FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jiujitsu

Im starting to get a complex MW Healing

I am a 563 Mistweaver

Ok so tonight I was 2 healing Garrosh with a 558 Disc priest. ( I don't have logs unfortunately ) My HPS was around 90k, his was around 150k 

Now. I come to this board allot for advice. I always keep ReM up, I use TFT whenever its off CD and only really uplift when I have 5+ targets, this was 10 man BTW.

Anyway, I didn't go with RJW I went with Xuen for the DPS and healing. Now before the fight I always make sure I have max chi and REM is always ticking on 5 people before we even pull. 

I tried to Uplift whenever possible, and use soothing mist to help build chi. I throw out a surging mist sometimes. I rarely use Enveloping Mist only because the Chi Cost is so high.  

Now Since I have very low spirit I have to manage my healing as best as I can and usually dont run out of mana with Mana tea unless the raid is taking way more damage than I can get back from mana.

My question is I feel like my HPS was much to low, and felt embarrassed that I was getting smoked so bad.

I only got one crack at it as the raid leader stated that there was a problem with healing and we wiped shortly into phase 2, but not because of heals, the second tank wasn't picking up the adds which caused some issues as well.

The Priest has close to 51 Million healed compared to my 33 Million healed so it was a rather large disparity.

Also to add I wasn't fistweaving either, and I probably could have done that with the packs of adds. The thing is when I fistweave I seem to go through my mana quicker and I don't get back as much Tea to use. Example I usually fistweave to start the Thok fight. Then go to Mistweave. The thing is I am so concerned about Mana sometimes it feels stressful. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I do not want to be that Mistweaver that is complete failure with decent gear. 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/b6e6bb4f-93f5-413f-b237-4591726444fe

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Jiujitsu/advanced

Edited by Jiujitsu

Fistweaving does hit your mana alot harder than mistweaving will but if you are using muscle memory procs and drinking tea so that you dont cap it becomes more efficient than it feels.

Without logs its hard to give any real feedback however;

Here is a log of one of my first kills also me and a disc priest. I think i was about 565 at the time and had the Tsulong normal trinket and the shado pan assault valor trinket. Just so you can gauge our gear disparity.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/bw7ylu3fy8mxvp08/sum/healingDone/?s=10605&e=11047

HPS i did 95k and the priest did 135k. i did however do more total healing.

I wouldnt recommend fistweaving while 2 healing garrosh.

All i can say to you is that the priest may have far out geared you and therefore you and the content would have mainly overhealed. Or the raid was taking far too much damage or perhaps you just weren't uplifting enough :P

We all have our moments and for a fight like Garrosh more experience on the fight and mechanics will help you to maximise your healing better.

Chin up and practice :)

Fistweaving does hit your mana alot harder than mistweaving will but if you are using muscle memory procs and drinking tea so that you dont cap it becomes more efficient than it feels.

Without logs its hard to give any real feedback however;

Here is a log of one of my first kills also me and a disc priest. I think i was about 565 at the time and had the Tsulong normal trinket and the shado pan assault valor trinket. Just so you can gauge our gear disparity.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/bw7ylu3fy8mxvp08/sum/healingDone/?s=10605&e=11047

HPS i did 95k and the priest did 135k. i did however do more total healing.

I wouldnt recommend fistweaving while 2 healing garrosh.

All i can say to you is that the priest may have far out geared you and therefore you and the content would have mainly overhealed. Or the raid was taking far too much damage or perhaps you just weren't uplifting enough tongue.png

We all have our moments and for a fight like Garrosh more experience on the fight and mechanics will help you to maximise your healing better.

Chin up and practice smile.png

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that Priest was only alive 66% of the fight, whereas you were alive for all of it. With that factored in, it looks like the OP's fears are confirmed. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that Priest was only alive 66% of the fight, whereas you were alive for all of it. With that factored in, it looks like the OP's fears are confirmed. 

No, the priest was alive the whole fight.  The 66% means "active time" which for some reason as disc its usually very low because they are DPSing for half the fight.  

No, the priest was alive the whole fight.  The 66% means "active time" which for some reason as disc its usually very low because they are DPSing for half the fight.

This also why sometimes you can have high hps but low healing done. Monks are "active" 100% due to ReM so often recount hps makes it look worse than it actually is.

That disc priest is effortlessly throwing absorbs/shields all over the entire raid. Recount is counting those shields whether they are used or not, so a disc priest will almost always be way ahead of a MW according to the meters. 

I absolutely abhor the use of HPS as a measure of how "good" a healer is. If that priest has his shields up before Whirling Corruption for example he will have done a barrel load of healing before you even need to press Uplift without getting a massive overheal. 

That is a good read but nothing new to us here :P

There is a common saying in my raid and that's "WTF Brew is top of healing! we must be taking too much damage or the disc priest has dc'd" (unless its malkorok or Thok XD)

The best thing about monks in the context of the link is that in the low damage taken phases ReM and Fistweaving makes us the perfect healing choice as a 2nd/3rd healer.

What raid lead in their right mind on for example H Galakras would say "lets not 3 heal and have the MW dps until Galakras drops."

I easily keep up in dps on the mobs and then pump out the heals in the final phase.

Meters are such a bad way to gauge these days and with the introduction of warcraft logs and the details and way you can view the healing done at certain intervals makes it far better if not the best way to gauge your performance.

Or ability to burst healing to 0 mana then drink up to almost full makes us a ridiculously good addition to any raid.

You're right, I wouldn't expect this to be news to advanced players. But, Yes! The whole point to learn to measure what you do in the context of what needs to be done. I felt that Vixsin's ultimate point about how this expac has put healers at odds with one another was particularly salient to the OP's sentiment, and that just because another healer is soaking up non crit healing is not reason to despair about what you can contribute.

Edited by Mymer

just because another healer is soaking up non crit healing is not reason to despair about what you can contribute.

Exactly!

A good healer uses their whole toolkit(not always heals) and gets bosses killed.

Some people just cant seem to grasp this sigh..