FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jiilthanor

Elemental Shaman in our group needs some help!

Hi! The elemental shaman in our group isn't doing what we think is the optimal damage he could have been doing, and it's been going on for a while so I'll attach some logs for you to see.

Armory:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/tarren-mill/Kimosabe/advanced

Protectors HC (Wipe but almost kill)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-71dsp90p0010bse8/dashboard/?s=7675&e=8282

Full normal SoO clear

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ejpfq03zqldao3y7

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by Jiilthanor

Hi there,

Sadly I don't play Elemental so I don't have any of my own logs to show you. However, we do have an Elemental Shaman in our raid regularly. If your Shaman knows how to use Comparebot, they could compare how our Ele is doing to how they are. I make no guarantees that ours is any good, but comparing anyone to anyone else is a good exercise for understanding where to improve. Here is a log of our guild doing 10N SoO up to (including) Malkorok, which includes our Ele Shaman.

I hope that helps a bit!

Edit: Our guilds seem to do a similar number of raids a week, and our raid is on the verge of killing Garrosh, so I think it might not be a bad comparison.

First:

Few gems and enchants missing  armory just updated, showing that he is optimized correctly

Only looking at Sha of Pride fight to see if he had some singe target issues:

SimC: 287773

Kimosabe: 217524.2

Flame Shock: 88% Uptime, should aim For 100% since you can refresh Flame Shock 3 seconds before it ends. This allows more Lava Surge procs and 50% more damage on Lava Burst

Lava Bursts: 36 casts, Fight duration allowed atleast 32 Lava Bursts to be casted on cooldown, 28 Procs of Lava Surge occured.

(Note that when you use a Lava Surge proc the Cooldown of Lava Burst refreshes, so you can't say he should have casted 50 Lava Bursts)

I also notice that the Lava Surge proc is on for short periods (Average: 89/28 = 3 seconds uptime, where it should be less than 2-2.5 seconds), this stops him from getting another Lava Surge.

Elemental Blast: 10 casts, fight duration allowed ~20 casts

Looking at all the fights where you killed the Bosses, a concern is having Flame Shock on the target(s) and using Lava Surge Procs.

Didn't use Potion of Jade Serpant a second time, he could macro it in with Ascendance like he did with beserking.

Another thing, since Ascendance removes the CD of Lava Burst, he should make sure to refresh the Flame Shock before entering Ascendance, then he can spam about 10 Lava Bursts in Ascendance (See the numbers fly!!)

Edit: Note, I do not play with a Elemental Shaman as my main, so if the veterans see that I am wrong, please correct me so we all will know for future reference.

Edited by Archimage
  • Like 1

5% more FS uptime isnt really going to boost his dps by 80k. my sims put me around 290 as well, and i never hit that on a pure fight with no CL funtimes. his dps is a touch low - sometimes 30 or 40k low, but with a spreist and a lock cranking out damage im sure most of the things he could be doing to help out are being taken care of so fast he cant ramp up on any multitarget.

for the h protectors fight try putting him on boss full time, hes just getting cutoff midcast too often while you and the spriest blanket anything that moves and then use all your procs to burn things. you dont need his help and if you did youd have to get rooks adds in a clump near He and sun for some serious chain lightning spam. it looks like he might be saving ascendance for He's add, which will make that part of the fight easier, but cost him dps. he is doing a good job of it though.

for heroics he should swap to PE and with his current gear get just over 70% mastery and put the rest in haste. (approximate guess)  he just needs to work on anticipation and extremely sharp target swapping. time between targets and lost casts are costing him because you and the spriest dont need proximity to benefit from multi target. double potting will also help a lot.

tidy plates or just focusing you or the spriest and using f for assist targeting might help, but he has to swap targets once things are low because any clipped cast is a dps sink. multidot is fun but if he's just working on sharpening dps, try to keep 2 high hp targets flame shocked at any time and never drop FS on the main target. its a little tough becuase you dont want to lose too many ES casts since thats your 2 piece, but the bonus is actually kinda lame so just dont worry about the tier bonuses that much. they both suck but the tier gear is all we can wear since everything else has crit. 

if he can coordinate banner with the warrior by macroing a wsp to the warrior for ascendance its a big deal to have that banner down within 3 sec of popping ascend. easier to work out with a tank though. its not just the 6-10 bursts he will cast during banner its that they can all echo and mastery and echos can mastery and masteries can echo. its at least 20 gauranteed crits.

Edited by kitsu

Lava Bursts: 36 casts, Fight duration allowed atleast 32 Lava Bursts to be casted on cooldown, 28 Procs of Lava Surge occured.

(Note that when you use a Lava Surge proc the Cooldown of Lava Burst refreshes, so you can't say he should have casted 50 Lava Bursts)

I also notice that the Lava Surge proc is on for short periods (Average: 89/28 = 3 seconds uptime, where it should be less than 2-2.5 seconds), this stops him from getting another Lava Surge.

Elemental Blast: 10 casts, fight duration allowed ~20 casts

Looking at all the fights where you killed the Bosses, a concern is having Flame Shock on the target(s) and using Lava Surge Procs.

Didn't use Potion of Jade Serpant a second time, he could macro it in with Ascendance like he did with beserking.

This. HAVE TO MAXIMIZE THOSE LAVA SURGE PROCS. The lack of EB's is also poor. His FS for the most part is fine on most of those fights, but the Lava Burst and EB's casts are a bit low for the duration of your fights. I would have him focus on making sure he casts those two on CD and casting LB asap after a LVS proc.

i actually logged a some fights and Malkorak is a good one to compare. single target, no tricks, light movement.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l075elgxa5gge2q5/

your ele and i have very similar gear, they may have some more sharpening up to do. i really like my gaming mouse because i can move (mostly strafe) with my left hand and do my rotation with my mouse no problem.

Edited by kitsu