FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
dunkdk

Some questions (fairly new mage)

Hello all. i just started main mage like 1 month ago, and i really love it but i am confussed about some different things so lets get started.

1. So i am playing frost atm. i read Akrean's guide and saw <578 gear needs 14242haste atleast, but i am at 15172 as ilvl 546 (only got 2 set btw) so should i go down abit for some more mastery or should i just keep on focusing haste?

2. I know fire should be the no braining spec but to me it looks fun. so how doable is it this tier? i tryed websites like noxxic which shows alot less dps from fire than arcane and frost. and worldoflogs seems pretty equal to me (10N)

I was hoping that fire could work as a one and only spec so i wouldn't need to reforge every 2nd encounter to play a different spec.

so is frost just the best of best if you don't want to change spec for every 2nd encounter?

NOTE: i am not gonna play arcane it's boring and i don't like i am forced to stay in my rune power when i have trouble looking for charges ^^ 

Fire is extremely viable at higher gear levels.

Don't use Noxxic as a bench mark.  Raidbots.com is way more reliable.  Have the settings set up something like this:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Malkorok/25H/all/14/60/p80/

Feel free to change the percentiles around a bit to look at trends.

The only fight that Frost appears to be parsing higher on is Spoils, and that's by just a few thousand DPS.  Pretty negligible.  So at higher ilvls you could definitely roll with Fire on every fight and be fine.

Fire is extremely viable at higher gear levels.

Don't use Noxxic as a bench mark.  Raidbots.com is way more reliable.  Have the settings set up something like this:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Malkorok/25H/all/14/60/p80/

Feel free to change the percentiles around a bit to look at trends.

The only fight that Frost appears to be parsing higher on is Spoils, and that's by just a few thousand DPS.  Pretty negligible.  So at higher ilvls you could definitely roll with Fire on every fight and be fine.

Wow didn't even know about that website! :)

Thank you sir. and yeah it seems like i can roll fire without any trouble :)

so do you suggest i stay frost for a while or can i roll fire as it is now? i tryed askmrrobot and i will hit around 43% crit when i am gemmed and with molten armor ofc :)

Btw howcome there is no records for Garrosh HC 10man i noticed that on worldoflogs too :/

Sure thing!  I'd have to leave it up to our awesome Mages to answer your questions about making the switch based on ilvls.

Some of the later heroic bosses don't show anything because the guilds that have downed that content don't allow their information to be seen by the public.  Bastids!

A good rule of thumb this expansion is to only go fire if you can get over 40% crit self-buffed. Below that, you can still dish out some damage, but you don't crit enough for it to be fun to play. So if you want to go fire, you might as well change now. 

Omaric, how does those percentile settings you've made in raidbots work, what does it mean when you change the settings to 80th percentile?

It's all taken from World of Logs.  So, of the top parses that made it on there, a 50% percentile would show the people who are halfway on that chart.  I avoid 100% because those are generally the outliers that pull out all the stops and get Tricks and all that.  That's not always the case, sometimes they're really good and the rest of the raid doesn't have any carries.  That is to say that the fight ends faster, resulting in higher overall DPS due to your opener being a higher % of the total fight.

I like to sift from 50-80% because that gives you a good indication of where people really are and aren't cheesing.  Obviously some specs are ridiculous for certain fights and all the parses will be crazy (oh hi there Affliction on Protectors).

A good rule of thumb this expansion is to only go fire if you can get over 40% crit self-buffed. Below that, you can still dish out some damage, but you don't crit enough for it to be fun to play. So if you want to go fire, you might as well change now. 

Omaric, how does those percentile settings you've made in raidbots work, what does it mean when you change the settings to 80th percentile?

arhh kewl, then i just go enough to play fire :P i might try respec and play with it for some time and see if i can get used to it :P ty for the tip :P

Guest WeeWilly

Godfrey Daniels, you been playing for a month, got a 90 and with ilvl 546!  Man, I am on too leet (lol, not leek) of a wow site! 

-wee willy, "just shaking his head while wandering oft into the sunset"

Edited by WeeWilly
  • Like 1

Some of the later heroic bosses don't show anything because the guilds that have downed that content don't allow their information to be seen by the public.  Bastids!

It's actually that WoL itself doesn't support those bosses for some reason, my guild does public logs for everything but siegecrafter through Garrosh show up as normal in logs.

@dunk, even though you are at or past the "crit threshold" for fire I would highly advise that you get the 4 piece before moving from frost to fire. Without it you will likely see quite a dip in your numbers from frost to fire.

Hey it's a voltaa :)

And yeah - without 4pc for arcane or fire, frost will outperform without question.

Hey it's a voltaa :)

And yeah - without 4pc for arcane or fire, frost will outperform without question.

Yup it's me! Had to make an account so I could complain about the state of the current Arcane guide.

Also just to add that while you SHOULD need 4 piece as arcane/fire to outperform frost (outside of BiS arcane which doesn't use 4 set) if you are skilled enough at either spec you can easily do comparable damage.