FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
eighteez

Casual Leveler Looking To Take It To The Next Level...

Basicly you have a Pve based content and Pvp based content which both have a different approach of playing them. If i am correct you were a bit dazzled by all of the options available. So what I meant to say it might be better to focus on one thing and figure that out. The other part can come later.

Anyaway good luck on your search

Not looking to be carried. Just for some direction. I feel overwhelmed with all of the things I know nothing about. You’d think after making all the way to 90 you’d pick these things up. But that is in no way the truth. Its like I’m done with part one of the game, now I move into part 2. But its not clear what part 2 is… I don’t even know if I know what all of my options are.

I feel like I walked into the “so, you are level 90 now” room. I’m waiting for someone to walk up and say “Ok, now your lvl 90. Lets have a look… Ok, no no no this wont work at all. In any PvP contest, prepare to be trounced. Go work on this. I’d suggest going here and here and here. Once you have that worked out then come on back and we’ll talk again.”

Openraid: I looked at that site. It made my head spin. I have no clue what most of the forum topics even mean. There are so many abbreviations I don't know where to start...

I'm assuming this is a suggestion to do Mougushan Vaults on normal first. Then Heart of Fear on normal, then Tearece of the endless springs on normal. 

Then all 3 on heroic once I finish them on normal. 

Not sure I follow here. Each raid has 5 pieces of gear that are like a matched set? And if you have certain combinations of pieces there are bonuses involved? Completing the raid awards some of this gear? Will I need to do the same raid multiple times to receive the entire set? Is that set of gear useful only until I complete the next raid up the tier list? Then I'm scrapping it for the next set?

Very helpful, thank you. 

Is there any particular order that I should be doing things? It feels like improving my gear is priority one right now. Is the best way to do that (in anyone's opinion) to loot it from drops in game? Where? Quests? Dungeons? Or build up rep so I can buy it? Or to do raids to get it?

See how this can be overwhelming to a noob? Maybe its just me.

For me, the fun comes from the challenge, but a possible challenge. Staying in the part of the curve where you need to work for it but there is a chance of success. I'm getting my ass handed to me everywhere I go now that I've bailed out of the "linear questing chains". Apparently I'm powerful enough to take on the quest mobs, but any of the big elites lumbering around will stomp me instantly. Everything on the timeless aisle is stomping me. Where does a lvl 90 go when they are done questing? 

I do enjoy different pets and mounts. The visual side of stuff hasn't intrigued me any. My main toon is a gatherer. Herbalism and Mining are his profs. Supplying stuff for my alts. Or selling stuff when I can. 

I pretty much skipped dungeons. They don't seem to be necessary to get to 90. Perhaps they would have allowed me to get there quicker. My issue with dungeons is it forces me to play with strangers and I am quite apprehensive to do so as I havent a clue what the expectation is of me. I mash buttons... I have no strategy. I need hunter classes. I missed the part of the game where your class trainers actually train you. They just add buttons to my action bars. No training at all. "Here, another button for you. Good luck!" smile.png

my goal? I dont know what my goal is now. I'm done leveling. I know that much. What are my options now? Raids and Battlegrounds? Those are the 2? Or are there more? 

My guild is useless. There are about 3 active members. All PvE levelers like me. I have felt like a hamster on a treadmill from day one. Now I'm off the treadmill. Looking for the real meat of this game. 

Not having any comfort level with strangers has me wondering if my involvement with WoW is finished. As from here on out its 100% playing with others it seems. My days of soloing are over I think. True?

What is it that being in an active guild is supposed to accomplish? Is it just the social aspect? Making friends to play with? Or are there game mechanics that are necessary to be competitive?

I'm great with stupid analogies. I feel like getting to 90 is graduating high school. Now I'm out. 

I think that you need to decide whether you want to do PvE content or PvP content for now.  With an active guild roster of 3, you can do arenas (PvP), but if you want to do PvE content, other than LFR, then you will want to find a larger guild that can help you.  Normal raids can be either 10 man or 25 man, and herioc is the same - 10 or 25 people.  If you want to do solo content, the Timeless Isle is a great place to be, but if you cant kill anything, then stick to mainland Pandaria or the Isle of Thunder and do quests there.  Doing dalies nets 5 valor per quest, which can be a great way to gain valor for upgrades in gear.  The Shado-Pan Assault on the Isle of Thunder gives ilvl 522 gear, and with a couple of those and some LFR gear from Mogu Shan Vaults, Heart of Fear/Terrace of Endless Springs, and Throne of Thunder you can easily solo Timeless Isle creatures.  I highly recommend doing Heroic dungeons and regular Scenarios until you get a high enough ilvl to do MSV (460), then do MSV until you get enough gear to do HoF and ToES (470) until you are around ilvl 485 or so.  Even though you can queue for ToT at 480,  485 will help to assure that you won't be at the bottom of the dps list (espically is you read the guides here).  Keep doing ToT until you are around ilvl 500 to queue for Siege of Orgrimar.  All along the way you should be doing the Legendary Quest Line, which will award you with some very good gems (1 sha-touched, only usable in HoF/ToES weapons, and the LMG, a very powerful meta gem), a prismatic socket to your ToT weapon, and eventually a legendary cloak. 

