FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Deafmetalman

Keybinds!

I've been lurking on Icy-Veins for a while now but this made me have to comment just to say thanks. I have my rotation set but getting more keybinds setup and reading all these strategies gives me some new ideas to squeeze a little more damage out and maybe bring some spark back to killing the same bosses over and over.

This is why my bindings are set up the way they are.  1 main and 10 alts at 90 makes for confusing binds unless you use the same ones.

Spam button - E (incinerate, sinister strike, crusader strike, cobra shot, etc)

2nd button, usually a DoT - 2 (immolate, serpent sting, flame shock, revealing strike)

3rd button - 3

4th button - 4

execute button - 5

primary cooldown - q (dark soul, adrenaline rush, rapid fire, ascendance)

secondary cooldown - shift-q

primary defensive cd - t (unending resolve, cloak of shadows, deterrence, shamanistic rage)

secondary defensive cd - c

healthstone - x

AoE ability - shift-e (rain of fire, fan of knives, multishot, chain lightning)

interrupt - f

This kinda set up makes switching between alts a breeze.  Same function, same button, different animation, different damage.

thank you as always zagam *salutes*, and to everyone for sharing their keybinds. it is one area i have struggled with as many have - i change things on the fly, so it suits the class/spec at the time, then when i log onto an alt, i struggle with the "muscle memory" of the binds i got used which i had just changed to, and now feel i need to change this class/spec's binds. it feels like a frustrating cycle of trying to find the best solution.

• my question to you zagam was going to be, when you switch from destro to afflic, how do you handle the keybindings for the different spells/abilities? but it looks like you've answered that here. so you try to keep them very similar between ALL alts, which makes total sense. if you don't mind, i would love if you would clarify what you would do for the specific switch between destro/afflic - as that seems to be your two favorites. is that right?
  • my next question is for all of you out there that have different keybindings for different specs of a class. i find it very frustrating that blizzard can't provide us with different sets of keybindings for each spec - they do not change when you change specs. so that leaves us with relying on alternative methods. i was wondering what methods or addons you all are using to get around this shortcoming, if any?

i really appreciate you all sharing your personal keybindings, as it really gives me some good ideas i hadn't even thought of; so please, keep them coming! :D

thank you IV! <3

my question to you zagam was going to be, when you switch from destro to afflic, how do you handle the keybindings for the different spells/abilities? but it looks like you've answered that here. so you try to keep them very similar between ALL alts, which makes total sense. if you don't mind, i would love if you would clarify what you would do for the specific switch between destro/afflic - as that seems to be your two favorites. is that right?

Destruction

E - Incinerate

2 - Immolate

3 - Conflagrate

4 - Chaos Bolt

5 - Shadowburn

Shift+E - Rain of Fire

1 - Fire and Brimstone toggle

Affliction

E - Malefic Grasp

2 - Unstable Affliction (Immolate's Shadow brother)

3 - Corruption

4 - Agony

5 - Haunt

Shift-E - Seed of Corruption

1 - Drain Soul

All other binds remain the same such as Q for Dark Soul, F for interrupt, etc.

• Like 1

Similarly...

Demo

E - Shadowbolt/Touch of Chaos

2 - Corruption

3 - Hand of Guldan

4 - Soul Fire

5 - Felstorm

Q - Metamorphosis

Shift-E - Hellfire/Immo Aura

Shift-Q - Dark Soul

I switch up my Dark Soul in Demo because Q is more comfortable for me to stance dance.  I do this with my Rogue as well where Q toggles Blade Flurry.

• Like 1

7 - Dark Soul

8 - Healthstone

9 - Ember Tap

0 - Doomguard

= - Worgen Sprint

y - Teleport

y (mod) - Set demonic circle

u - corruption

i - Immolate

o - curse of elements

p - rain of fire

[ - howl of terror

j - Fel Flame

j (mod) - command demon

k - havoc

l - incinerate

l (mod) - chaos bolt

; - Shadowburn

' - fear

n - mortal coil | shadowfury

m - fire and brimstone

, - Twilight Ward

. - burning rush | unbound will

/ - Dark Bargain

f (potion)

6 misc targeting macros

and a few things mapped to misc mouse buttons (extra action, soulshatter)

I have been considering changing things around, but from past experience, I've learned it's best to only change one or two things (keybinds) at a time.  Changing them all really messes me up. :D

I have NEVER seen anyone use binds on the right half of their keyboard...what do you use to move?  My guess is you're left handed, but even still...I just tried to work a rotation with those binds and I'm all confused.

I have NEVER seen anyone use binds on the right half of their keyboard...what do you use to move?  My guess is you're left handed, but even still...I just tried to work a rotation with those binds and I'm all confused.

