FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Terris

OOM , most of the time

Hello,

I'm currently a 537 R Sham with 14500 spirit, and otherwise optimized gear using AMR. I'm doing Flex SOO 1/2 mostly.

In periods of heavy or burst damage (Norushen, Galakras trash, Juggernaut comes to mind) i end up OOM very very quickly. When i check the other healers mana (usually a druid or a disc priest), they are always at 80%+ mana when i'm almost out of it.

Also, 2 manning SOO is very complicated, as there are situation when both the tank and the raid are taking heavy damage, and that's when someone usually dies because i had to make choices.

I'd appreciate any input as to how to handle mana correctly !

Thanks.

Well, for heavy dmg phases, the raid should try to stack up as much as possible. Also, whenever atlast 3 people can benefit from it, use Healing rain. Allways keep stream totem on cooldown and use healing tide and assendence+link as needed, but i'd not recommend u to stack tide with assendence and link. Also, try not to spam chain healing more than ur mana allows u. And if ur raiding with a disc / holy, try to make him use hymn for ur case even if he dosnt need it for him/her self.

Also, it'd be far easier for me to see what the problem is if you could link armory and a log from a raidnight.

I'd echo what Horcored said about logs and armoury. We can't give you much advice without seeing something like that :)

One bit of advice that I think a lot of people benefit from is; When the shit hits the fan,

Don't Panic

Panicking is probably what's causing you to heal inefficiently! This is often the case with inexperienced healers.

When things get desperate, what spells do you tend to use? As Horocored mentioned, Healing Rain is very powerful in the kind of healing situation that we described. It's very efficient, so make sure to use it and get it covering as many people as possible.

I think that your Spirit is actually very high - to give you some reference, I run with 13k Spirit and no regen trinkets. Do you have the legendary Meta gem? It helps save a lot of mana for us.

For burst damage that you can anticipate (like the Shock Pulses on Iron Juggernaut), make sure to plan your cooldowns (like Healing Tide, Spirit Link, Ascendance etc.) That really helps you to deal with those big burst phases better.

I hope that helps! :)

One good emergency tank heal is to run to the tank and SL totem and heal yourself.

Another thing is your secondaries. If you have less than 20% crit you'll be in trouble. If you have over 8k haste you'll be in trouble faster. Healing surge is fast enough. Back off on haste and get more crit until your gear is better.

Honestly, you shouldn't really be using Healing Surge unless it's a dire emergency. Greater Healing Wave is both more efficient and more powerful - if you make sure to have Tidal Waves up before you cast, it's also just as quick to cast as Healing Surge.

i would say "No healing Surge and no preliminary Riptide on raid with low gear". It's enough to Riptide only the tanks most of time in LFR. You have too high amount of Spirit to OOM. I never use more then 12K, including heroic raiding and i'm not running out of mana.

And may be more use of your MTT. Don't wait for "Low mana" announcement, drop it already when you on 60-70%. So you could use MTT 2-3 times in fight.

"no preliminary Riptide on raid with low gear"

I disagree with this; Riptide is very efficient, especially unglyphed! It's also essential to your single-target healing rotation.

ive raided 3 years as a resto, including several heroics, i rly dont get why every shaman in the world goes spirit... r shamans cant oom... my build was simple : NO spirit( i deliberitly choose non spirit gears or for as far as i coud get no spirit) then i reforged all my spirit out aswell ending up with 5.9k spirit... what i did do was going full crit, crit in everything and seek crit stat in all gears gems enchants(intelect prio ofc)

i ended up having 42% crit chance in SoO lfr gear eventually(went ele and enha with 5.4 release) i did ToT HC's without ever ooming doing roughly 160-200k hps... bcs i crit so much i get so many mana back, plus i heal an extra 30% of each crit to a low raid member. also my totem healed ridiculous amounts bcs of the number of crits it gave, i went for the 25% haste soft cap aswell, and rest of stats( exesive haste) went to mastery ending up with around 65% mastery... i Never went oom. even in cases of hard healing, one healing tide was enouf to get everyone up for the full 10s bcs of the massive heals it did, while keeping your rotation of : empowered riptide on tank(s), 2x healing wave, chain heal, healing waves riptide again. whenever 3 or more people wer sort of stacked and u know dmg is going to be done , healing rain. and spike dmges u replace healing wave with greater healing wave , wich u can keep using for a long time with this build bcs u get 8k mana back so often+ a greater heal crit for around 300k, wich then u do a 90k heal to a low member aswell for free. one thing to shaman healing is knowing when to pop your cooldowns , bcs u only have 2-3 cooldowns , but so powerfull , u need to speak with your co-healer , when to use it , and knowing when the high dmg will be up during the fight. if u manage that, im sure ull be ok. for your case i can only advise to lower your spirit a bit , and make sure u have atleast 30% crit chance ( buffed) since crit is very valuable for resto shammies.rainbow out :)

I love innovative contributions and ideas here, but please please please please don't wall-of-text. Ideas are best communicated using concise sentences, short paragraphs, and well structured text.

I'd love to post a response and analyse it a bit more, but it makes my head hurt :(

• Like 1

i just wanna put together an all warforged crit gearset now.

lol although i did copy and paste the text and space it out a bit in a word editor just so i could read it.

I think that the Crit stacking paradigm is interesting, but warrants more discussion than is appropriate here. For those who want a tried and tested method (and, incidentally, even the most hardcore Shaman do this) take ~12-13k Spirit.

If someone is particularly interested in arguing the particulars of Crit builds, please open a separate thread. We can theorycraft there until your eyes bleed.

might be nice to have a mathfest on crit:haste when you have 12.5k spirit.

just a general gear breakpoint where people can go to mr robot and say, gimme 12.5k spirit and 25% haste and then look at their crit. if its less than X% crit step down a haste breakpoint til you get upgrades.

please solve for X.