Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Righteh

Fire/Arcane Hybrid?

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I am currently considering switching from frost to fire, due to fire always being my favourite spec to play.  My question is, is it worth creating a hybrid fire/arcane spec (crit/mastery) for any SoO HC fights where arcane might be more viable, or would this just make both weaker as a whole?  Should I just stay full fire and stack as much crit of possible? or with my current gear stay with frost? 

I see a lot of talk of arcane being top DPS but I'm pretty sure that's sims and its all situational and from experience in SoO there is a lot of movement! help! Am tired of conflicting results forcing me to stay frost.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chamber-of-aspects/Righteh/

I will add I have all 5 normal tier pieces and some other gear in my bank which according to askmrrobot would give me around 45% crit with molten armour buff is that enough?

Again thanks.

Don't forget, that you get +5% crit from arcane brilliance as well, which 50% and is definitely enough.

I can't see any possibilities for a fire-arcane hybrid gear unfortunately, however frost-arcane is completely viable with high mastery build, or high haste build. With high-mastery build, arcane will pull ahead slightly, while with high mastery frost will be better.

May I ask why you would like to switch from frost to fire/arcane? :)

Thanks for the swift reply,

Basically just want to switch to fire purely because I prefer it and am useless at arcane biggrin.png 

I currently have a sort of haste/mastery frost/arcane setup, so with a bit more arcane experience I could stick with that and extinguish my dream of fire perhaps.  If only there was a dual gem/reforge/enchant setup which could be switched as per spec without costing a bomb!  Thanks for the advice/guidance, don't really have any mages at my level within the guild to talk to about these things!

. With high-mastery build, arcane will pull ahead slightly, while with high mastery frost will be better.

Uh oh !

Well, high mastery Fire is definitely viable, but you'll still want to stack Crit whenever you can, whereas Arcane wants Mastery and Haste, so you will have conflicting stats. However if you have haste/mastery off-pieces it is possible to switch gear sets as well. I don't see why you would, though. There is no fight where you absolutely have to be Arcane. I would advise you to, if you go Fire, just stick to Fire.

Also, play whichever spec you like, all 3 specs are viable.

1 person likes this

Don't worry it's not like I police forums and throw IRL frostbolts at people who like mastery :P

It's done, I have reunited with fire, my love affair with frost is over and arcane will still remain the uggo I will refuse to go near and am slightly scared of! I think ill Crit > Haste > Mastery until my gear gets higher, am hearing a lot of talk of Mastery > Haste still thou?

It's done, I have reunited with fire, my love affair with frost is over and arcane will still remain the uggo I will refuse to go near and am slightly scared of! I think ill Crit > Haste > Mastery until my gear gets higher, am hearing a lot of talk of Mastery > Haste still thou?

That's a theory. But since Combustion was nerfed in 5.4 we strongly believe, that haste>mastery.

There are theories that the shorter the fight, the stronger mastery is, compared to haste.

Are there any topics out in the internet where people discuss this with some logs and stuff? :)

1 person likes this

There are theories that the shorter the fight, the stronger mastery is, compared to haste.

I think that's moreso common sense than a theory.

I think that's moreso common sense than a theory.

That as well I suppose. The majority of fire mages still seem to go with haste > mastery though, with the exception of a few people trying out new stuff. As long as people blindly follow Vykina I don't think extensive testing will be done on this matter though, there hardly appears to be theorycrafting going on for fire mages.

I wish I could provide you logs Oltier, but I'll stick with frost :P

Edited by Kver

That as well I suppose. The majority of fire mages still seem to go with haste > mastery though, with the exception of a few people trying out new stuff. As long as people blindly follow Vykina I don't think extensive testing will be done on this matter though, there hardly appears to be theorycrafting going on for fire mages.

I wish I could provide you logs Oltier, but I'll stick with frost tongue.png

Wise choice, my fellow mage, wise choice! :D

Since its kinda brushing the subject in the thread about stat priorities I shall ask my question here!

About Fire and the stat weights/priority. The consensus is simple enough with crit > haste > mastery. However im wondering the value of haste breakpoints vs "raw" haste vs mastery.

Lets say I pour all I can into crit as is to be expected. Should I simply go for haste after that or go for a haste breakpoint, after which to mastery until I can switch the mastery into enough haste for the next breakpoint?

The default weights in AMR kinda sparked this thought process, since it estimates the value of haste and mastery fairly close.

Edited by Ceraius

I would stop at a haste (as the mixture build for frost) where the Fireball casts are GCD capped with meta/heroism.

If you dump everything into crit tho, I don't think it is possible to reach this haste level.

Well, everything up to the point where the procs come somewhat reliably. 40% seems to be the general guideline it seems.

Would you have some sort of formula for the amount of haste I'd need to GCD cap Fireball? And I'm presuming GCD over capping Scorch for those times it's needed isn't that much of an issue?

Don't worry about GCD capping fireball, you need 73% raid buffed haste to cap it with meta.

Scorch on the other hand is always GCD capped.

Don't worry about GCD capping fireball, you need 73% raid buffed haste to cap it with meta.

Scorch on the other hand is always GCD capped.

Thanks for the information.In this case you should definitely just stack as much haste as you can after crit. More fireballs equal to more chance to crit equals to more dps :) Schorch should ONLY be used when there's no other mean of moving. Blinking out of fire, then immediately continuing fireball rotation is much better idea than running slowly and spamming scorch.

Yesh, I'm aware of the nature and usage of Scroch as the last resort in heavy movement, but every little bit counts, right? :D

Alrighty, crit first, then haste and forget mastery for the most part. Cheers!