FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mode

Need advice on how to became great warlock

Hello friends Warlocks!

First things first:

Armouryhttp://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Slibinas/advanced

NOTE: i got some items yesterday and didn't had time to gem/enchant ... them. I will do it with mr Robot help later today. 

Logshttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-utfo88ja4e4hq9s0/details/9/?enc=bosses

1. So first my question would be, what i am doing wrong? Because i feel that i am not doing good at all. Need some critics with advice how to improve my self.

2. Second question would be. What is better staff or dagger + offhand? 

3. Need some tips on how to do with moving and casting?

p.s. Zagam, you helped me once a year ago with affliction, please help me second time to became a great destruction warlock.

respectfully,

Slibinas

Edited by Mode

Immolate uptime is bad.  On almost every fight.

Chaos Bolt damage not higher than Incinerate damage.  This means poor spell casting decisions with trinkets up.

Dark Soul being used 2 times on fights that last 4:45 and 4:20.  Both should have 3 uses.

2 Shadowburns on Iron Juggernaut.  5 Shadowburns on Malkorok.

You may have skimmed the DPS FAQ, but I only looked at four issues and saw problems with all 4.  If you're not sure how to read your logs, check out the World of Logs Guide I wrote in the Dungeons and Raids section of the forums.  You have many gameplay issues and you'll do far better to inspect them yourself and go try to correct them.

Immolate uptime is bad.  On almost every fight.

Chaos Bolt damage not higher than Incinerate damage.  This means poor spell casting decisions with trinkets up.

Dark Soul being used 2 times on fights that last 4:45 and 4:20.  Both should have 3 uses.

2 Shadowburns on Iron Juggernaut.  5 Shadowburns on Malkorok.

You may have skimmed the DPS FAQ, but I only looked at four issues and saw problems with all 4.  If you're not sure how to read your logs, check out the World of Logs Guide I wrote in the Dungeons and Raids section of the forums.  You have many gameplay issues and you'll do far better to inspect them yourself and go try to correct them.

I am very bad when it comes to move with warlock. Maybe Zagam you can give me some advice here?

For example i am running to take black pool from Malkorok. How to do dps when?

Edited by Mode

I am very bad when it comes to move with warlock. Maybe Zagam you can give me some advice here?

Kil'Jaedens Cunning is your answer then.

• Like 1

Kil'jaeden's Cunning, and Conflagrate.

• Like 1

So maybe a good approach is to take the things that Zagam gave you in his peek at the logs and work them first. Immolate uptime is pretty easy to improve; you should be able to quickly make that better. Chaos Bolt damage being lower than Incinerate means that you are not waiting for trinket procs to cast CB. Are you tracking procs? Cast Dark Soul on CD (or when you get a proc from Purified Bindings of Immerseus). Get those things down and your dps will improve, and then you can work on the next tier of things, like worrying about movement.

Edited by Errinkel

Thank you guys.

I will try to improve my immolate first and will cast chaos bold when i have some proc.

Should i use Dark soul always after cd or should i wait for trinket proc? 

Edited by Mode

Since you have purified bindings, you should use dark soul on pull, then try to line it up with the purified bindings proc for the rest of the fight, since it pretty reliably procs every 2 minutes.

Can you guys tell me. How much i should be doing dmg with my current gear in soo normal? (Please tell me your opinion, raw numbers would be perfect).

Can you guys tell me. How much i should be doing dmg with my current gear in soo normal? (Please tell me your opinion, raw numbers would be perfect).

This is impossible to answer considering the variables that go into your DPS including player skill, raid composition, and fight mechanics. 

I just said it's impossible to answer.  You're looking for an overall number which is impossible to answer considering the different types of encounters.  DPS goes up exponentially with item level.  RNG is too big of an issue to approximate damage based on item level.  Damage is based on your application of knowledge of the spec as well as RNG factors.  Can't do any evaluation without logs.  Period.

I have a question about soo normal and "The Fallen Protectors" fight, should i use immolate on all targets? or just keep on one target which is "active" at the moment?

