FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
chapz007

Frustrated R Shammy, looking for help...

I have been healing as a R Shammy for as long as I can remember.  Prior to Pandaria coming out, I took a break, and recently started playing again about 2 months ago.  My gear isn't the greatest, but it isn't the worst.  I have been tweeking and tweeking trying to find the right stats to preform to my optimal capacity.  I have read so many forums and tried different tricks, to the point, I am about to just give in. 

Armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Makescentz/simple

Now, I don't have the world logs on my raiding, so I will work on that.  I just need to get a different set of eyes, and assistance...  Am I gemmed completely wrong, wrong gear..  I know I have 1 item that has hit on it, but I would assume that would not be a killer. 

Please, any help or assitance you can give, would be really appreciated.

Hi Chapz,

I don't anymore, but I used to raid Resto Shaman in Tier 15 when we weren't as powerful! I used to raid 25-man on him and had around 17k Spirit, which obviously is a LOT more than yourself. As 25 man I do use AoE a lot more frequently which are mana draining abilities and having 17k spirit helped A LOT with mana tides, especially as I was doing some heroic progression too!

With regards to reforging...It depends on what other classes you're healing with! As a rule of thumb:

Spirit (until you're comfortable) > Highest haste cap which is achievable > Mastery (If 10-man), Crit (if 25-man) > Mast=Crit.

I occasionally still Heal on my Shaman in 10 mans with a high spirit/crit build and I never ever struggle. I would probably find Mastery > Crit if TWO-healing 10 man and especially during Heroic Content (10-man).

Don't take any of what I've just said as gospel though, it really depends on a lot of variables. I can safely say that a high spirit/crit build (even on 10 man) does wonders! If you do find yourself starved on mana, get some more spirit and sacrifice some crit/mast! Crit also affects Water Shield procs (if you didn't already know) ;)

I hope this helps!

George.

Hi Chapz, don't despair! We'll do our best to get you going again. smile.png

I think that your setup seems mostly fine, so we will need to look at your logs (thanks Fouton!) Some points;

• You're missing a tinker on your hands, that might help.
  • Are you using Ask Mr Robot's custom stat weights? I wonder if your reforging and gemming can be done more efficiently.
  • I hope that you're changing your glyphs depending on the fight. inv_glyph_majorshaman.jpgGlyph of Chaininginv_glyph_majorshaman.jpgGlyph of Fire Elemental Totem, and inv_glyph_majorshaman.jpgGlyph of Water Shield should all be swapped in on a fight-by-fight basis. For 10s, I tend to run Riptide/Chaining/HST by default.

I'll have a look at your logs later. In the mean time, could you tell us if you're having mana problems or throughput problems?

========= Now for slightly less straightforward things =========

I also want to talk about some of the things Wetty said, which aren't wrong but do need discussion.

Spirit (until you're comfortable) > Highest haste cap which is achievable > Mastery (If 10-man), Crit (if 25-man) > Mast=Crit.

The Mastery > Crit debate is one we've had on this forum before, so I don't want too much argument about it. Let's suffice it to say that Mastery is useful but Crit is also useful. For most applications, you can pick whichever you want and be successful. I prefer Crit at the moment for the regen and splash healing, and I raid 10s, so I'd recommend Crit > Mastery personally.

I would probably find Mastery > Crit if TWO-healing 10 man and especially during Heroic Content (10-man).

I two-heal our progression fights on 10H, and I still find that Mastery isn't the way to go. We have so much Mastery on BiS gear right now that you can't go below 50%, so it's worth stacking Crit over Mastery anyway.

I find that high Spirit builds don't help so much, especially when you have the Legendary Meta. If you head for 30% Haste, you'll get a lot out of that LMG and even more if you track the buff it gives you. I tend to sit around 13k Spirit like the OP does, which works fine. Another key to keeping mana in intense fights is to drop Mana Tide Totem early (around 75% mana) and then on cooldown for the rest of the fight.

Crit also affects Water Shield procs (if you didn't already know) wink.png

Small correction: it affects procs of ability_shaman_watershield.jpgResurgence, which is tied to Water Shield but isn't the same thing. I know, I'm being picky, but it could be important.

Logs

I found your logs (thanks again Fouton!) and had a look at them. Normally I try to compare logs to my own, but I've not done these fights on Normal for a while and I fear that making the comparison to Heroic isn't very fair. Instead, I compared your parse to your co-healer who was also a Shaman on your Norushen kill.

I used Comparebot to compare your parses. I highly recommend this tool. The comparison page is here. Before I start, I want to say that you're not doing badly but you have room for improvement. Keep trying! Here's what I found;

