FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Decision

Weird stat prio Ret

So I just downloaded SimCraft because my friend told me it's really good at balancing stats but it came out with rather strange results when I simmed my ret pally.

I've always gone with haste>mastery>crit when it comes to reforging but when I simmed my character it told me to go crit>mastery>haste so I changed some stats in favor to crit and when I simmed again it gave me slightly higher dps.

I do have legendary meta and cloak, only t16 2p though.

Now I'm just wondering if this is really true at any point or is it just go haste all the way.

Here's my character for reference: Armory

And yes I know some things are off the chart like the stamina enchant on the cloak but my MS is Prot so havent changed it yet. Reforging should be fine though.

The way I understand it is that crit pulls ahead when you have Thok's Tail Tip, which you do. That should explain your simcraft results. Though, I was under the impression that the stat priority changed to Haste > Crit > Mastery in that situation, so... I don't really know what to say about that :P

Edited by Belloc

The reason you are getting Crit > Mastery > Haste is because Thok's makes Crit > Haste, and your gear is so good that you reached the 50% GCD cap. It's generally believed that around 40% haste unbuffed is where you want to start putting everything into Crit or Mastery, so the sim is very accurate.

So really the stat priority really looks like:

With Thok's Tail Tip

Haste (up to 40%) > Crit > Mastery > Haste.

Without Thok's Tail Tip

Haste (up to 40%) > Mastery > Crit > Haste.

Now if you reach 40%, you can ignore the first haste part, and if you don't have thok's you ignore the first crit.

• Like 1

The reason it's putting crit before haste is because you're over the 40% haste threshold. After 40% haste, ret should go for mastery, or crit. In this case it's crit :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick and informative answers all of you.

I was under the impression that rets had same as prot where haste is beast until 50% where like you said GCD cap is reached. So this more or less means that as long as I have Thok's tail I should aim for 40% haste and then crit>mastery? And in this case should I start gemming crit or should I maybe start gemming more strength? Strength had pretty low value though so 2 points of crit was better than 1 strength.