FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
kn1ghtone

Mr Robot Optimizer

If you're insinuating I don't know what I'm talking about, that's one thing and I'll let it slide. If you're insinuating that Locky doesn't know what he's talking about, then basically everyone here is clueless. You should rethink whose knowledge you're challenging.

SimC doesn't play perfectly for warlocks. It is not godmode for us. EJ isn't the great theorycrafting resource they once were. So many of those people no longer contribute there or simply have stopped playing the game. The person who writes the SimC profiles for locks is Gahhda. He writes the profiles as well as they can be written, but the program still has limitations. You say they're written by great heroic players, but do you know who the people are that are posting here? Gahhda and Locky are just as far as they are. Zagam is one boss behind. We have some of the best warlocks you're ever going to meet here telling you these programs are limited.

Also, SimC has always been notoriously inaccurate in the past for some classes (melee especially).

If you can't listen to the locks we have here, there's nothing anyone can say you'll listen to.

At no point did I say that you or anyone specifically in this thread was moronic or doesn't know what you are talking about.  I was saying that generally the people who hold the strongest oppinions don't fully understand the issues or in this case the programs.  I'm well aware of how awesome this lock community is, and should I decide to continue playing wow in the next expac I'm going to use the free lvl 90 on a lock and hopefully join this community and drive discussion and not be flogged, drawn and quartered.

Thing is, this SOUNDS like a good thing, but it isn't. One of the major gaps between SimC and IRL is the fact that humans just can't play at this level. Issues like this lend strength to the perspective that no matter how good the SimC profiles get, you still can't trust it.

First off EJ has been fairly crappy for...years now depending on the class. Most of the amazing theorycrafters either stopped playing, stopped posting, or got sick of the crappy EJ forums and people and made there own sites thus mostly or fully abandoning EJ - Blinkastean and Thek are just two examples.

I hold world first and a US first heroic kills, I've been in the upper levels of raiding for a long time. SimC and "perfect" raid stats don't really have much to do with top level heroic raiding. Secondary stats are very, very fluid at this level of play. The fight by fight change is big enough that you cannot lock yourself into a mindset of "perfect" stats. Further more, secondary only have a small role in over all DPS anyways so it isn't that big of a deal. Game play is far more important. SimC, gems, encahnts, and reforging isn't why they are clearing, skill, player dedication, innovative strats, a deep understanding of game mechanics, and a lot of wipes is why they are clearing.

100% agree with the first two points.  I'm aware that the theory crafting community has largely died and EJ/SimC are not the end all be all authority on how to play.  Neither are they infallible, people make math mistakes which sometimes result in a hotfix for some accidental damage changes/bugs in both programs, but you can't argue that they run the numbers faster than you can.   I would only argue for the third point here that you wont see a ret pally gemmed for int or a lock gemmed for str in a heroic clearing group. Secondary stats  Gearing and tweaking(ench/gem/reforge) do make a big difference when coupled with everything I listed previously.  Again I'm not saying you arent a great player, I'm saying that correct gearing and playing make great players. I'm saying SimC and AMR are good tools to help optimize gear, and their developers do work hard to make them accurate for everyone.  Sometimes they have bugs and errors and the profile in SimC doesn't come out close for your class.  Yeah I'll conceede on that point, are the stat weights wrong? is the profile taking the wrong actions?  Its just like doing physics calculations in class and then when you try to do it for real the numbers are different and that makes you mad.  Thats why its theorycrafting, lighten up I'm not starting an internet flame war, I'm having a discussion.

AMR is build for noobs, bads, people that don't care, or people that care but just don't understand the complexities of the nity grity. All of that is fine, all of them are real people that deserve a bit of a help if they ask for it. But what AMR does isn't what they need. They don't need a huge shopping list, they don't need to be told to go exp/mastery because it's a .0001% DPS gain, they don't need to be told a lot of this crap that AMR trys to tell them. They don't need to worry about stat weights or fine tuning. They just need it to be kept simple.

AMR is built for noobs and people who want to fine tune.  Thats the beauty of it, that it helps a wide range of people and is relatively easy to use.

Also, the fact that it would tell you to drop 3% mastery for 2% exp and crit is just...wrong. So...ya...

I dont play a lock.  I'm only in here to discuss SimC/AMR vs. angry forum users. 

This *might* be true for other classes, but it's flat wrong for warlocks. Destro you can drop every bit of haste you have for full mastery/crit and it will kick ass. You can drop all of your crit and do full mastery/haste and it will kick ass. You can balance crit/haste and it will kick ass. The only thing you need is more mastery.

Well it is true for other classes. Because unfortunately there is no gem that gives more than one secondary stat haste/mast/crit, I don't think you would truely be able to balance haste/crit and still gain mastery.  Mastery is the best secondary stat (for several classes), but having no haste for more mastery wouldnt actually help your dps. For example if you would gain 14% up to 30% total haste you would get another tick from immolate, AMR told me that in about 3 clicks.  Whether or not you actually care about that extra 30kish tick is not what im here to talk about, you are more than capable of determining how to play your class, just don't hate on tools that help people is all I'm asking.

Edited by Failhard

I dont play a lock.  I'm only in here to discuss SimC/AMR vs. angry forum users. 

If you don't play a warlock, then why are you trying to tell me that AMR or SimC is good for warlocks? I've never said the tools were totally useless for EVERY class/spec, just that they are useless for WARLOCKS. SimC works very well currently for Ele and Enh shaman where the rotations are very straight forward and can be easily modeled. But SimC or AMR working or not working for a fire mage or an ele shaman has no bearing on its usefulness for a demo warlock.

I can't speak for everyone for sure but I don't think any of us are angry...I know I'm not at least.

The information I offer people is free, I do it because I'm really good at games and I feel a responsibility to help others since I have the capability to do so. I don't force them to listen, I don't make them do what I say, I really don't care one way or the other. I offer information and I try to keep learning, whether or not someone wants to accept the information or act upon the information is entirely up to them. Since their decision doesn't affect me one way or the other, it doesn't matter to me how they use the information. I simply offer the best information I can and hope people use it wisely. I think this is true for most or all of the people that post here a lot.

just don't hate on tools that help people is all I'm asking.

I don't use a broken hammer to drive a nail, I don't use a fractured bit to drill a hole, I don't use SimC or AMR when they are wrong and give bad information. If someone wants to use it, go for it. But that won't stop me from offering to educate them and show them a better way.

Can we take it down a notch or two here guys?  Locky, your original comment on AMR was pretty general: "Also, fuck AMR"

Everyone is just defending their egos now and it's getting old.

I assumed that in a warlock forum people would read things from a warlock perspective and not apply generalizations outside of the class.

Like I said, it doesn't matter to me what people do one way or the other. I just provide information and hope people use it wisely.

BALBOA BAGGINS!!! I

Hey now, I'm to tall, drink to much, and have to much beard to be a fuckn hobbit! Maybe you're thinking of Zag, he's a baby faced little bastard.

• Like 1

god forbid we have any personality unique to our own characters build.

If this was the case there would be a lot of men with humongous boobs walking around.

Oh wait..

225629_fat_guy_in_car_FUNNY_FAT_PEOPLE-s

baby faced?  I'm just ugly.

...and you know what they say, Zag: once you get a case of ugly, it's hard to get rid of.  wink.png

k, Locky "Baggins" balboa for Preznit!!, (Locky sez fuck that, dons The One Ring and disappears).