1. You had no uptime on Earth Shield at all. You need ES uptime, it's fantastic especially with your 2pc. When you're raiding with another Resto Shaman, it's polite to discuss which tank you're going to put ES on so they don't overwrite each other.
  2. You didn't seem to use Healing Rain as effectively as your co-healer. Practice placement of it so that you get the most people in it. Especially when you're at high Haste levels, this helps a bunch!
  3. Chain Heal usage seemed pretty good.
  4. You have the Rushing Streams talent but your co-healer had almost twice the number of ticks that you did! You should try to make sure your Healing Stream Totem uptime is as high as possible - it's an insanely powerful spell and you want it up whenever it's off cooldown.
  5. Good use of Healing Tide Totem and Ascendance. If you have time, explain to us when and why you use those spells. We can discuss ways to improve your usage. When you have Ascendance up, what spells do you cast?
  6. Very poor Riptide usage. Your co-healer managed four times the uptime that you managed. Use Riptide and use it often. When you cast Chain Heal, target it on a player that already has Riptide if you can - this will buff your Chain Heal! Riptide is really excellent, you should be using it often.
  7. Note that Glyph of Healing Wave got you nothing on that kill. No healing at all! I don't think it's a good Glyph for you to use.
  8. I don't think that Unleashed Fury is really doing anything for you, so I'd recommend taking the Primal Elementalist talent and making a macro so that they autocast Empower/Reinforce on you. Learn to use these as cooldowns for your throughput.
  9. On the subject of Unleash Elements, you're not really using it often enough. Use it right before Healing Rain and your Healing Rain will do much more healing, for almost no extra mana!

I hope that helps. Keep working on it! =]

Logs

I found your logs (thanks again Fouton!) and had a look at them. Normally I try to compare logs to my own, but I've not done these fights on Normal for a while and I fear that making the comparison to Heroic isn't very fair. Instead, I compared your parse to your co-healer who was also a Shaman on your Norushen kill.

I used Comparebot to compare your parses. I highly recommend this tool. The comparison page is here. Before I start, I want to say that you're not doing badly but you have room for improvement. Keep trying! Here's what I found;

1. You had no uptime on Earth Shield at all. You need ES uptime, it's fantastic especially with your 2pc. When you're raiding with another Resto Shaman, it's polite to discuss which tank you're going to put ES on so they don't overwrite each other.
  2. You didn't seem to use Healing Rain as effectively as your co-healer. Practice placement of it so that you get the most people in it. Especially when you're at high Haste levels, this helps a bunch!
  3. Chain Heal usage seemed pretty good.
  4. You have the Rushing Streams talent but your co-healer had almost twice the number of ticks that you did! You should try to make sure your Healing Stream Totem uptime is as high as possible - it's an insanely powerful spell and you want it up whenever it's off cooldown.
  5. Good use of Healing Tide Totem and Ascendance. If you have time, explain to us when and why you use those spells. We can discuss ways to improve your usage. When you have Ascendance up, what spells do you cast?
  6. Very poor Riptide usage. Your co-healer managed four times the uptime that you managed. Use Riptide and use it often. When you cast Chain Heal, target it on a player that already has Riptide if you can - this will buff your Chain Heal! Riptide is really excellent, you should be using it often.
  7. Note that Glyph of Healing Wave got you nothing on that kill. No healing at all! I don't think it's a good Glyph for you to use.
  8. I don't think that Unleashed Fury is really doing anything for you, so I'd recommend taking the Primal Elementalist talent and making a macro so that they autocast Empower/Reinforce on you. Learn to use these as cooldowns for your throughput.
  9. On the subject of Unleash Elements, you're not really using it often enough. Use it right before Healing Rain and your Healing Rain will do much more healing, for almost no extra mana!

I hope that helps. Keep working on it! =]

1.  You had no uptime on Earth Shield at all. You need ES uptime, it's fantastic especially with your 2pc. When you're raiding with another Resto Shaman, it's polite to discuss which tank you're going to put ES on so they don't overwrite each other. - I have added a few add-on's to help manage my up-times with my ES, so this should fix that problem.

2.  You have the Rushing Streams talent but your co-healer had almost twice the number of ticks that you did! You should try to make sure your Healing Stream Totem uptime is as high as possible - it's an insanely powerful spell and you want it up whenever it's off cooldown. - I have also added timers to help regulate the usage of the HST.

3.  Very poor Riptide usage. Your co-healer managed four times the uptime that you managed. Use Riptide and use it often. When you cast Chain Heal, target it on a player that already has Riptide if you can - this will buff your Chain Heal! Riptide is really excellent, you should be using it often. - I didn't fully understand the ability of the glyph.  I am now using Riptide almost constantly on people that don't have it, to allow the ticks to hit full potential, and then refreshing as needed.

4.  Note that Glyph of Healing Wave got you nothing on that kill. No healing at all! I don't think it's a good Glyph for you to use. - I have removed this glyph.

I have made a few adjustments to my stats on my toon.  I think I have made so many adjustments, tweeks, etc, that I am just in quicksand.  I probably made the mistake by using Mr. Robot and the custom weights.  I am getting closer on my rotation/heaing, and I am trying everything that was suggested.  What I would like to see, if you have or would suggest to me, is if I use Mr. Robot or a similar adjuster, do you have a custom weight comparison that I can have the proper raid setup? 

I'm glad to hear our feedback has been helping you! :)

What I would like to see, if you have or would suggest to me, is if I use Mr. Robot or a similar adjuster, do you have a custom weight comparison that I can have the proper raid setup? 

There's a bit of an art to using the AMR stat weights, so if you want to know more I suggest you take a look at Krazyito's guide. It's very informative! The weights I am currently using are;

Intellect - 1

Spellpower - 0.75

Spirit to 13k - 0.7

Haste to 30% - 0.7

Crit Rating - 0.45

Mastery - 0.4

Haste past 30% - 0.35

That works pretty well for me! :)