• Like 1

My current item level is 458 I think... I've also moved this toon to another server where a friend has had some success getting in with a larger and more active guild.

I think my immediate plans will be to build up valor doing dailies. I did a few fishing dailies that gave me some. I need to top off my fishing too...

I'll also look into trying some dungeon finder and looking for raid action. Staying at the lowest tier for raids, and heroic for the recommended dungeons.

And I'll check out the isle of thunder.

You mentioned the "legendary quest" line. I need to find out where this begins...

Great info, thank you. This is helping me whittle down options for sure. Clarity is coming!

Thanks!

it seems to me that u need alot of information and a conversation rather then a forum discusen, i would sugest that u tryed to talk to someone about it all, in some form of chat either voice or messenger,

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Hopefully I can join up with my friend and his new guildmates. Then get that convo rolling.

This all helped very much though. I appreciate all who contributed. It has de-clouded things for me.

Thanks again for your patience.

Edited by eighteez

My current item level is 458 I think... I've also moved this toon to another server where a friend has had some success getting in with a larger and more active guild.

I think my immediate plans will be to build up valor doing dailies. I did a few fishing dailies that gave me some. I need to top off my fishing too...

I'll also look into trying some dungeon finder and looking for raid action. Staying at the lowest tier for raids, and heroic for the recommended dungeons.

And I'll check out the isle of thunder.

You mentioned the "legendary quest" line. I need to find out where this begins...

Great info, thank you. This is helping me whittle down options for sure. Clarity is coming!

Thanks!

Nowadays gearing is really easy. Running a lot of dungeons (normal or heroic) or scenario's (also normal and heroic) should get you a lot of Justice Points (currency). You can use JP (Justice Points) to get 489 gear from the JP vendor at the temple of Niuzao (located in Townlong Steppes). Running those things also grants you VP (Valor Points) with a maximal cap of 1000 per week and 3000 in total. Save as much VP to eventually upgrade the better gear..from 528 ilvl and higher will be worth upgrading.

Near the JP vendor you can also find the Shado-Pan Assault Quartermaster which allows you to buy items of ilvl 522 for some amount of valor points. You can buy more gear as you gain more reputation with the Shado-Pan Assault (you'll need to do Throne of Thunder - ToT for that rep). For the gearing part I would also like to suggest that you do World Bosses. You can find 4 of them on the Timeless Isle (kill 1 celestial world boss) and if you are lucky it could drop gloves or leggings of the current raid tier for you with an ilvl of 553 which can be upgraded to 561.

On the Isle of Thunder you can find the old World boss Nalak that can drop tieritems as well, only his drops were good for last raiding tier (tier 15). Those items have a maximum ilvl of 522 which is still good untill you get better.

As far as gearing goes your aim should be to collect as much as 553 gear suited for your class ( mail - agility). You could search the AH for gear but it will cost you a lot of gold. There is a lot more to tell, but I think I have covered some of the basics for gearing at the moment.

Good luck out There

• Like 1

i was thinking about what i first did when i hit max level and i think my first good lesson was that it's all about the Tuesdays.

leveling and endgame are definitely 2 completely different games. i was in the same shape as you when i hit max level back when it was 80. i just did stuff and was bad and met a huge range of people. I worked for weeks to build lists of names of people who could play each role: tank, damage, and healer. I bugged over ten tanks and healers a day just to run one dungeon. out of every 30 people i made a group with, i'd make one friend maybe. it was months before i realized that dungeons reset every day (now around 4-6 am server) and raids reset every tuesday.

tuesday is like a holiday in wow. it's a fresh start for raiders. every week we kill bosses in a raid and each boss that dies drops a few pieces of gear. if what you wanted didnt drop, better luck next week. then when tuesday rolls around everyone is chomping at the bit to get in and kill those bosses again. that's pretty much the whole engame experience. the current biggest baddest raid has the bosses that are the hardest to kill, and every tuesday is a fresh chance for your group to go in and try to kill them.

that's the main part of the raid experience at 90. it takes so much coordination and teamwork to kill the hardest bosses on the hardest difficulty that groups of 10 and 25 people show up and try to win as much as possible within one week. and then they do it again until something new comes out.

