FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Horcored

Rogue questions!

Sry, there's probably answers to my question on this forum allredy, but i kinda ask it here, to get all the answers in one place. 

I've currently been doing mostly only PvP on my rogue, and now i wanna move into doing some PvE. My big question is what spec is currently strongest?

Also it would be nice to know if any of the rogue specs bring something spesial that the other 2 dosn't.

I have no problem getting used to a new spec, and role difficulty is never a problem, i can learn to play even the toughest spec given a little time, so dont recommend me one spec just cuz its easier to play.

Hoping for some fast and good responses, and Tyvm in advance.

- Horcored

Guest WeeWilly

I am willing to bet that whatever you play now in PVP will work just as well in PVE. 

I am Combat, because of the 2 swords I have and I don't pvp or raid. But that doesn't mean the other 2 spec's are worse, far from it,  I just never played them. 

In IV's guides they actually rate Assassination better. And Subtley, just behind Combat because of the lack of AOE on par or maybe a little behind, but not much! 

So, to answer your question, if you want to experiment, please do so, but whatever you are doing now, it will be fine in PVE. 

-wee willy

Assassination is best for pve. Sub can get close in dps but its much tougher to pull the same type of numbers imo. I think assassination is a little easier to play and easier to get the dps you want for raiding. Though as been said a milion times before, unless you are going for heroics, play the spec you enjoy. Chances are you will do better in that spec since you enjoy it.

Subtlety - Good single target DPS. On par with Assassination more or less, depending if you manage to pull it off, as its significantly harder to keep up the high DPS. Takes a lot of attention and effort to maintain optimal rotation.

Assassination - The go-to spec for raiding. Good single target DPS and the rotation isn't difficult to maintain in its basics.

Combat - Performs worse than the above two on single target. I don't know how big the margin is, but apparently noticeable. Ahead of the above two in AoE.

I'd say go Assassination with Combat OS for cleave fights, for example Spoils. If you find Subtlety interesting, I'd recommend getting to know the fights as Assassination first and then try out how you do as Sub.

PS. Trying out Sub on a dummy on your own doesn't provide very good results as big part of your combo points come from your teammates. FYI.

Really depends on what trinkets and weapons you have available. If you have an AoC then I would definitely suggest sub for single target and combat for aoe fights. These 2 specs benefit way more from the cooldown reduction of the trinket than assassination, but otherwise all 3 specs are quite close atm. 

Personally I found assa to be a bit boring even with the increased end-tier haste values and have much more fun playing sub.

Sub is best for single-target. Lots more damage than assassination. As others have mentioned, it is a more complicated rotation, and it tougher to obtain that high DPS, but given what you said in the OP, this is the spec to go to if you want the highest DPS.

If you are going for sub, you should also go for combat as a secondary, for any fight where you need to switch targets, do AoE, or generally aren't going to be sitting behind the boss for the entire fight (i.e. most of the time). It does far better cleave/AoE than assassination and sub. To get the most from combat, the Assurance of Consequence trinket is recommended.

Assassination does better single-target than combat, and better AoE/multi-target than subtlety. If you want a single spec for raiding, this is the one to go for (in my opinion). Thankfully, sub and combat have similar stat priorities, so you shouldn't need to do much (if any) reforging between fights.

I don't think any of the specs have anything particularly unique to them. Sub does require being behind the boss to maximise damage, which can be a problem sometimes, and it makes more extensive use of stealth than the other specs. Assassination requires 2 daggers, which can cause issues with gearing up if daggers don't drop very often. Whereas sub allows a non-dagger in the off-hand, and combat you can basically use any one-handed weapon in either hand (I think).