FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AnIh

Tank monk underplayed , why ?

Im not sure if its a good topic to post there so im sorry if its not , I was considering playing a tank monk which is lvl 72 atm my main being a prot warrior .

I tried more or less all tanks and ended up with the conclusion that tank monk are nicely rounded tanks a bit similar to warriors and I was wondering why there is so little tank monks in both raiding guild and pick up environement , it is that the class is underplayed as a whole , the lack of raid utility or the fact its a new class ?

it is that the class is underplayed as a whole

Yes(IMO)

the lack of raid utility

I find they have good raid utility.

IMO its more because people have a similar experience to you(have fun leveling easymode) then hit level cap and squish very hard, get abused by unknowing people for low hp and actually have to staart using thier whole toolkit and get overwhelmed.

Lvling as a Brewmaster and raiding current content as a Brewmaster are 2 very different ball games.

When lvling u have near infinite energy, never hit heavy stagger and dont have any mastery and dont need to use cooldowns. This makes it very easy to play. Raiding makes this harder, but for me thats the fun of the class an i enjoy it.

Haider,

there is a popular belief, that Monk tanks are squishy and take a lot of damage, which is completely wrong. The truth is, that BrM tanking punishes way harder any mistakes you make, and the wrong playstyle leads us to take more damage than we are meant to take. We are very strong at single target physical fights, and if it comes to bigass magical attacks, there are loads of tools to make them trivial. (Diffuse Magic, Guard, Zen Meditation, Avert Harm and Fortifying Brew)
There must be a lot of 'bad' (unexperienced) Monk tanks out there, that makes people to believe we are weak. :(

Note, that BrM's aren't armor tanks (yet at least... I fear Blizzard will make use one in 6.0 :( ). What you tank with is your very high avoidance (in 10-mans 'constant' 50% Dodge and 30% Parry) and damage control. Like... you can tell when you want to take damage. :P (To Purify or not to Purify... this is the question.) People - including Tanks, Healers and DD's are just not used to this.
Everyone's comparing us to another tanks HP-wise, I think every single BrM has encountered this: DK tank: 1.2M HP, you: 800k. Lol, whatz dis? A tank for antz?

Summed up: We are low HP no armor tanks. If we suck, we die. If we don't, we are pretty good. We deal a lot of damage, do a lot of healing and give out hell loads of Guards.

Sorry for my bad english... (1t sukz d1k)

Adam

Monks do have less HP, but it's made up for by Stagger, which serves essentially the same purpose. Stagger improves your "time to death," as Theck puts it, by taking a chunk of the damage you take and spreading it out over the next 10 seconds. It basically turns it into a DoT that you can self-cleanse using chi. Keeping Shuffle up by using Blackout Kick increases the amount of damage that is Staggered, and when you get Mastery at level 80, the effect becomes even more potent.

If Monks don't use BK enough, then they get squished quite easily. The thing is, unless you study these things extensively on third-party websites like IV, the correlation between using BK frequently and staying alive is not immediately obvious. So it's not hard to imagine that some folks got their Monks to 90 hoping to tank, got two-shot by Feng, and then went back to their Death Knight.

Hay! No hating on DKs! biggrin.png

I'm actually a fan of both tankers (hell, all tankers more like). Monk is very interesting, and I do wish there was more of them around.

Edited by Ceraius

Hay! No hating on DKs! biggrin.png

I'm actually a fan of both tankers (hell, all tankers more like). Monk is very interesting, and I do wish there was more of them around.

Don't get me wrong, I also love both/all tanks. :D (I only tank with my lovely monk atm tho. :D ) Our main tank is a brutally powerful DK, and ai laik him very-very much. ;D