FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Akraen

[Frost] Akraen's Comprehensive Guide to 5.4 Frost PvE (Advanced)

Hey Ive a few  questions for ya.

Er do you know why Icyveins recommends 48% haste cap? This is what ive been going by which is 13485 points.

Also why not use the Arcweaver Spellsword and Ebon Ritual Hood vs the Immaculately Preserved Wand and Hood of Swirling Senses?(sry for some reason I cant link the items when I put the id from wowhead in by clicking the wowhead thing here).

Er mind telling me what u think of my toon its the best gear Ive been able to get as my server has really went down hill and so Im having trouble getting into a new raid group and not the cash to transfer http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/3b5cdbdc-9bb1-49cd-8b63-05d1 sry if link doesn't work had to type it out as the paste wouldn't work.

Also what is your suggestion for people like me that cant really multidot due to tab and click refusing to go to the next target, poor cp, and to many macros to make for each target in a raid?

Also do you ever have an issue like I do where even if my spells say 1.32sec to cast when you time them in soo they take the full 2 sec as if you have no haste? 

I think I have more ?s but atm cant remember them to get them all out sorry. Just thought of another ? and that is why does everybody think that the shammy trinket is so great?

Ive got it and it does only 2.5% - 3% of my damage most of the time and that's with it taking 300+ hits do it. Why not use the trinket off Garrosh and let that haste be reforged or regem your gear to where your getting a constant stat?

Like for a frost mage that's like me and loves mastery that's a lot less haste I have to try to get while giving more mastery which increases both the water elemental bolts dmg and the icicle dmg each hit not just a proct thing.

Regrettably, the Icy Veins frost guide has a few errors. I'm working to get them corrected.

Not sure what you mean with the gear, I'd always prefer the spellsword & ebon ritual hood over the wand & hood, but I'd always take warforged over non-warforged, which leaves some decision making to fate.

Unfortunately your AMR link isn't working for me.

Sounds like you have some serious latency issues. I don't know how to help you with that other than suggest you prioritize mastery since you won't really be able to take advantage of haste if your 1.3 sec casts are taking 2 sec :P

It's not that everyone *thinks* that KTT is great. It is great, math has been done and it is our second-BiS unless you're going for the full haste build and can kill Heroic Garrosh. BBoY is a very fun trinket and at high skill levels is better than KTT, but the passive multistrike of KTT is reliable and consistent, therefore my recommendation to anyone, especially if you have high latency. I don't mean to be rude here, but please read the guides man-- I've explained these things countless times, the information is all there with visuals and thorough explanations.

Ice Barrier: mehh.... Temporal Shield: yeeeyyy!

Other than that nothing bad.

lol funny thing about that haha i dont remember why i switched back to ice carier but i usually run temperal shield hahaha and im not sure when you looked if it had the tier shoulders or my heroic ones but i lost 2k to a sim witch ive read isnt so acurate but i can tell in game my 4 set is terabad LOL

I finally am raiding again, so I figured I'd analyze my own 25M Malkorok to show I'm not afraid of analysis tongue.png Thankfully I practice what I preach to some extent, aside from sometimes holding off a LB refresh because I *know* a proc is coming.

WU76wP9.png

also sorry i noticed you say no intel jems is that include jewler ones has well?

idk why Oltier just liked this-- yeah use JC intellect gems, those are better: when in doubt, multiply it by the stat weights in my guide

idk why Oltier just liked this-- yeah use JC intellect gems, those are better: when in doubt, multiply it by the stat weights in my guide

I found it a good question (finally not something that we have answered 1000 times biggrin.png), and while I knew the answer I wanted to give you the pleasure to answer in your own guide tongue.png

I finally am raiding again, so I figured I'd analyze my own 25M Malkorok to show I'm not afraid of analysis tongue.png Thankfully I practice what I preach to some extent, aside from sometimes holding off a LB refresh because I *know* a proc is coming.

WU76wP9.png

showoff.... :P
  • Like 2

14242 until my ISP decides to stop being awful. I can't seem to get below 150ms these days. Last year I was around 18-20ms :(

What would be the highest MS one could have before they'd have to switch back to 14242 + mastery? I usually have around 55-60ms throughout raids and this is what I'm running with at the moment - 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/doomhammer/vysade

Just wondering to myself if it'd be stronger going with 14242 + mastery or sticking with haste? I've got 2 set in my bags but only with one heroic chest / normal hands so figured I'd be better off with the heroic Thok gloves and heroic Protectors chest.

As much as I love haste and love people who use haste, I don't think you should be breaking your socket bonuses.

Get me a Malkorok parse and I'll tell you whether or not you're using haste well enough :P

I think you're skilled enough based off a detailed look at your AT usage, how many procs you missed, etc. You can keep going haste effectively but you are losing DPS by breaking your socket bonuses. Just use AMR optimizer for haste build using the stat weights in my guide and go from there.

I'll reforge / regem later then and see how it works out. According to AMR I'd drop 3.92% haste to gain 1k SP and 1.63% crit, surely that would be a DPS loss?

Just another quick question, would it be better to keep the two set bonus even though I'm using heroic tier chest / normal tier gloves versus using offset pieces from Protectors and Thok?

Only time it's worth it to get rid of 2pc is when you're around 24k haste and only with a 580 PBoI.

Currently there are only 4 mages in the EU/US that are capable of doing that. I'm one of them, and even I don't do it. Once I get a 580 BBoY to replace KTT, I'll give it a try because then I can reach 28k haste which is the highest attainable breakpoint. Math gets really weird at those haste levels, I'll even unglyph Icy Veins and use frostbomb.

If you want to prepare for this though be sure to get the trash gloves and an Echoes of War, they're required to do it.

Yeah, I'll switch back to tier then and keep the gloves for if I ever play Fire. I've been aiming to get the trash gloves on heroic but those Echoes of War just don't drop!

Some people are just lucky! I've been with this crappy 530 ilvl offhand for ages, going on 18 weeks now with coining flex and normal / heroic bosses and not had one drop at all from Juggernaut, Thok or Garrosh :(

haha well im glad i am not spamming with lots of already answered questions i try to do my best and not ask questions already answered unless i just plainly don't seem them or dont understand it.. haha but ya so i was able to squeeze another 1% mastery from different gear combos while staying at that 50% haste point for the gcd so this will be the first week with this current set up so will see how it goes i changed my shoulders and a few gems of something i believe smile.png  crazy that an increase of 1% mastery uped my dps in a sim craft by 5k O.o

ok must just be my darn gear but i cant seem to get anymore mastery out of it at 50% haste :/ is this right or am i missing something?

EDIT: Have updated gear im simming a 385.6 with KTT and a 385.4 with BBoY and with BBoY im at 88% mastery and 50% haste so idk... i have more mastery with BBOY and just about same sims... meh.. i think i just need more gear thoughts?

Edited by Veltrix

If you say "simming" one more time, Akraen will kill you.

Simcraft is way wrong for frost mage.

• Like 1

Hey Akraen, 

I have been thinking about moving up to the next breakpoint to take advantage of the multi-dot on some fights. Given my current gear do you think that would be a good idea? I can go from 14242 up to 15832 easily and am comfortable snapshotting.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Slapnticklee/advanced

Thanks for your help!

-Slap