Fouton

Protection Paladin Analysis Week

Analysis Week Feedback   3 members have voted

1. 1. Was this Analysis Chart helpful to you?

• Yes
    • No (Please PM Fouton with more information)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

Hello Protection Paladins!

I've come up with a nice spreadsheet for analyzing your DPS and Survivability, inspired by Akraen's Frost Mage version. I will be watching this thread for the upcoming week to analyze all those who ask for some help.

What you need to do: reply to this thread with any difficulty of Malkorok log.

What you will receive: A picture of the spreadsheet, like the example below, that can tell you what spells you've used, their average damage, and the overall DPS loss by misusing them. It will also analyze your Shield of the Righteous and Eternal Flame uptime on yourself, to determine your increased damage intake, and self healing losses.

Example:

ExamplePaladinAnalysis3_zps8aba94eb.png

Update 1: I removed a useless part of data visible for when I originally planned on using Iron Juggernaut. I also realized I didn't add a tracker for Divine Purpose.

1 person likes this

Indulge meeeeeeee! /cries

It's not that we don't love you.  But I've been too much of a panzy to tank raids, gave up prot when all the mechanics changed in MoP.

1 person likes this

They decided to revamp tanking, instead of revamp the fact that our only boss mechanic is a taunt swap -.-

You know I love ya Fouton, but I don't tank raids, and when I do, I'm a Blood DK :P lately, that's just for soloing Firelands bosses xD

tongue.png It's fine, I'll have a Ret version of this coming out very soon!

Edit: This is pure lies. Ret paladins have way too much RNG to be to make a simple spreadsheet to do math for me, I would have to program my own simulator just to make it accurate. If I even bother to go for this, the Ret version is going to be delayed by at least 1-2 weeks.

I fear analysis.  I'm one of those people that knows what they do wrong, and just don't know how to improve the human error element.  haha

Well, if it makes you feel any better; from what I've analyzed even some of the top players seem to get around a 93% or so

Posted for Garthvedar:

Hey Jackspeare,

I took your logs and applied them on my analysis spreadsheet, which I've posted the results in my Protection Paladin Weekly Analysis thread. I'll also respond here as well.

Here is the spreadsheet's analysis:

JackspeareAnalysis_zps8ae8985b.png

Firstly, don't be too discouraged by the low percents on the Expected DPS, and Expected Survivability. The main reason this is so low is due to the uptimes on your Eternal Flame and Shield of the Righteous.

I'd like to point out that this chart is based on the average damage of each of your abilities in that one fight, and is assuming your haste as you said it was. The Damage Taken section accounts for the absorbs on your melee just to allow for an accurate assumption of the damage taken increase based on your lower uptime.

What these numbers mean:

The spreadsheet itself is solely meant to analyze your rotation. This shows that you could be doing 50% more damage if you followed the rotation: CS, Judgement, FILLER, CS, FILLER, Judgement, CS, FILLER, FILLER. No matter what spells you have off CD, following this exact rotation will allow you to have less empty GCDs where you just stand there unable to attack. That is the cause for most paladins' DPS loss. Since your rotation is not being followed accurately, it is also causing you to miss some Shield of the Righteous uses and Eternal Flame uses, which is the reason for your large survivability loss.

Other Issues:

There are other reasons as to why your dps is so low. The first reason is that you aren't a part of Blood Rages, which means you're losing a substantial amount of vengeance and DPS. If that's the strategy your team works with, you'll have to accept lower DPS during this fight. You also seem to have tanked the boss only 60% as long as your druid friend (excluding blood rages) which means your vengeance was so minimal compared to theirs. All this means that you tank for no time at all, and do much less DPS because of it.

Combining this with your rotation, is the large issue behind your DPS loss. Once you perfect your rotation, you will be doing the reasonable amount of DPS you should be doing. I wouldn't worry about the part where you aren't tanking, because it could just be that its better for the group if Mr. Bear does. Personally I don't think it is, since Paladins have SO many CDs available during Blood Rage, and if you're not tanking blood rages, you'd be a much more suitable tank for the normal portions, since you have all your CDs available for those moments.

