing potential in our raids.

Hi all, I've been playing a Holy Paladin since BC, but didn't get into raiding with Holy until MoP (I used to be a tank). I've seen many places that put Spirit in front of Intellect for Holy. What is your opinion on this?

Here's my character's Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/winterhoof/Riccaforte/advanced

We are just starting to get into SoO heroics, we just downed Immerseus and Norushen last night. I've had my Spirit Capped at 8k since HoF, and right now I'm almost at 40k spell power unbuffed (a couple more item upgrades next week and I'll be above 40k, 1/2 for some items). Sacred Shield absorbs are about 48k each, which is my top healing ability according to Skada, it finally passed Illuminated Healing. I don't really have a problem with running out of mana for two reasons, I always use Divine Plea on Cooldown, I have NeedToKnow set up to track Lucidity from the meta gem, so that I use my most mana-hungry spells during that. I don't have a problem with staying at the top of our healing meters along with a Disc Priest and Resto Druid.

The reason I do this is because I want to maximize the potential for the spells that I do cast, rather than just spamming as many heals as I can get in. For example, with Lucidity, I can get 3 Flash Heals and 1 Holy Shock in before the timer runs out, and it usually procs soon after that. I believe that having mana left over after a fight is just wasted heals, and I plan to use all of my mana for the entire fight, ans save my mana potions for the last phase of a fight.

So, my question to you is: what is your opinions on capping Spirit and maxing Intellect, or visa versa? Do you think that if I prioritized Spirit instead of Intellect it would improve my healing output? I've seen some of the Paladins from the top world raiding guilds doing this instead, but I don't know how their numbers are.

Thanks for any opinions you can give me, I'd like to maximize my healing potential in our raids.

The thing about Spirit is that it affects a rate of regeneration over time. So it is more valuable on progression where the kill times are longer and even bumping up against enrage timers, and gets less and less important as the kills become quicker. It appears that your guild is currently progressing on Heroic content; on progression our guild's healers always preferred to stack the hell out of Spirit, to the tune of 15k+ for our Monk and Paladin, slightly less for our Druid, and it was hard to argue with the results.

The rule with spirit is always have enough.  You put in enough that will sustain you over the course of the majority of the fights then start adding more throughput stats.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/gnomeregan/Tolzzy/advanced

There is the armory of a good Holy paladin I use to play with doing Heroic content. Albeit, he may be way more comfortable with his mana regeneration than you would be, so keep that in mind.

The rule with spirit is always have enough.  You put in enough that will sustain you over the course of the majority of the fights then start adding more throughput stats.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/gnomeregan/Tolzzy/advanced

There is the armory of a good Holy paladin I use to play with doing Heroic content. Albeit, he may be way more comfortable with his mana regeneration than you would be, so keep that in mind.

Looking at that guy, I'm doing the same thing except I've got even less Spirit than he does, I cap mine at 8 or 9k, but with slightly better gear he only has about 3k more spellpower. Should I just go for more Spirit if the gap isn't even that much?\

I don't ever run out of mana during progression fights since I can manage it well. So, I don't feel like I should have any more Spirit, but other Paladins go for much more Spirit than I do.

Looking at reforges/gems for overall stats in bleeding edge progression is probably not where you necessarily want to focus analysis since some of them use different stat priorities to push a fight over in a certain manner. Also as these guilds tend to be killing first at lower gear levels without upgrades, rotate in other players/alts for raid comp, etc, this may not be valid for people who are progressing not quite at the absolute bleeding edge.