FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vestaryn

Storm, Earth, and Fire help please.

So I am levelling monk and have just got this ability and confused by when I should use it and when I shouldn't.

As far as I understand it I should use this whenever the mobs they are attacking will be up for 20 seconds and I won't be targetting the same mobs.

My questions are is this an ability I will use on a few boss fights or is this something that any decent WW will use all the time?

Is it worth using just one spirit copy at 70% damage? as anywhere I see it mentioned it only says about having 2 out?

Are there any addons/macros to make this easier that everyone uses but me? (I have got Storm, Earth and Fire from Curse, also created a cancelaura Storm, Earth and Fire macro to call them in if they arent attacking anything) But mainly I mean what is recommended by you guys?

Any tips and tricks you can provide with this spell would be greatly appreciated as it seems awesome but I haven't grasped it well enough to utilise fullly.

Thanks guys.

This is your AoE ability as a WW monk

spell_sandstorm.jpgStorm, Earth, and Fire

Basically you and your spirit do 70% normal damage (140% total) between two targets, as long as you're not targeting the same one as the spirit.  If they are stacked up together you can cleave both targets and hit them both for the full 140% while otherwise you'd be doing only 70% damage on each target.

When you have 3 spirits out it splits it by 55% (55+55+55 = 165%)

Basically this move is only used when you have 2 or more targets to hit especially when you can cleave off both.

There are several boss fights that you can make use of SEF.

For example, Mogushan Vaults, the very first boss, the Stone Guard. Set yourself on one of the three dogs, and stick a copy on each of the other two and watch your DPS go up and up. You're essentially dealing 165% damage the whole fight since they share a health pool.

For an AOE example, take the Galakras fight in SoO. So many adds and they will be clumped together, stick a copy on one or two mobs each pack and cleave your heart out with Rushing Jade Wind.

If you want to understand the nuances, basically the clone copies almost everything you do on their target. They melee of their own accord, and they will copy your yellow attacks, such as SCK, RJW, FoF (no extra stuns though), Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick e.t.c. However, if you attack the same mob they are set on, then they will only do basic melee, so you will be attacking a target doing only 70% of your normal damage, making them useless on single target fights.

Hope this helped ^^

There are several boss fights that you can make use of SEF.

For example, Mogushan Vaults, the very first boss, the Stone Guard. Set yourself on one of the three dogs, and stick a copy on each of the other two and watch your DPS go up and up. You're essentially dealing 165% damage the whole fight since they share a health pool.

This is a pretty horrible example seeing as 1 of the 3 dogs (in 10 man/LFR) or 2 of the 4 dogs (in 25 man) take 90% reduced damage.

For a fight like that you have to only use 1 spirit and keep switching it as the dogs switch.  Plus, if you can cleave both dogs you'll be doing slight more damage overall since you're double dipping on each one.

This is a pretty horrible example seeing as 1 of the 3 dogs (in 10 man/LFR) or 2 of the 4 dogs (in 25 man) take 90% reduced damage.

For a fight like that you have to only use 1 spirit and keep switching it as the dogs switch.  Plus, if you can cleave both dogs you'll be doing slight more damage overall since you're double dipping on each one.

Yeah, it's easy to forget since the SOP is now to stack the dogs all together. On progression for the first couple weeks in dungeon blues, that wasn't really an option. In general, it's like a Combat Rogue's Blade Flurry; you turn it on and off depending on how many targets you want to cleave, in the absence of better tools against smaller AoE packs. Realistically, Monks are built to do high DPS against 3 mobs that are kept away from one another, but even more so if they are tanked together.

Maybe Fallen Protectors?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's easy to forget since the SOP is now to stack the dogs all together. On progression for the first couple weeks in dungeon blues, that wasn't really an option. In general, it's like a Combat Rogue's Blade Flurry; you turn it on and off depending on how many targets you want to cleave, in the absence of better tools against smaller AoE packs. Realistically, Monks are built to do high DPS against 3 mobs that are kept away from one another, but even more so if they are tanked together.

Maybe Fallen Protectors?

Much better. =)