Finally, I suggest getting the 4set bonus as fast as you possibly can. It would increase your Eternal Flame from a possible 90% to 99%, and it would allow your Shield of the Righteous to be able to go from 61.68% to 74.02%. It's a very powerful bonus, not to mention it would also allow you to deal more damage overall due to each eternal flame coming back as a Shield of the Righteous. Surprisingly enough, as calculated by Theck, if you were to be using normal tier instead of heroic warforged offpieces, it is still a survivability gain.

I hope this could be of use to you, good luck!

For Lumierenoire:

Note: It's harder to get correct values from WorldofLogs instead of WarcraftLogs, though I believe this is 99% accurate.

Here's the spreadsheet analysis:

PhotonAnalysis_zps70f750dc.png

What these numbers mean:

The spreadsheet itself is solely meant to analyze your rotation. This shows that you could be doing 10% more damage if you followed the rotation: CS, Judgement, FILLER, CS, FILLER, Judgement, CS, FILLER, FILLER. No matter what spells you have off CD, following this exact rotation will allow you to have less empty GCDs where you just stand there unable to attack. That is the cause for most paladins' DPS loss. Your rotation was used fairly well, however you leaned more towards Consecration and Holy Wrath, rather than sticking to the holy power generators. I do notice a Hammer of Wrath when Malkorok never went under 20%, so nice target switching!

Another thing to remember is that Crusader Strike and Judgement can proc your Seal of Insight, where your other spells can't, so you actually lose some healing from using other abilities first.

Overall you did some decent numbers. Most of the top end paladins I analyze end up around 90-94% of DPS and Survivability, so you did a great job. Perhaps as your group gets more comfortable with the fight, your percentages may increase to those high 90s.

I'll be busy for about 1 hour, after that I'm gonna quickly get yours done Insindia.

For Insindia:

YorginAnalysis_zpsa9c57089.png

What these numbers mean:

The spreadsheet itself is solely meant to analyze your rotation. This shows that he could be doing 45% more damage if he followed the rotation: CS, Judgement, FILLER, CS, FILLER, Judgement, CS, FILLER, FILLER. No matter what spells he has off CD, following this exact rotation will allow him to have less empty GCDs where he just stand there unable to attack. That is the cause for most paladins' DPS loss. The number of empty GCDs is concerning, since that means there's even times where he has things off CD but isn't attacking. He did die at one point, which counted as a DPS loss, but overall fixing the rotation would do wonders on fixing the overall DPS.

This also holds true for his survivability. Not performing the rotation correctly results in a large amount of holy power lost, which means there's much less SotR and Eternal Flame uses, which hurts the uptime. Getting that rotation down is a key part to fixing DPS/Survivability.

He needs to remember that using Eternal Flame without 3 Holy Power, and without 5 stacks of Bastion of Glory means less healing, so maximizing its power per cast is useful. With the 4set, it should take 15 holy power to get the first 5 shield slams up, 3 more for eternal flame, which would grant a free shield slam, so 12 holy power between every eternal flame. This should doable for keeping Eternal Flame always active. That alone is a huge boost to self healing and survivability.

1 person likes this

Thanks for participating =)

Edit: I mean that as a response, I will be doing this for 6 more days before I close the thread.

I made an account to reply to this.

This is really cool and it's awesome you're willing to help people out.

I read the guide on this site for warcraftlogs so if i've done it correctly I should be able to get a lfr malkorak log before you close the thread. Started doing flex with my warrior tank friend this week, wing 1 and 2. We're leaving wing 3 and 4 til we've got some better gear so won't be able to get a flex log.