I have a question about soo normal and "The Fallen Protectors" fight, should i use immolate on all targets? or just keep on one target which is "active" at the moment?

All. Personally I don't put a lot of work in to keeping it up on all of them but I normally keep it up on at least two at all times. Glyphed Havoc is awesome, use it like mad.

Is glyphed havoc useful when you are able to cast every time its off CD? Not at my computer so I can't look at the maths myself. Could see it being useful for doubling super nukes during dark soul/trinket procs.

It's pretty awesome if you can time it with trinkets.  Having it on a 1m CD makes it so it's available every minute interval so it hits Dark Soul and PBI which is fantastic.  2 globals and you can fire off 2 CBs which become 4 CBs that hit for 2M each.  What up. 

Non-glyphed Havoc has its utility on shorter needs for cleaving.  However, glyphing it is pretty sexy.

How to use glyphed Havoc, an excerpt from the mind of Kazistrasz with influences by Zagam and Locky:

(1) Use glyphed havoc immediately in any multi-target opener so that you a) spend less time putting Immolate on everything and b) get extra embers in your opener for SUPER CHAOS BOLT SPAM.

- When I do this, say on Protectors or Shamans where I have 3+ targets, I set one boss as focus before the fight starts. Then, I do my normal pre-pot and pre-cast Incinerate and Immolate (so that Immolate hits at 0 at the same time as Incinerate) followed by using my macro to Havoc my focus and switching to another target (not the one I opened on and not the one with Havoc). Typically, there's two targets I'm not super crazy about being on immediately and the kill target. I usually set a non-kill target as my focus and the initial pre-cast spells are on another non-kill target so that when I do this target change, I'm going to the kill target. At this point, I go into the normal opener of Immolate, 2x Conflag, and spam Incinerate until I can get two or three (depending on timing) super special awesome Chaos Bolts onto the target, then drop Rain of Fire if they're stacked, and refresh Immolate (on non-focus targets if there are any charges left on Havoc) and do my normal thing.

(2) Use glyphed Havoc with every CD cycle (DS and PBI). My minimum goal is to get four CBs out in that 20-second window, but why have four WHEN YOU CAN HAVE SIX!?

(3) Use off CD cycle as ember generator.

- You'll see a bigger DPS increase when you use the six charges on Havoc to reapply Immolate and spam Conflag/Incin than just blowing it on Chaos Bolts. HOWEVER...

(4) Use for Chaos Bolts IF AND ONLY IF (iff) you have a proc.

- If KTT procs, barring back-to-back procs, I'm going to have embers ready to go. Havoc and blast things. If it's a back-to-back proc where Havoc is coming up and I'm nowhere near two embers, use Havoc for one CB and ember generation to hopefully get another CB before the 10 seconds is up (even without Havoc on the second).

Thank you for advice about havoc! 

Few logs where i think i did great with immolate up time:

94% - Iron Jugernaut - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ieg9lusj6ov1xn7q/details/27/?s=2966&e=3237

98.9% - Malkorokhttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ieg9lusj6ov1xn7q/details/27/?s=8833&e=9074

but still have problem with shadow burn and chaos bolt.

Galakras - fight i was assigned to go to towers. How immolate up time could be improved here?

Shamans - immolate up time is just 77% my bad, try to improve it with Havoc next time!

General Nazgrim - immolate up time 71%. We cant make damage to nazgrim while it is in defence stance, so how can i improve my immolate here?

Spoils of pandaria - total chaos... immolate up time just 24%. How to improve my self on this boss?

And i also need advice how to improve shadow burn? Because on last 20% of boss life i am using all my embers.. but boss goes down very fast...

About chaos bolt i am getting into the "proc"... It seams that i am almost able to predict when my trinkets will proc.. Will try to improve my self, need more practice :) 

Thank you for advice about havoc! 

Few logs where i think i did great with immolate up time:

94% - Iron Jugernaut - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ieg9lusj6ov1xn7q/details/27/?s=2966&e=3237

98.9% - Malkorokhttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ieg9lusj6ov1xn7q/details/27/?s=8833&e=9074

but still have problem with shadow burn and chaos bolt.

