FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stoove

WARNING: Trojans Stealing Accounts

This evening my attention was drawn to this thread on the WoW forums about a new trojan which is going around. It has been known to steal accounts and even authenticators will not prevent it. This is what is currently known;

• There are no antivirus programs known to Blizzard which remove or detect the trojan.
  • Only a complete drive format is known to destroy the trojan.
  • The attack vector is unknown.
  • Some people suspect that an addon file has been corrupted, so don't update anything from Curse until we know more. The trojan is not from genuine Curse clients, which can be acquired from http://www.curse.com/client.
  • You are not vulnerable until you are asked to log in. If you are using the Battle.net launcher and are always logged in, you are fine until the launcher asks you for your password or authenticator details.
  • You can detect the trojan once you are vulnerable (see point above) using a process outlined in the original post.

UPDATE: The original thread has been updated; the source appears to be a fake version of the Curse client (not 100% confirmed yet!) which is acquired if you're not careful where you download the client from. This reinforces the point above; only download the Curse Client from Curse.com/client.

If you gain any information on this, absolutely notify Blizzard of it on the official thread or by other methods if you have the trojan yourself. Also raise the information with your antivirus software provider so that they can update their definitions to detect/remove it.

If the thread is updated or if anyone posts additional information in this thread, I will keep the OP updated with the relevant information.

Do not post personal login information on this thread.

• Like 2

Cheers Stoove for the update - I'd like to think the majority of people do protect their information better nowadays but just take extra care peeps!

Updated 3rd Jan 2014 with new information about the source of the malware.

Cheers Stoove for the update - I'd like to think the majority of people do protect their information better nowadays but just take extra care peeps!

I'm sure we'd all be genuinely surprised at the stupid things people do with their computers :)

• Like 2