FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ohm

BrM Help

First let me link my character: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Ohmie/simple

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/mal'ganis/ohmie

I was doing flex 3 the other night and I seemed to be taking a lot of spike damage on aoe pulls, bosses, etc. An example is Mal, I seemed to be good for a while and then taking huge amounts of damage the next. I'm keeping shuffle up near 100% of the time, using guard, dampen harm, etc. when I'm about to take a lot of dmg. So I'm just not sure what is happening.

Maybe my gear is not good enough for this or I should be reforging and gemming for stam/mastery instead of crit? I'm just not certain at this point. But any feedback would be helpful.

Also, my GM wants to start 10m normals next week but if this is what I'm seeing from flex, idk if normals would just destroy me or what. Any input on this also?

Hi Ohmie,

I did 6/14N at 503ilvl. Gear isnt everything.

Yes at a lower gear level you will appear more spiky, that is the nature of an avoidance style tank.

I combat that in 2 ways. Using Elusive brew alot even at less than 15 stacks if need be, pooling chi for a quick purify but dont purify too much, keeping shuffle up when i had threat and having enough energy for an oh crap expel harm.

I would stick with a crit build and liaise a bit with your healers for an external cd on high damage. Also if your offtank is plate or higher ilvl let them pull and that gives you time to stack some brew and get shuffle rolling before you taunt.

As a monk you have to use your whole toolkit all the time to be great. Wait until you have some vengence before you pop guard. Get symbiosis from a druid for savage defense etc.

Malkorok is a great one for you to taunt second and save your cd's fpr higher stacks of fatal strike, even save some elusive brew and your fort brew. Make sure you Expel harm when your shield drops or on CD when your tanking.

On the stam mastery idea. Dont do it. For the mastery to matter you need quite alot and for 10 man normal it is not a requirement at all.

As for the stam, nope also a bad idea. A monk is defined by CD, shuffle and rotation. (and a few seconds to get it all rolling :P)

Best idea, let the other tank pull the boss and then keep your buffs up and use a cd for high damage.

Ok, awesome. Thanks. I thought it might be my healers who weren't accustomed to healing a monk tank since they said Brewmasters take a lot more damage than the OT pally tank I run with who has an ilvl maybe 3 better than myself. I probably can perfect my rotation, etc. a bit as well.

When I bring some concerns up with my healers, what is the optimal way to heal a monk in this situation? Rolling HoTS? Sorry, not too familiar with healers. Also, there isn't an optimal healing class for MT healing a monk, is there?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Also, when choosing flasks/food I usually go with agi flask/ Stam food is this correct? Or should it be agility all the way?

Edited by Ohm

For healers, they shouldn't have to worry about healing you a different way.  The only thing they can really do is watch your stagger debuff and when its yellow/red make sure you're getting something significant.  While your tanking managing your stagger is also just as important for your survivability.

For consumables, I would say if you think you're dieing too much go with the stam (especially progression) and if you feel comfortable and your groups needs a bit more damage you can try agi.

I always try to say "Im pulling healers heal me" before almost every pull LOL

I also used stam flasks and food until i hit 700k hp raid buffed.

Here is the link to my alt monk who i do most of my tanking on.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Brewfetcher/advanced

As for healers just to reiterate what Krazy said. They should just heal you normally, you can however be vocal on mumble/vent and tell them "Hey i dont have any cd's for this ____, can i get a healer cd(pain suppression etc)"

Also I sometimes will kite mobs(mainly trash) by using RJW and throwing kegs to keep threat and rolling. This can mean a few less melee swings and can sometimes save you in a tight spot.

Awesome thank you fellow monks! Really valuable info.

One more question if I can squeeze it out of you before I leave you to your kegs happy.png .

It does feel like I am a bit energy starved when I get stuck in a tight spot and do not have the energy to expel harm, etc. Should I gem for more haste? I am at about 4,500 atm but I saw your other post suggesting ~9,000 haste for tyro 10m Normal raiding and wanted to inquire about that.

Edited by Ohm

If you feel energy starved then you can go more haste. Personally i have been at the 4500 breakpoint all the way through, but i do like to think i have the tanking "rotation" fairly well down packed.

I do think that 9k would be a bit extreme and if you were to need that then you are probably doing it wrong.

If you are starved perhaps head for a 6000 - 6500 for a try and then once you are more comfortable then dial it back.

More haste would be better for a brand new monk tank so they can practice their rotation and dont get punished too heavily if they jab too many time or use RJW too much, so that there is still enough energy for a Keg Smacs or EH and purify.

Personally i like to stay more at where i should be and then just practice to be better with that rather than give too much of a buffer and then allow "bad/worse" play.

But yeah 6000 ish haste might just give you that extra bit you need in progression.

Hi,

as I personally experienced, Haste doesn't change very much, you should focus on Crit/Mastery instead, they are way more valuable stats for us Brewmasters. Literally 0 Haste rating is enough to keep Shuffle rolling, everything above it allows you to make mistakes. This tier you won't be able to go below like 5k Haste anyways. :p

If you feel you are Energy-starved, you should change your "rotation".

1.) If you are low on Energy and your Shuffle drops, you are probably overpurifying. Don't. Just don't. :p

2.) Try to only use Jab if you are going to cap Energy in 1 GCD, this means if you are over 80-85 Energy.

This strategy will result in enough Chi, Energy and Shuffle uptime. There is an add-on for that if you feel like you need some help. :p

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1412208-Weak-Aura-BrM-Jab-Energy-Prediction

I hope it helps. ;D

Have fun tanking!

Adam