FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Farore

Most complex class?

Hi! I've been playing WoW for nine years now, so all the classes are old news to me, but I haven't played all of them in MoP! So, I have a few questions.

Lately, Activision seems to be pandering to all the little kids who cry and moan and whine if they can't win, so the game has become far, far easier than any MMO should ever be, and all the classes can seemingly be played by a 3 button rotation. Well, I don't really like that! I fall asleep playing this game, sometimes. So, I'm trying to figure out an alt to play, since level 90 content isn't all that fun, but there are a few deciding factors I can't know without actually playing the class. But since you guys have played the classes, I'm sure you can help!

First, I like melee the best, because they tend to be much more active and involved in the sense of their rotations, so a melee class would be preferred.

Second, I don't like the classes with a rotation that's just: 1>2>3>1>2>3>1>2>3>4>1>2>3>..., I prefer a class that really doesn't have a rotation, so like... 1>2>3>4>2>1>2>5>1>2>3>1>5>3>2>1>4>3>1>2>..., rather than being set in stone, the class would have proc's firing off all the time, and the class would be unpredictable.

Third, I would greatly enjoy a class that sometimes gets away from me, and actually makes me fall behind! I'd love to be challenged by a class again, it's something I miss.

So, I'm looking for a class that's fast-paced, interesting to play, and isn't a mind-numbing rotation. I'd love a class that's somewhat challenging to play, but I don't really expect that much from Activision (it would threaten their wallet!). Does anyone know of a class like that?

Thanks for the help. :3

With the comment about random procs and wanting to feel out of control sometimes, my answer is different than it would be otherwise. Let me just sum up the melee classes for you:

Monk WW: Dual resource system of generating and spending Chi using attacks that use Energy, with Combo Breaker procs thrown in.

Paladin Ret: Single resource (since mana isn't an issue) of generating and spending Holy Power. Self-buff must be refreshed every 60 seconds. Can be built with or without proc mechanics. Great utility.

DK Frost: Priority system which has only a couple of buttons, but calls for twitch reflexes.

DK Unholy: More predictable than Frost, less proc management and more resource management.

Druid Feral: Dual resource, like a Rogue - Energy and combo points. Slow-paced, depends heavily on buffing bleed effects which requires good timing and planning. Considered one of the more difficult classes.

Rogue Assassination: Even more slow-paced than Feral. Requires energy pooling. Fun factor improves significantly during execute phase.

Rogue Combat: If you want to spam your buttons, play Combat.

Rogue Subtlety: Depends on going in and out of stealth frequently. Fussy opener. Once you get the hang of it, it's the same every time and the rotation is pretty static.

Shaman Enhancement: Long but fairly static rotation. Very useful due to its amazing utility and healing capability. Has many different DPS cooldowns, and managing them all is a challenge.

Warrior Arms: Fairly static rotation, which changes during Colossus Smash. Satisfying feel to the abilities.

Warrior Fury: This is probably what you're looking for. I think it's not as crazy as it was in 5.3, but it's still a heavily proc-based and difficult rotation.

The above replies mention dps classes...have you tried tanking?

Blood DK all the way. 3 resources to manage (if you take blood tap talent), active mitigation all the way. Keeps me on my toes.

Tanking is hard anyway....

Edited by nicarlitos

Haste build frost mage is probably the most complex and easiest to screw up.

Thanks to glyph of CoC you are in melee range a lot. Sometimes I do swing timer for a few melee hits in between casts/movement. Honest.

Edited by Akraen

I truly hope that you are not that breed of player who determines a classes worth or a players worth simply by the amount of DPS that they can obtain. I sincerely wish DPS meters had never been invented because they create the exact scenario you have posted about. Players can't think beyond the meter. Where is my DPS? Is it the best? Is my rotation easy? World of Warcraft can be about so much more than a DPs meter.

It seems that you have fallen into that trap of thinking that every raid boss, or every encounter is about how hard you can hit it. Many players fall into that trap. Its easy to do. When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Unfortunately, the very nature of an MMO makes that mentality hard to overcome. When your opponent is dead, you have won

If you truly want to be challeneged then I submit the following idea.

Think. And challenge yourself!!

It really is that easy. Every class has a multitude of mechanics that can aid their fellows.

The problem is that you are basing your worth as a class/player on a meter instead of your own creativity. Here is an example. During the Immersus fight, as an elemental Shaman, how do you handle his dispersion adds? Do you find one or two which you nuke down? Then perhaps heal up and wait so you can start you DPS rotation as soon as he reforms? That is how most DPS behaves. Challenge yourself. Think. When Immersus is close to disbursing, run back. Drop an Earthbind totem as close to the blue droplets as you can. Root them for your healers. Then use other abilities to give the healers time!! The mechanics of that fight aren't DPS dependant. This will, of course lower your position on the DPS meter as you lose cooldowns and abilities. But it can be immensely beneficial to your overall group.

If you truly desire a class that is complicated yet extraordinary in its versatility, then play a druid. They have so many utilities and abilities that can aid and benefit others. They can DPS if you want. However, judging from your post you seem past the meters. I hope you are. Moreover I hope you will think outside the DPS box and truly find the challenges you desire.

Good Luck and happy WoWing

I play Blood DK myself.

I would not name it as being truly hard to master, but it has a couple of abilities that should be timed tright, besides runic power and runes you can also work with blood tap as a sort-of resource.

I have not leveled it to 90 yet, but I must say I do like the Demonology Lock rotation. it seems challenging. (Yes I am aware that this is ranged and not melee.)