1 person likes this

For Pallyrock:

Pallyrock_zps7ffec512.png

What these numbers mean:

The spreadsheet itself is solely meant to analyze your rotation. This shows that you could be doing 21% more damage if you followed the rotation: CS, Judgement, FILLER, CS, FILLER, Judgement, CS, FILLER, FILLER. No matter what spells you have off CD, following this exact rotation will allow you to have less empty GCDs where you just stand there unable to attack. That is the cause for most paladins' DPS loss. Your rotation was used fairly well, however you leaned more towards Consecration and Hammer of Wrath, rather than sticking to the holy power generators.

Other Issues

Also, you appear to be refreshing Eternal Flame on yourself several times. I recommend only doing so at 5 stacks of Bastion of Glory, since each one scales your healing with Eternal Flame by a % based on your mastery. I also recommend removing the Battle Healer glyph if you have trouble staying alive. Remember to ask for/use healthstones, they provide some nice heals when you're in a bad spot.

You seem to have missed the chance to use several of your defensive cooldowns. Guardian of Ancient Kings is the strongest CD you could use, especially for Blood Rage, yet it had 0 uses when you could have fit 2-3 in the fight. The same goes for Avenging Wrath, which is a nice DPS boost, Holy Avenger, which is both a DPS and Survivability gain. These numbers aren't reflected on the spreadsheet, but you had time to use them several times throughout the fight. Remember that using these defenses, and Lay on Hands, instead of burning Holy Power on Eternal Flame is a much more effective way of keeping yourself alive.

Hope this information helps your learning of the prot paladin. You do seem to be fairly decent at the paladin already, so I see a good future for you.

Thanks for the fast reply, i'll use your analysis to improve my play style as prot pala. Thanks for the handful of tips you gave me!

No problem :) As a note to everyone who has used this, I might have forgotten to change the word Heroic to either LFR, Flex, or Normal. This doesn't actually mean anything so don't worry.

Hello Fouton, 

my husband loved your advice! He even had the screen up on his second monitor during our raids as a reminder. He worked pretty hard on implementing what he could, he asked if you would be willing to do another analysis to see if improvements were made. 

Last nights logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/g8HvJwjNF24dMyqD#

If not, no worries :) thanks!

Glad you liked it so much, Insindia&Yorgin!

Here's the spreadsheet for your second log:

YorginAnalysis2_zps39094918.png

What these numbers mean:

The spreadsheet itself is solely meant to analyze your rotation. This shows that he could be doing 37% 45% more damage if he followed the rotation: CS, Judgement, FILLER, CS, FILLER, Judgement, CS, FILLER, FILLER. No matter what spells he has off CD, following this exact rotation will allow him to have less empty GCDs where he just stand there unable to attack. That is the cause for most paladins' DPS loss. The number of empty GCDs is concerning, since that means there's even times where he has things off CD but isn't attacking. He did die at one point, which counted as a DPS loss, but overall fixing the rotation would do wonders on fixing the overall DPS.

This also holds true for his survivability. His survivability could be 30% 66% better, if he performed the rotation he needed, used Eternal Flames only when it wasn't already active, or close to falling off. Not performing the rotation correctly results in a large amount of holy power lost, which means there's much less SotR and Eternal Flame uses, which hurts the uptime. Getting that rotation down is a key part to fixing DPS/Survivability.

This is an incredible increase in survivability. I would argue that all he needs to do now to perfect his skill would be to get his rotation correct to the right spell usage. I understand how difficult this is, I have yet to see a paladin that actually does their rotation spell per spell perfectly throughout the course of a fight. The main thing to note is that the spells listed in the Spell Chart is the order of which they should be used (excluding Shield of the Righteous). So the rotation stated earlier is: CS, Judgement, FILLER, CS, FILLER, Judgement, FILLER, FILLER; where the fillers follow the order: AS > T6 > HW > HoW > Consecration.

Hope this comparison is helpful!

PS: I did it Blizzard Patch note style based on the information I gave for the last analysis, I think it fit well tongue.png