FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Espiee

Disc on Thok

Hey!

My guild is slowly crawling through SoO normal, but we're getting cock-blocked by Thok every reset since the group formed.

Some mentioned that one of the issues could be my healing. I usually spam PWS as I don't have the time to fire off PoH other than in the beginning, which means some have higher effective health than the rest of the group. I was wondering whether I am doing anything wrong and if so, you can help point it out?

In P1 what I usually do is:

Spam PWS in the first two roars and then PI+SS for shields on the next and then back to shielding with the occasional DS in between to get people up.

In P2, I am assigned to smite-duty for the added DPS.

The log for tonights raid is here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8dc7enf2okihxvzv/

And my armory is here:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/tumour/advanced

note: I might be logged out in holy from other activities, but I raid as disc. If it's noteworthy my stat strategy is spirit(14k)>crit>caste>mastery>

our group had the same problem. we had the disc spec divine star, and glyph holy nova and that is all she's allowed to do in p1.

if you just go holy have the pally bubble you and divine hymn when things get bad.

What your doing is correct. In my guild (4/14HC) I use resto shammy and druid as my 2 main healers and a disc priest as our 3rd.

My disc does exactly what you are doing and it works.

The only issues I can see from your logs is your resto druid should be pulling ALOT more HPS then he is! This is the fight for resto druids. I would suggest that maybe the wrong person is asking for advise here and it should be your resto druid rather then yourself.

• Like 1

What your doing is correct. In my guild (4/14HC) I use resto shammy and druid as my 2 main healers and a disc priest as our 3rd.

My disc does exactly what you are doing and it works.

The only issues I can see from your logs is your resto druid should be pulling ALOT more HPS then he is! This is the fight for resto druids. I would suggest that maybe the wrong person is asking for advise here and it should be your resto druid rather then yourself.

I would suggest your resto druid make a post and see what is going on. He is drastically low for how strong druids are.

resto shaman can spirit link and even out all health bars twice in the fight. if you dont have one, uneven health bars are a huge danger. 

The issue looks to be the druid, efflorescence and wild growth should be a lot higher and they have SotF talent but on the two longest fights they only used it a few times, needs to be used on cdish with WG for P1+P3. Thok is a fight that druids accel at since they don't have to hard cast anything.

Have the pally BoP the druid somewhere between 5-10 stacks so they can tranq for the full duration.

DS should be used on cd less for the healing and more for the DA's. Save PI+SS till 5+ since thats when its harder to cast, and then use archangels + inner focus + PI + SS, IF is great later, it gives 5s immunity to silences.

Thanks for the kind replies!

When it comes to the resto druid we already talked over some of the points, esp. the efflorescence bit, as you can see it accounted for much more healing in the last couple of tries when we were made aware of it by the guilds other raiding group. We HoP+Tranq on the second P1

Currently our CD sequence is:

1st P1: Bubble@3rd, then smoke, then devo

2nd P1: HoP+Tranq@5th and then transition to get away from dispells faster.

3rd: same as P1

I have considered going holy, but our raid leader declined, I might try talk it over with him again.

@Omnae, I usually save DS for right after a roar as it will overheal less and DA will be there for the next anyway.

Edited by steve

In my guild I actually play the resto druid.

So here are some hints and tips you could pass on to him:

- Efflorescence needs to be used when the raid is stacked every time

- WG on CD during screeech phase (If playing SotF needs to try and us the haste buff with WG on CD)

- During screech phase druid needs to be blanket Rejuv'in the raid. Mana is not an issue as can regen alot in the "I AM THOK CHASEY CHASEY STAMPY STAMPY" phase as the only person that should really need healing alot of the time is the tank (LB and Efflorescence normally do this) with the odd Nourish.

- Bubble tranq is good if you want to extend the screeching phase. We normally roll with a ret pala so all we do is get them to bubble me and me cast tranq.

- Another little trick is popping mushrooms. When the raid group drops to get bloodied once the phase has kicked in, pop mushrooms before everyone spreads. Will top everyone off thus making the phase alot easier.

If he is still struggling get him to try speccing into Trents and using these on a 2 up 1 CD basis. This should help with the healing in screech phase.

Currently our CD sequence is:

1st P1: Bubble@3rd, then smoke, then devo

2nd P1: HoP+Tranq@5th and then transition to get away from dispells faster.

3rd: same as P1

How long are your stacking phases? Has you tried reducing the time spent in them?

I would suggest poping bubble at 5/6 screech as specially with 3 healers you should be able to heal to this point with no problem.

Holy wont make much of a difference apart from maybe giving you renew. Disc is still stronger for this fight.

We usually go to 9 or 10 in 1st and 3rd p1 and 5 or 6 in second.

The reason I am contemplating changing is that in the later phases I can't be putting shield on some and not on others as it will create a discrepancy in effective health across players in the raid. These differences have put us in dangerously low health situations before with some people getting really low on health or even dying.

By later in the phases do you mean the screeching phases? If so shorten them by 1/2 ticks of it. If you have a heavy range set up and with you Disc as well the boss should go down quickly in the STAMPY STAMPY phase. If you get you other healers to focus the healing and you DPS the boss. If you realise the add around 10 stacks then he will eat it by 12 and the phase will end.

