FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

GC is gone. Now what?

Well, I'm already seeing a bunch of people saying that it's because he realized that "WoW is a sinking ship", but I obviously don't think that's the case. Neither do I agree with the people who had been calling for his dismissal for years; I don't really think these people understand much about game design.

So, I'm just curious at this point about a few things. I'd like to see who ends up replacing him, and if Blizzard will make any noticeable design changes following GC's departure (that we could interpret as being reversals of ideas that they did not agree with - I doubt this will happen, btw). I'd also like to know where GC is going :p

I don't think we'll be seeing any major design shifts with Ghostcrawler's departure. However, I am glad that he is gone. During his tenure, he's made a number of arrogant, self-righteous, and often incorrect (by his own later admission) comments, and otherwise displaying an attitude making him the Bill O'Reilly of WoW. The man has the relatively unique ability to shove his abnormally large feet in his unmitigatedly small mouth.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief with his departure. 

I really liked Ghostcrawler. He was in an incredibly public-facing job, one that I bet he didn't sign up for originally. With that in mind, I think he was very even tempered. The thing about lead positions like that, too, is that they have to be ready and able to debate things - I don't ever think that GC's comments were made to shore up an ego, I think that they were points he was trying to articulate. One sees this in scientific research too; people mistake "trying to get to the root of the problem" for "being an arrogant person" or somesuch. In both environments, being wrong in the short term is very much a tool for being right in the long-term. I sympathise very much with GC, and I think that overall he was fantastic. I don't think that he was ever really "big picture" wrong.

Whoever replaces him will likely be more prepared (maybe even picked specifically) for the front-facing aspect of the job. We might well see less arguments with forum-goers in the future.

I would actually be quite sad if there were major design reversals once GC has left. I think that his overall vision for WoW was very good.

Oh. By the way - WoW is not a sinking ship.

• Like 3

I really liked Ghostcrawler. He was in an incredibly public-facing job, one that I bet he didn't sign up for originally. With that in mind, I think he was very even tempered. The thing about lead positions like that, too, is that they have to be ready and able to debate things - I don't ever think that GC's comments were made to shore up an ego, I think that they were points he was trying to articulate. One sees this in scientific research too; people mistake "trying to get to the root of the problem" for "being an arrogant person" or somesuch. In both environments, being wrong in the short term is very much a tool for being right in the long-term. I sympathise very much with GC, and I think that overall he was fantastic. I don't think that he was ever really "big picture" wrong.

Whoever replaces him will likely be more prepared (maybe even picked specifically) for the front-facing aspect of the job. We might well see less arguments with forum-goers in the future.

I would actually be quite sad if there were major design reversals once GC has left. I think that his overall vision for WoW was very good.

I believe the term is, "quoted for truth".

+1. Same feeling, could not phrase it in any other better way. Altho I'm a Warlock and most of the community is still pissed because of the unfair UVLS change.