FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Blackshade

How much crit is enough?

Hi,

I've been experimenting stacking crit on my Assassination rogue since T16 2pc bonus reduces energy cost when SF procs. I tried it out after reading somewhere that crit is the way to go if you have that tier bonus.

The thing is, I've been stacking crit ever since, then choosing between haste or mastery depending on the item... Now, idk if I'm stacking too much crit and ignoring other stats like mastery (which until 2pc was top stat)

Right now I'm standing on 41.10% crit, 28.11% haste and 65.20% mastery unbuffed with a 564 ilvl.

I am doing reasonable dps, depending on the fight, massive bursts even on multiple adds fights like 400k - 550k bursts vs Galakras right on the 1st sets of adds or bursting 700k vs Malkorok. But it's not the bursts that concern me, but maintaining good dps.

It's not like I'm doing shit dps, not at all. But it seems that other classes with lower ilvl than I have (by 15, 10ilvls) are doing as much as I am, sometimes even more.

I'm used to being on top of the meters on some fights, but lately I've been kicked down through 2nd to 4th and I see them around 280k while I stand at 260k-270k. And it's always a Mage or a Hunter.

I apologize I do not have logs to show, non of us keeps tabs on logs, nor have I ever known how to create a log (neither the patience to look up how it's done... sheer laziness). I do not feel something is wrong with my rotation:

Mut in stealth;

if 2cps > SnD, if 3cps > rupture;

blindside (if it procced) + mut and cast SnD/Rup depending on my prev action.

Then I go from there, refreshing rupts at -2secs (always try to do 5pts since I am specced anticipation) and 5pts Envenoms (unless I need to refresh my SnD asap which doesnt happen much unless I have multiple targets or waiting times between mechanics). I think there's nothing wrong with my rota since I've always played Ass'n.. however, I could be wrong. With so many changes I might be missing something here.

I've also heard that after 560 ilvl, a rogue should go Combat. I can't see why (never liked the damn spec anyway) but after looking at top guilds, I see that all their rogues are combat. Should I even waste time looking into it? I've got a slow agi sword and a few pieces for OS, no one in my guild needs anymore vanq tokens so I could easily get a extra set of tiers for combat. But it's a spec I always hated to play as, and I feel really comfortable as ass'n.

Conclusion:

1) What's the ideal stat setup for an Assassination rogue to excel? Crit>haste>mastery?

2) How much crit should I aim for? 30%? 35%? 40%??

3) Is combat that good after 560 ilvl? So much better than Ass'n?

Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Blackshade/advanced

Thank you for reading,

Blackshade

Edited by Blackshade

I generaly as assaination try an still get haste Mastery gear.  then reforge out of mastery into Crit.  and Gem pur Agi and agi haste gems.  Gives a good rotational feel. I preffer to go to Shadowcraft and use the customn reforge Crit/Haste/Mastery.

I know you said how much ...Im not that great at numbers.  but what I said above worked real well for me.

I generaly as assaination try an still get haste Mastery gear.  then reforge out of mastery into Crit.  and Gem pur Agi and agi haste gems.  Gives a good rotational feel. I preffer to go to Shadowcraft and use the customn reforge Crit/Haste/Mastery.

I know you said how much ...Im not that great at numbers.  but what I said above worked real well for me.

I'd say mastery and haste are pretty equal once you have T16 2PC bonus and crit becomes the thing to get. Besides, you don't need much haste due to Venomous wounds and tier bonus. Also, whenever I'm feeling low on energy and quickly need a few CP's to refresh a rupture with as much CP's as possible, I vanish so Shadow Focus pops up and mut back into combat. It really helps boast your energy slightly enough to keep your rotation going.