We 1 tanked this boss. and bought extra DPS shortened the Ice phase to make sure the MT didnt get tombed and as a druid if he got close then I HotW and Taunted boss and tanked it for a stack of 2.

Yeah, bad wording on my part. When we get higher stacks of acceleration, I can't shield everyone and it becomes too fast even to get a PoH off.

We usually go from P2 --> P1 after 10-12 fixates.

It's a good point about 1tanking it, we have talked about trying that this reset for the added DPS. We have trouble getting him low enough so that when he enters the fourth P1(fire) he'll be low enough to make it short. It's not because of DPS as such, the group DPS should be high enough, which is why I fear the healing throughput is setting us back(including the little healing I can do lacking big raid heals).

Also thanks for the tips for the druid, I'll mention it him!

Edited by steve

Well, as we go 25-man, we hold out long, because we can afford 3-4 paladins with their aura of devotion, a druid who can cast tranquility while an aura is active and many more CDs we can use.

The best spells you can use are Divine Star, Holy Nova (yeah it doesn't heal much, but still more than nothing), PW:S (a few players at least), PoM and PW:B (for dmg-reduce)

What i can give you is the combination of PoH or SS+PoH and Inner Focus.

I wrote myself a macro, so i always use Inner Focus automatically when i cast PoH if the CD is ready.

If you time it right, you can cast 2 times PoH without getting interrupted by the screech.

But more or less you can't do much more. This encounter truly is an anti-cast encounter wink.png

But don't give up. The more you try, the better your performance gets. You will find better ways to time your casts and so on.

Good luck in your next fight.

Edited by UrielOWA

I'm not reading all the replies, there are just too many.

Here's what I'm normally doing. 

P1: Attonement healing and PoM and Divine star.  Divine star is nice, as you can use it even if you get yourself interupted.  But use it after every roar.  At about 8 stacks, I use Barrier on the ranged group (rogue drops smoke bomb on melee.)  After a while, I blow my spirit shell macro (archangel in case it's not on cooldown already, Inner Focus [THIS GIVES YOU 5 SECONDS OF UNINTERUPTABLE CASTING, DON'T FORGET THIS], and spirit shell, and I cast it 2 times before going back to my normal rotation.  Eventually we get to 12+ stacks and RL calls stack, and we end the phase. 

P2: Dispell (if applicable) and attonement off of the jailor.  Divine star him as well, for extra damage and to heal all the melee.

During p1 with the dispellable dot, use Mass Dispell when you have  an L.metagem proc.

I really don't shield all that much.  I'll use it on L.metagem proc for free mana but that's really it. 

Your healing seems fine. The druid one doesn´t, he is waaaay to low for that fight, wich is the reason you are being brought down. Dont forget the paladin can hand the druid so he can tranq without being intrupted.

For me on pull i use atonment to build stacks, then after first screech i SS the group to get the full duration of it. Meaning the next phase wont need to be healed and save DS for the next one. Then PoH until i cant anymore, DS on cd, use my inner focus for 5 sec free cast time and start spam shielding everyone. Tho your tactic might work aswell. Dont forget about devotion aura.

The key to this fight is to push phase 1 as long as you can (even more when 3 healing, unless you got alot of casters). Use all avaible cd rotations and rotate them. Dont use cds until around 4-5 as those shud be easy healable. We always get 17-20 stacks on first phase. 

I also checked your armory and wondered why you stacking so much haste? Prio for disc to get the most out of our healing should be crit > mastery while keeping them close together. Haste doesnt affect us much as alot of our spells are instant cast. While mastery is still a very good stat after crit, 

Edited by shinbou

I'm sorry, did you just claim to use Inner Focus for 5 seconds of uninteruptable casting, then follow that up with PW:Shields, which are instant casts, and thus can't be interupted anyway?

I'm sorry, did you just claim to use Inner Focus for 5 seconds of uninteruptable casting, then follow that up with PW:Shields, which are instant casts, and thus can't be interupted anyway?

No i meant it in random. I cast PoH when using inner focus, i spam pw:s after i did that. I admit i could have worded it better :p

Thanks for the tips guys!

We ran with another druid today rather than our paladin, but the increases in the other druids healing and the tips about atoning aided our kill tonight!

What I do on 25hc mode is (pre pull) pws tank-> pom random player -> pot -> (pull) charge archangel/divine star (in the middle of charging because of thok lightning thing) -> ss 

From this point on you should use pom on cd, holy fire  on cd (to keep evangelism stacks up, maybe, if you time, it well you can penance and smite during the initial screeches 1-6 to have your second archangel have 5 stacks) and spam pws (glyph of weakened soul might be good here) DON'T use divine star on cd at least during initial screeches because it'll just overeal, wait for him to reach 100/100 and use divine star then. After 9-10 stacks you should be using it on cd nevertheless. If you ss soon like i mentioned before, by the 16-19 screech you'll have enough time to do 2-3 ss poh if you time it correctly with inner focus.

Hope this helped. gl

• Like 1