I know, it looks very odd.  but, it does make sense. smile.png

I do all mouse movement, no keyboard, and I am left handed. Well, technically not left handed, but there are certain things that I do left handed vs right, using the mouse is one of them. That dates back to Commodore 64 days and the desk I had for it: when I got a PC there was only a space to use the mouse on the left side, where my 1541 drive was.  After years of use there, I never could get the hang of using the mouse right handed.

Now, as far as rotation, you may notice the core rotation spells are in the jkl uio area.  Someone used VI a *lot* and tends to focus around that particular set of home keys.

Edited by Zilthy

I used to be a hardcore arrow-key region player (and I'm right handed :P). Thats how I started playing doom when I was a kid, and got addicted to using that region while playing Quake2/Quake3:ra3. When I started playing wow and other mmo's I just naturally started there. It wasn't until MoP that I finally swapped over to WASD region. League of legends helped me bridge the gap since I just started using their default bindings and had to get used to that area of the keyboard.

Guess this is hand dependent.  I'm 5'11'' and not sure my hands are much bigger than average, and hitting 1 is obnoxious to me.  I couldn't make 1 my primary filler button. 

I forgot to ask you a long time ago Zagam, what do you use [1] for?

and just out of curiosity what do you like to use for your movement keys? do you like the WASD setup or do you prefer a different setup?

thanks! :)

1 = Fire and Brimstone (Destruction), Immolation Aura (Demonology), and Drain Soul (Affliction).  Probably will be Soul Burn in 6.0.

• Like 1

1 = Fire and Brimstone (Destruction), Immolation Aura (Demonology), and Drain Soul (Affliction).  Probably will be Soul Burn in 6.0.

i'm sorry Zag, i see above you did show what you used for the [1], my apologies!

what about movement, do you tend to used the WASD setup or something completely different? always curious to know... *bows*

i use one of these. They arent made anymore, and if you can find them they are expensive. I really dont know what ill do when it dies lol. It would take me so long to learn how to play on a conventional keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Merc-Stealth-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00292OW1U

that looks very interesting vaeevictiss!

Yeah, I use WASD.  I don't use Q and E to straft - I just move with my mouse.  Q and E are valuable keybinds to me as a Warlock.

• Like 1

Yeah, I use WASD.  I don't use Q and E to straft - I just move with my mouse.  Q and E are valuable keybinds to me as a Warlock.

haha. When i started playing, for years i used these to strafe. I think it was back in wrath i realized...i never strafe...OMG i can put two spells here haha.

Currently they have been fel flame and Chaos bolt...I just remapped to Shadowfury and Chaos Bolt. Much more useful than strafing.

I just recently started strafing.  Mostly that came about due to two things: doing engineers on heroic, and razer finally making a left handed Naga.  I had so many keybinds going on (My odd setup is earlier in this thread) that I really didn't have room for movement keys on keyboard.  When I got the Naga, I initially thought about moving some of the keybinds to the number pad on the mouse, but then realized, it would be a lot less effort training muscle memory to put the movement keys I was missing there, and keep my keyboard bindings the same.

So I ended up putting my strafe, backpedal and always run on the Razer keypad, along with other things that I wanted more convenient access to than clicking, and that is working out well. :)

• Like 1

thanks for sharing your keyboard/mouse tips everyone! i finally got a naga... it sure is interesting - it will no doubt be awesome, but it certainly looks like it is going take some getting used to. :)

now to figure out what to map to what mouse button... so many choices! :D

Long toyed with the idea of a naga mouse.I'm a keybind guy and have never had any issues really with running out of buttons.

But so many people use them now I always wonder am I missing out.

I recently redid my keybinds because too many of my rotationals were difficult to cast while moving.

I know, it's silly to do this AFTER KJC got changed, but that's actually why i'm doing it. With such a small movement window, I need to be very precise with my keypresses. It's also good practice for my melee alts.

I've got a Logitech G502 that has a really, really nice Scroll wheel. the side-to-side functionality is endlessly useful. I'm slowly working on transitioning most of my abilities to variations of Scroll up/down left/right and press with shift, ctrl and alt modifiers. Modifiers that I can press while keeping all fingers on WASD still. Add in the other mouse buttons and the keyboard strokes that are easy enough to press on the move (2, 3, 4, E, Windows rebound, etc) I should be good to go.

My favorite keybind ever though is Shift-Space to enter/exit Fire and Brimstone/Metamorphosis. Something about it just feels serious :)

Currently my main bindings look like this:

Conflagrate - M5 (by the thumb)

Immolate - Shift M5

Incinerate - E

Chaos Bolt - C

Shadowburn - Q

Rain of Fire -   <---- That way on scroll wheel

Havoc M4 (also by thumb)

[LMP mode]

As far as the Naga goes, and any gaming mouse with lots of thumb buttons, be careful not to overdo things. The basal joint in your thumb is designed to move in lots of directions like your hip or shoulder, and like your hip or shoulder, is more vulnerable to repetitive motion injury as a result.

[/LMP mode]

• Like 1