FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bromstein

How DPS I should do at 509 ilvl?

Alter time should always be used in a way that "captures" the maximum duration of your icy veins+procs (as well as racial/engineering buff if it's relevant), and preferably when you have a charge of brain freeze and 2 of FoF.

Do you have any logs so we can look at your dps ?

At ilvl 509 you shouldn't actually worry a lot about your DPS. Itemization is far from perfect most of the times on that level and you'd better be just getting more gear.

Alter time should be used when most of damage increasing buffs are up. They don't have to be at their maximum duration tho, but that's the best case.

As what spec? At 509 it's simple. Just try to get higher item level gear and don't care what stats are on it.

Regardless of spec, start now getting in the habit of paying attention to your buffs and procs, get an addon like TellMeWhen and pay attention to it. Be sure to set up timer overlays or whatever works for your style that lets you always know what is magnifying your damage. This helps you plan your alter time. When you have good buffs up, or potion, use alter time. Arcane handles AT a little differently to capture stacks and at your ilvl you'll want to Glyph AP and capture that with the buff and get a free ABr from 4x stack, then try to get buffs on top of it.

Try to get your meta gem and legendary cloak, it's huge. All current mage math is so heavily influenced by that meta gem proc. Without it, none of the current guides really even apply to you so they will confuse you.

At your gear level, if you go frost, then the guide applies even less to you because you're still at a period where stat weights suggest you stack crit until shatter cap! So I don't recommend really even worrying much about anything until ilvl 522. At that point, you'll want to check what your stat weights are and go from there.

If you go frost, I'll be your life coach. If you go arcane or fire I offer less support but I still will help you as much as possible if you post. Oltier knows a bit more about fire, and I can dig up Voltaa for arcane help if I can't answer an arcane question.

I just killed Garrosh for the first time the other day and someone gave me shit for only having 80k dps at the end.  I thought I did pretty okay considering my ilvl was around the same (513ish) and I was on the engineer.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Darknecross/advanced

here's my armory.  I figured I should hold off on getting gems and enchants until I have all 520+ gear.

If you can't be bothered to gem/enchant your gear I don't think you are doing yourself or your team mates any favors.  Simple DPS increase for no effort whatsoever...

If you can't be bothered to gem/enchant your gear I don't think you are doing yourself or your team mates any favors.  Simple DPS increase for no effort whatsoever...

why waste gold on enchanting and gemming gear you're likely to replace in a run or two?  as you can see, most of my 520+ gear is gemmed and enchanted, only those that I think I'm going to replace relatively soon are not.  

why waste gold on enchanting and gemming gear you're likely to replace in a run or two?  as you can see, most of my 520+ gear is gemmed and enchanted, only those that I think I'm going to replace relatively soon are not.  

If you are looking to raid beyond LFR, I for one would not consider it a waste but an investment in your raiding future.

As someone who has been a recruitment officer for a raid team, I believe people should think of their armory as the first impression someone will have of you. If a raid group/guild is checking out your armory to see if they want to extend an invite to you and sees that you are missing enchants, gems, reforging, and upgrades they are most likely going to come to the conclusion that you either are looking for a carry or you don't really care enough to optimize your performance. Neither of these impressions are likely to aid you in getting an invite. You might be the best mage in the world, but because you gave that bad first impression you won't get a chance to show your skill.

As for replacing gear in a run or two, I must say you are quite the optimist. It took me 31 Immerseus kills and bonus rolls between LFR, Flex, and Normal to get the trinket.

If you are looking to raid beyond LFR, I for one would not consider it a waste but an investment in your raiding future.

As someone who has been a recruitment officer for a raid team, I believe people should think of their armory as the first impression someone will have of you. If a raid group/guild is checking out your armory to see if they want to extend an invite to you and sees that you are missing enchants, gems, reforging, and upgrades they are most likely going to come to the conclusion that you either are looking for a carry or you don't really care enough to optimize your performance. Neither of these impressions are likely to aid you in getting an invite. You might be the best mage in the world, but because you gave that bad first impression you won't get a chance to show your skill.

As for replacing gear in a run or two, I must say you are quite the optimist. It took me 31 Immerseus kills and bonus rolls between LFR, Flex, and Normal to get the trinket.

As I said!!  I'm going to enchant/gem the gear that is above 520-- the gear I assume is what you need to be decent in flexes.

Not to come of cross or anything but that is the opposite of what raynman proposed. You should gem, enchant and reforge all of it. It looks better so you can get in to the Flex, and you will perform better when in them. 

If you are really low on gold I can kinda understand it and you have my sympathies but being a raider is unfortunately not free. Good luck!

• Like 1