I'm not following the "reset" thing with raids.

They aren't like instances (dungeons) which as far as I know are available anytime.

So today (Tuesday) what happens? And what goes on until next Tuesday?

Question for anyone here. It was suggested (if I read correctly) to save valor points for upgrading lvl 528 and up gear.

Why not upgrade gear of lower levels? Like the few pieces of 496 gear I found in between deaths on the Timeless isle... :)

By resetting on Tuesdays, kitsu means that the first time you kill a raid boss you get a chance of loot, and subsequent kills of that boss will only allow you to get loot from bonus rolls. Every Tuesday the raids 'reset' meaning that you can kill the boss again and get a chance of loot without a bonus roll.

I know, I know, bad explanations are bad, but this is the est explanation I can give.....

What are bonus rolls?

Each raid tier has a currency attached to a system of bonus rolling to have a chance at extra gear from that raid boss.

The currency for the current tier(siege of ogrimmar) is a once per week quest where you can trade 50 lesser charms(looted of enemies all over pandaria, bust most easily from the timeless isle) for 3 warforged seals. This means that when you successfully kill a raid boss an extra window pops up showing that you have 3 coins and asks if you would like to use 1 of these coins for a chance of a piece of loot/gear. This makes it important to know which items you need from which boss so that essentially for 1 kill you get 2 chances to acquire the best loot for you(coins are usable per kill until you run out. the once per week chance at loot for killing is what resets on the tuesdays).

Previous tiers use different currency (not warforged seals), these can be bought from a vendor on the timeless isle by spending timeless coins(looted from all mobs/some profession gathering) on the timeless isle.

The best advice would be found on vent/mumble/teamspeak with a conversation with someone who knows their way around.

Which server are you on? i may be able to help sometime if the realm you are on i have a toon or can CRZ(cross realm zone/can group with players from another realm) on timeless isle and show you around?

wow has a lot of little intricacies that make sense to everyone who was there when they were rolled out, but it's a learn as you do kinda thing. just find some people doing something and go with them. you'll catch up.

I'm on Exodar.

The raids that reset. Does each toon get a shot once per week no matter what? Even if it's not until Sunday or monday?

Or does the first person there use up the drop for that boss? And now nobody can get anything?

Question for anyone here. It was suggested (if I read correctly) to save valor points for upgrading lvl 528 and up gear.

Why not upgrade gear of lower levels? Like the few pieces of 496 gear I found in between deaths on the Timeless isle... smile.png

could still use some opinions here too if anyone has one.

Edited by eighteez

LFR loot is personal, so you either get an item or a bag of gold. so each tuesday everyone has a week to kill any bosses they can. tuesday and wednesday are the busiest days. weekends have the most kids playing and can be the worst days to play LFR.

Normal and Heroic Raids have the boss drop loot and the group distributes that loot with any of various pre-agreed upon systems. no need to worry about that stuff for a while.

One can only earn 1000 valor per week. One can only hold up to 3000 valor. the 1000 valor earned per week restarts every tuesday. if, at the start of the week, you have more than 2000 valor, then upgrade what you have. else, save your valor for better gear.

simple gear priority:

priority 1 - weapon. weapons have the most power and should be upgraded first 

priority 2 - trinkets, head, chest, and legs

priority 3 - all others

timeless isle ilvl 496 gear is worse than gear that you find in raids of equal ilvl. the exception is helmets. if you find an item called "Burden of Eternity" you can upgrade an unused timeless gear token to a 535 ilvl piece of gear. the helm is the best slot for this. after helm comes rings and neck.

Another option is start a toon on a different server where someone will help you and get you out in the world. Or find someone where you are that you can go with and learn from.

If you start a toon on Terokkar (horde), myself and guildies would be willing to help you out , get you geared and explain the finer points of what your behind on. All of us left level 25 guilds to have a drama free environment to play, quest and raid in we also love mount runs and achieve runs.

M.

If you interested message me here.

If it matters, my main toon is Krackshot. Marksmanship Hunter on Nesingwary.

I just joined the Icy-Veins forums, so if the post doesn't come through correctly you will know why.  Anyways, my main is a hunter named Tygranas on Vek'nilash.  My server was connected to your server, Nesingwary, a few months back.  If you want to chat in game, run a few raids, whatever, shoot me in game mail and I'll assist you when I can.