FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ender

Give me something to look forward to....

I have a question about my gear/potential DPS. Played affliction on 10 man normal Malkorok and did a little more than 200k dps in a fight that lasted 4 minutes and 38 seconds and roughly 63% haunt uptime. If I'm ever lucky enough to obtain a new weapon from SoO and acquire the 4 piece, can I expect a somewhat significant improvement in my DPS? I'm guessing the four piece will likely help destruction much more than affliction. The link to my armory is below.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draka/Gigantabob/simple

I'm committed to improving, because, lets face it, games tend to be a lot more fun when you're really good at them. I use Affdots to track my dots and just started using Weak Auras to track my procs. I've read Zagam's guides and done a bunch of research in an attempt to get better, but I think I could use some tips.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vi22bkzbora8190q/details/9/?s=1088&e=1366

Will gear help that much?

Damage done: 48 496 000 

Fight Duration: 279 seconds

DPS according to Logs: 173 820

SimC Simulations:

Single Target DPS - Patchwerk (Using Optimized Gear from AskMrRobot)
Current Gear - Affliction: 206 720
Current Gear - Destruction: 254 538

I searched for your next-in-line gear:

SoO Weapon from LFR

4 Set Piece Bonus Requirements:
Robes of the Horned Nightmare - The Normal Robes since your current Chest piece is better than the LFR one

Single Target DPS - Patchwerk using above obtained gear
Afflication: 231 947
Destruction: 269 160

Looks like affliction would gain the most from the 4 set piece bonus and the SoO weapon. 25k more dps

Perhaps I'm reading the log wrong, but I'm showing my effective DPS is 201796.2. Total damage is 56,300,944.

Gigantabob: 48,430,538

Xormek: 6,325,526

Terrorguard: 1,544,880

I don't know much about World of Logs so please let me know if I'm looking at the wrong data.

Please don't use SimCraft to analyze this type of thing. It's really just going to spout out useless information.

Your uptimes could be slightly better. There's a chunk of time where you had UA drop off and Corr drop off. Also, for the first 7 seconds of the fight (from the time you hit CoE), you were doing nothing. Waste no time in your opener, or you only hurt your DPS. Especially since you're doing 10-man and will have to move a lot to cover the void zones, I really recommend KJC over AD. Yes, it's a short fight, but the amount I find myself having to move to get in void zones or run from Arcing Smash and Breath or get into and out of stack for Phase 2 makes KJC worth every penny to me. Your opener only got to 567k. You should be able to break 700k no sweat on your opener as affliction when everything is live. Your SB:SS for max power DoTs came about 7 seconds early from what it should have been to have really explosive damage (PBI proc'd at the very end of KTT proc, and you used it before you even had KTT up, just DS and potion)

2pc for affliction is a big deal. Get that as quick as you can. 4pc for affliction is not a very big deal. I'd recommend only getting it if it just so happens that you get them. A weapon is also a big deal. You'll see big increases here, but really taking better advantage of your opener and not letting your DoTs fall off will be the bigger difference.

Also, looking at your Haunt usage. The uptime is good, but the actual usage isn't as much. Anywhere looking at your logs I see procs happening, I should see Haunts during and after. Anywhere I don't see procs, I should see minimal Haunt usage. Don't cap out at 4 shards and sit there, but don't use it just to use it. If you hit 4 shards, use Haunt. Otherwise, if your DoTs are weak because you haven't had a proc in the last 90 seconds, don't use it. Save them for when your procs happen or DS comes up so you can get some powerful DoTs up and make them even stronger with Haunt. Big DoTs is when you should be ensuring your Haunt has maximum uptime.

Perhaps I'm reading the log wrong, but I'm showing my effective DPS is 201796.2. Total damage is 56,300,944.

I don't know much about World of Logs so please let me know if I'm looking at the wrong data.

Learn from Zagam: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1007-world-of-logs-a-comprehensive-guide/

Edited by Kazistrasza

Ah, yes, I took your damage done from "Damage By Spell" tab, which doesn't include your pets.