Cheerss

In terms of strictly class I'd have to go with druid, if your keybinds are set up to play all 4 roles. Chances are good that you'll have to drop into bear form from time to time if the tank D/Cs or drops etc, or heal if healer can't do it for some reason etc, so it requires an eye for what's going on in your group, and not just how much DPS you're doing.

I would say either fury warrior or feral druid. Both have a decent amount of buttons and a higher skill is required to achieve best dps. With fury, you can tell the difference between a good player and an average player when they have same ilvl gear, yet one is doing 120k dps and the other is doing 80k. You have to manage procs and trinkets to achieve best results. I love melee classes as well (still havent tried monk yet) but these are the most challenging imo.

I'm trying protection paladin.

There is a ton of buttons and I keep getting more as I level.... :(

Rogue has less buttons but the combo thing and hardly any energy really blows.

Can't really speak for anything else because I never tried it.

I'm trying protection paladin.

There is a ton of buttons and I keep getting more as I level.... sad.png

Rogue has less buttons but the combo thing and hardly any energy really blows.

Can't really speak for anything else because I never tried it.

Rogues are pretty much the simplest, and in my opinion most boring based on its rotation. The stealth portion gives the class a large potential for entertainment, and you can do a lot with it, but it's just bottom of the melee in pure melee fun.

As a Prot Paladin I can tell you that you can find much more fun classes at 90. It's really just a priority list with 1 single proc (2 if you have divine purpose, but that proc is off the GCD so it just is spammed away). You really only use about 6-7 buttons before CDs, then get to think about situational CDs with all the hands and heals you can give to people. I love the class as my main spec, I love the class in raids, I love the class for soloing old content, but it just doesn't have variety. You can easily sit around in a raid rotating across 1-6 with one hand and eat food with the other, and youll do fine. Though, thats the problem with tanking these days. Almost every mechanic is just a tank swap, or something that doesn't hit us. It's hard to find fights that really give the tanks much to do. SoO did a good job of this compared to ToT though, ToT was a snooze-fest, while SoO actually gives you several things.

Basically I'm saying Prot Paladins won't be fun for you if you want a proc based priority list that keeps you on your toes, but is fun if you like soloing things, tanking, balancing dps, self healing, and survivability. You also have to ask yourself if you really want to risk being a Prot Paladin when content comes around that makes them useless, or has no fun mechanics to it.

I've got a 90 hunter thats equally boring in terms of procs, and the fact that you can move and do almost everything.

I agree with Akraen though, I have an 87 frost mage, and it sure has been fun so far.

I truly hope that you are not that breed of player who determines a classes worth or a players worth simply by the amount of DPS that they can obtain. I sincerely wish DPS meters had never been invented because they create the exact scenario you have posted about. Players can't think beyond the meter. Where is my DPS? Is it the best? Is my rotation easy? World of Warcraft can be about so much more than a DPs meter.

I very much get where you're coming from. However, results matter. The REAL question is: what tools do you use to measure results by? And are you only looking at one thing, or several? 

An even worse standard of measure is iLevel. iLevel doesn't denote skill. I pull much higher DPS or heals, or tank better, than most people 10 iLevels higher than most of my toons. And yet, my 405 Shaman got turned down for MSV, because they wanted a higher iLevel. ("You mean, you want me to come to MSV only if I don't need gear from there???")

Thing is... a Damage Meter (because Damage, and not DPS, has been the standard of measure since patch 4.x) is a hard and fast way to look at things. It's a good tool. The only problem with it is when someone has hammer syndrome: "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!" A meter doesn't tell you whether the person stands in the Poo™ or not. Whether the person can follow mechanics. And especially, whether a person uses their complete toolbox to help the raid succeed. (Because, let's face it, the truth is that 95% of players do NOT use their complete toolbox to make the raid succeed)

On my shadowpriest, I have a lower score vs. the mage in my team. However, you can also tack on the value of the healing which I do. Either, as a side-effect of my DPS, or as something I actively do. (Tossing heals and bubbles when needed, and popping Priest-Tranq, since I often have Symbiosis on me) And then, there's me using Hymn of Hope to give mana to the healers. All of these things necessarily detract from my overall damage score... but, they are of immense value to the raid. Good raid leaders take these things into account. (But I've seen more than my fair share of bad ones... and idiots like that are the reason why the obsession with DPS meters is so prevalent)

So, to sum up? I think meters DO belong in the game. I just think that if people tunnel meter scores, and don't use any more intelligent criteria, then they get what they deserve. The sad part is, they don't know how idiotic they're being, and so they think it's someone else's fault when the boss isn't downed.

Summary for above posts:

All classes are easy to play well, at around 90% of the class's capacity, with some effort and practice.

All classes are hard to truly master at 100% of the class's capacity with thousands of iterations, theorycrafting, and adjusting.

• Like 1

LoL... Too bad your stuck on Melee.

If you want a challange that's not predictable and you can easily get behind on. Be a Healer.

You,ll be the last one to get credit and the first one to get blamed if someone dies because of something (usually they did) that happened.

Even running in Shadow for a dps run on my priest i'm still popping out a few heals here n there to stop wipes in the raid runs.

Any class can be exciting if , like mentioned before your not stuck looking at the Recount numbers. Play the class to its fullest and use the  abilities you were given. I enjoy doing achieve runs with friends and our reg. groups because we work as a team and not 5 individuals tromping through a dungeon run at the same time.