FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Guest garmeth06

A few destruction questions

Guest garmeth06

I am new to Pandaria but raided at a proficient level in Wrath of The Lich King, however, I am a newb again.

Upon doing research, several things have confused me. I have read the destro guide here and also the destro and fix my dps faqs.

1. I have baddie gear, but a huge staple to doing damage as destruction is stacking chaos bolt with procs. Should I even be worried about procs?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Rofldotz/simple

(I will change windsong to jade spirit once I get a weapon worth half a piece of shit)

2. If I don't worry about procs should I just use DS on cooldown?

3. Will affliction or destro do more dps at my gear level?

4. People say the optimizer on Ask Mr. Robot is bad to blindly follow, I know stat priorities etc but I don't see how I can do a better job than a mathematical formula with all the variables of reforging and gemming.

5. Is it better to use Ask Mr. Robot by importing my stat weights from simcraft and then using it?

Thanks

I am new to Pandaria but raided at a proficient level in Wrath of The Lich King, however, I am a newb again.

Upon doing research, several things have confused me. I have read the destro guide here and also the destro and fix my dps faqs.

1. I have baddie gear, but a huge staple to doing damage as destruction is stacking chaos bolt with procs. Should I even be worried about procs?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Rofldotz/simple

(I will change windsong to jade spirit once I get a weapon worth half a piece of shit)

2. If I don't worry about procs should I just use DS on cooldown?

3. Will affliction or destro do more dps at my gear level?

4. People say the optimizer on Ask Mr. Robot is bad to blindly follow, I know stat priorities etc but I don't see how I can do a better job than a mathematical formula with all the variables of reforging and gemming.

5. Is it better to use Ask Mr. Robot by importing my stat weights from simcraft and then using it?

Thanks

Right off, tbh I wouldn't even try to min/max with that gear. It's only going to be frustrating. But if you want to start getting good again, I can understand.

1: Yes. Procs are all that matter.

2: You should work with your procs, holding DS for a proc only works when you can semi-predict a proc like with PBI, other wise you can try and get them to line up but don't wait to long. Say more then 10 seconds at most.

3: No.

4: "Better then a mathematical formula" assumes that the formula works. Lately I've been using AMR a lot for my monk because of the limitations that ReforgeLite has so I've gotten fairly friendly with the program. Since I don't really CARE if my monk is perfect I don't mind when AMR gives me retard information. But since I do care about my warlock it pisses me off when I get random, moronic results from AMR.

Personally, I don't use AMR for my warlock because it simply is not needed. Mastery>crit>haste. Gem accordingly, use reforgelite, easy peazy. Quicker and easier and cheaper for me to simply do this then it is to go through the long process of loading my toon and such every time I get a new item. 

5: SimC is trash. 

1. You don't have many procs to watch out for, those that you do are pretty weak. I would get a weakaura for RoY (relic of yulon) to track the ICD of it, and pool up embers to dump when that procs. Otherwise just make sure you have as close to 4 full embers for dark soul as possible. If you know you will end the fight and only get one more use out of both dark soul and RoY, make sure to save dark soul for when it procs and unleash a truck load of shadowburns into the boss. I'm not sure how good the 496 proc of the crit trinket is but you will likely want to dump a couple embers at least. You don't really have much to go on.

2. Yes, use dark soul on cooldown, except in the instance above. Basically be aware of how long until a fight will end and know when you will be using dark soul.

3. Destro is better at your ilvl.

4. AMR is fine. Set it to do M>C>H and it will work. I've never had it do anything weird for my toon and I use reforgelite along side it, but lately reforgelite pretty much refuses to work even though I've deleted and re installed it a bunch of times so AMR is my friend. Stat weights are kind of a massive pit fall for new players, they really don't matter. What you want to know is your stat priority and then just alter the weights accordingly to force AMR/ReforgeLite to do what you want.

5. Again, no need to be doing anything along the lines of simming out stat weights etc. Just get your M>C>H reforge on and get to work. 

edit: pretty much what locky said.

Edited by Liquidsteel