FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Akraen

Some High End Spreadsheet Stuff

Okie dokie gang, I ran some numbarz.

BIG DISCLAIMER: If you are below ilvl ~578 or have vastly different gear than I do, these numbers will not be achievable and the balance of stats will be too hard to obtain. This is for the high-end, but feel free to use it as a "goal"

What I wanted to do was to get the infos for each spell down based off 3 profiles. Remember these profiles are pretty flexible because I could swap out off pieces, put on tier, swap trinkets, and get all different ratios of stats.

(all stats raid buffed)

Profile 1: Maximize Mastery (14242 haste cap)(if you want to check), 83.7% Mastery; 50.38% Haste; 51943 Spell Power

Profile 2: Maximize Haste, 72.04% Mastery; 61.12% Haste; 51458 Spell Power

Profile 3: Maximize Intellect, 70.67% Mastery; 52.36% Haste; 53787 Spell Power

Note: It is nonsensical to go below 14242 haste at a high item level, I would not bother make a profile that does that

Here is the data:

OwcsPu1.png

Here are comparison visuals by spell:

dkFJ9HU.png

Okay now it gets weird.

I decided to come up with my own "sim" and I expect to get corrected here. I wouldn't bother post it but for the illustration of how bombs behave. This is why I'm going to run frost bomb on all fights this week to really see how it plays out. I wanted to know, above all else, if I am running frost bomb even on single target, whether I should prioritize haste, mastery, or intellect. Looks like even with such a weird spell, I need to keep my initial idea, of Haste to 14242, then mastery. 

Since even in this extreme scenario the best results are 14242 haste -> mastery, I am going to go with this as my official recommendation.

Here's my own spreadsheet "sim" - don't yell at me:

FAjXFri.png

fH5FOqp.png

I have to get some parses to see if this truly is how frost bomb will behave. If any mages out there wish to join me in this test, please run as many fights with frost bomb as you can this week and post your logs. I will come up with some sort of aggregate analysis next Monday or Tuesday if people give me some data. Otherwise you'll just get analysis based off my data.

• Like 1

I don't even know what to say. They're so close. Fight time was only 2 sec off.

The reason I did 11million more damage (12k dps) is because I used multistrike trinket over BBoY.

They're like, so freakishly close.

If you love frost bomb, use it. Just be aware like many others have said, it is harder to use, it will make mechanics harder to work with, and you will likely do less damage-- not because frost bomb is worse, but because it's just clunky and hard to use.

• Like 1

I don't even know what to say. They're so close. Fight time was only 2 sec off.

The reason I did 11million more damage (12k dps) is because I used multistrike trinket over BBoY.

They're like, so freakishly close.

If you love frost bomb, use it. Just be aware like many others have said, it is harder to use, it will make mechanics harder to work with, and you will likely do less damage-- not because frost bomb is worse, but because it's just clunky and hard to use.

And even you had some problems with it, who is probably one of the best frost mages around world of warcraft atm.

This is why we in most cases suggest the usage of NT and/or LB. :)

It is nice to know, that it is a viable choice tho.

Yeah, damn straight I had problems with it.

I'm sure I could improve my finesse a little bit for timing casts to allow for the cooldown.

However, I would find that if I had a frostbolt land, FoF generate, BF proc from exploding bomb, gap time before frostbomb came off CD, cast another frostbolt or use the GCD on ice lance >>> cast the other frostbolt first, use a GCD on BF and then ice lance, but if another ice lance procs, you then have to use a GCD on another ice lance which delays another frostbomb by 1 sec.

You lose a lot of frost bombs over the course of a fight by having them forcibly delayed by the requirement that you don't waste (or risk wasting) a FoF. It's easier to manage BF, of course, but FoF, invocation, and movement impair frostbomb casts by too much.

It's more challenging play for the same result.

I think in a pure patchwerk scenario if I had several weeks of practice, I would prove what my calculations suggest and prove that frostbomb can out-single target LB and NT.

Unfortunately, for now, that doesn't have real-world applications.

I am gathering heroic warforged haste pieces and once I get a heroic warforged Black Blood of Y'shaarj I will try for a 22.7k haste build with frostbomb to see if I can get over the cooldown issues.