Excellent advice! Thank you kindly, Kaz. I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure what I was doing on the pull.....that is just plain sad....pathetic really. They did have me run from the front of Malk all the way to the back after stacking momentarily for the heal to raise the shield. Pulled before I had a chance to put down my gateway. In any case you've given me things to work on. Hopefully using Weak Auras to track procs will help both with aff and desto. Tonight will be the first night using it during a raid.

I wish I had someone in my guild or on my friends list who knew how to play a lock at the same level as some of the people on here, but unfortunately I don't have that luxury. IV has a good group of knowledgable locks and what seems like a genuinely nice group of people and I certainly appreciate the help. Thanks again!

EDIT: removed double post

I am only using Simcraft for a estimated result.

Read our many, many posts about how SimCraft is a poor estimate. It's not going to give you useful information in this case, no matter how you want to use it.

Excellent advice! Thank you kindly, Kaz. I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure what I was doing on the pull.....that is just plain sad....pathetic really. They did have me run from the front of Malk all the way to the back after stacking momentarily for the heal to raise the shield. Pulled before I had a chance to put down my gateway. In any case you've given me things to work on. Hopefully using Weak Auras to track procs will help both with aff and desto. Tonight will be the first night using it during a raid.

I wish I had someone in my guild or on my friends list who knew how to play a lock at the same level as some of the people on here, but unfortunately I don't have that luxury. IV has a good group of knowledgable locks and what seems like a genuinely nice group of people and I certainly appreciate the help. Thanks again!

Odds are good since you didn't have your gate down, you simple ran across doing... nothing? I'm not sure. The moment you get to a boss's room, start setting your stuff up. Warlocks take longer to get set than any other class. We have to do food buff and regular buffs like the others, but we also have to summon our pet, sacrifice our pet for Destro, drop cookies, set up our circle, and set up our gate. You have the utmost responsibility to be quick and not waste time.

Odds are good since you didn't have your gate down, you simple ran across doing... nothing? I'm not sure. The moment you get to a boss's room, start setting your stuff up. Warlocks take longer to get set than any other class. We have to do food buff and regular buffs like the others, but we also have to summon our pet, sacrifice our pet for Destro, drop cookies, set up our circle, and set up our gate. You have the utmost responsibility to be quick and not waste time.

You forgot we occasionally buff Stam/Int and pre-soulstone a target.

"regular buffs". Never Soulstone someone in advance. You're planning on them dying. If you have someone that you can plan on dying in a role important enough to want to rez them, they shouldn't be raiding with you. Maybe in 25 mans you can get away with that,  but certainly never in 10-man. You need access to rezzes. What if you have only 2 rezzes in your 10-man, you pre-SS someone and another important person dies as well as your other brez to the same mechanic. You're screwed that you can't brez the important person. Now, you might be screwed anyway since you've lost two people in a 10-man, but you're extra screwed that you can't get one of them up. Just don't do it. It's a bad idea.

And please, don't forget about mid-fight soulwells.

"regular buffs". Never Soulstone someone in advance. You're planning on them dying. If you have someone that you can plan on dying in a role important enough to want to rez them, they shouldn't be raiding with you. Maybe in 25 mans you can get away with that,  but certainly never in 10-man. You need access to rezzes. What if you have only 2 rezzes in your 10-man, you pre-SS someone and another important person dies as well as your other brez to the same mechanic. You're screwed that you can't brez the important person. Now, you might be screwed anyway since you've lost two people in a 10-man, but you're extra screwed that you can't get one of them up. Just don't do it. It's a bad idea.

You always go into a fight with the notion that everybody will stay alive, but you have to be realistic -- shit happens and people die. 

I should have clarified: 25 man fight with 4-5 locks, two dks and a few druids... and faced with a precarious situation like the tank kiting on Garrosh... I think we can afford to Soulstone him.

And please, don't forget about mid-fight soulwells.

That should only happen on fights longer than 8 minutes with a lot of spike damage that you need to help healers with. Have only had to do it on Garrosh when we're waiting for him to go to P4. If you're doing it otherwise...kindly remind your raid to refresh their stones in between pulls.

Edited by Rakupenda

Yeah, I don't count 25-mans. Nothing personal, and I'm not going to get into the 25 vs. 10 thing, but suffice to say that I am strongly on the 10-man side. I'd join a 25-man guild if they'd take me, but I'm just very in favor of 10s.