Galakras - fight i was assigned to go to towers. How immolate up time could be improved here?

Shamans - immolate up time is just 77% my bad, try to improve it with Havoc next time!

General Nazgrim - immolate up time 71%. We cant make damage to nazgrim while it is in defence stance, so how can i improve my immolate here?

Spoils of pandaria - total chaos... immolate up time just 24%. How to improve my self on this boss?

And i also need advice how to improve shadow burn? Because on last 20% of boss life i am using all my embers.. but boss goes down very fast...

About chaos bolt i am getting into the "proc"... It seams that i am almost able to predict when my trinkets will proc.. Will try to improve my self, need more practice smile.png

Poor decision on raid leader's behalf to assign you to towers.  If you are assigned to towers, try not to analyze logs too much.  Remember, Galakras is a glorified trash pull with an elite mob at the end.  Shadowburn could/should be your top damage source unless you're doing towers.  Destro is so powerful at AoE and executing...this is why it's silly to assign Warlocks to towers.

For Dark Shamans, it's largely dependent on your strategy.  If you multi-dot at the start and then the bosses are separated, multi-dotting goes out.  It's also more important to Fire and Brimstone slimes over putting Immolate up on Kardris.  This is why an Immolate uptime of 90% is a good goal to strive for.  You can use DBM to track when Toxic Totem is coming and reapply Immolate before going on an AoE fest.

For Nazgrim, you will apply like...2-3 Rage by reapplying Immolate.  Don't tell anyone I told you this, but I tend to do this because it helps with the bursting of the adds during this phase.  The entire goal of Defensive Stance isn't to AVOID HIM COMPLETELY...it's to avoid Ravagers and War Songs if possible.  Some tidbits on Nazgrim: any DoT or spell application that doesn't do initial damage will NOT generate rage.  Immolate DOES, but it doesn't generate rage on each tick.  Go ahead and keep Immo up.  If your raid leader rages, point him to this post.  Other spells you can use on Nazgrim include Black Arrow and Vampiric Touch.  There are some others.  Just don't pummel him with Incinerate or let a Rogue go all stabby stabby on him. 

Spoils isn't about Immolate.  You keep Immolate up on the big mobs.  Other than that, Havoc should be used on CD and you should be Shadowburning the living shit out of anything that drops below 20%.  Again, Spoils is a glorified trash pull with a couple of elite mobs.  Treat it as such.  My guess is you put too much of an emphasis on Immolate and missed out on flinging Chaos Bolts and Shadowburns around with the opportunities to build embers with Shadowburn.

Unsure what you mean about improving Shadowburn with bosses dying too fast.  There's absolutely no way you're unable to get off 4 globals in the time it takes any boss to get from 20% to 0%.  The goal is to use all of your embers before a fight ends.  I tend to sit on my embers waiting for a trinket proc or Dark Soul unless the fight is about to end.  I dump all of my Shadowburns when a boss hits 2-3% regardless of trinket procs.  Do NOT use Shadowburn on CD with no procs up in execute phase.  Treat it like you do Chaos Bolt before execute phase.

• Like 1

Need one more advice.

On Garrosh encounter i am assigned to go to engineers and want to ask advice how to do this part as best as possible?

I am talking about all fight. Engineers goes down fast, but still i lose lots of dps while i am far away from boss. Immolate goes down, "proc" of trinkets goes wasted and so on... How can i do better?

Edited by Mode

AoE on the trash doesn't matter in Phase 1.  Everyone loves to AoE the shit out of the adds to look better on the DPS meters, but it's largely inconsequential.  Kill the Engineer and focus on single target damage on Garrosh and the Desecrated Weapons.  If your raid isn't using a knockback to kill the adds via the unstopped Iron Star, you're doing the fight harder than it needs to be done.

Hunters are by far the best to do Engineers.  I'd follow Hunters with Mages then Warlocks.  Either way, it doesn't matter who does it.  It just needs done.