FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

MoP Preparation

Ok so with the date set and the end of Cata now in sight (thank god DS has been going for soooo long) its time to look to MoP.

So how will you prepare?

I've been grinding gold for myself for quite a while, the guild coffers are nicely stuffed and ready to buy a few consumables for raids etc.

Really not sure what else I want to do. For Cataclysm and the guild levelling systems that were going to be introduced I spent a fair bit of time trying to work out what achievements we could do (when guild achievements still allowed you to get experience above the daily cap) so we could get to Level 5 right away, but sadly nothing like that this time around.

Any ideas? Both on a personal level and a guild level.

So uh.... that's what i'm gonna do in these 2 months :)

I got 10 characters max level, and so the list is pretty long applied to all of them (even if it looks pretty short :D)!

0) Take 1 week off from work (from sept 24th for the next 5 days, so i can enjoy leveling before friday night+sat+sun = server imlosions)

1) Finishing dungeon transmog sets, so i can be stylish when i'll hit 90 :D Just missing something from old raids / hc

2) Finishing grinding JP to get heirlooms i'll lack for my new pandaren monk (brewmaster = think tank!) and before an eventual reset of JP

3) Gather all the mats i'll need for the monk so i can skill almost instantly 1-500 in his new professions

4) Massive sell of everything old that i'm sure i won't need in MoP

5) Prepare all the specs for all the chars (MS and OS for PvE, mainly, i don't count in PvP)

6) Buy / craft appropriate bags, counting on heavy end-expansion undercuts )

7) Searching for the last transmog-like mounts (some are pretty long, so i count to end with this point)

3) Gather all the mats i'll need for the monk so i can skill almost instantly 1-500 in his new professions

Ooh I like this one the most! Didnt think of pre-gathering for myself, just getting the awkward mats in other professions to sell!

What professions are you taking on your monk out of curiosity?

Ooh I like this one the most! Didnt think of pre-gathering for myself, just getting the awkward mats in other professions to sell!

What professions are you taking on your monk out of curiosity?

As brewmaster i'll surely go for mining at first, which provides good stam and also good XP while leveling (edit: just to remember you all that XP you get from mining a node scales with heirlooms and guild bonuses... actually mining a node it's almost 1/3 XP of completing a quest, which i think is awesome to RUSH!). I think that this should help in quickening leveling and giving a good base for start PvEing at lvl 90.

The secondary will surely be Alchemy, for 4 reasons.

1) Simple in leveling: i recently did 1-505 with my mage in 2 hours, having all the materials.

2) Rewarding in terms of early gearing up: we all know how hard is to find good trinkets at the beginning, so the alchemy one is surely the best for start (considering also that there will be the tank one and the dps one for offspec, so 1 professions for 2 trinkets!)

3) Rewarding in terms of gold: transmute = golds.

4) Guild-usefulness: flask-potions-elixirs for all the guildmates while running dungeons, hc, raids.

Of course, these are my 2 cents Posted Image

Edited by Panzer

I've created an Excel spreadsheet covering all the achievements I'm still missing. I have 12045 points, so I'm missing quite a few, although most of them are the asinine PvP ones (win WSG 100 times, Cloud Nine in Twin Peaks...) but I'm helping others grind dailies. I only have two BC reps left to grind, although they are the worst..Og'rila and Netherwing. I continue to run Sethekk Halls EVERY DAY for my Raven Lord. I'm on Day 455 today (that is a legit counter, and I have not missed one single day in that span) and pray to the RNG gods to give it to me before MoP. As the GM, I've already figured out what and how many of each epic gem people will need when their BiS gear fills, although I'm less obliged to fill those slots since we will have all content on farm next week. I may just maximize the gold I can make now by selling everything in preparation of MoP.

Also, for those of you who care about Realm Firsts or others, use these tips.

Mining/Herb/Skinning - Go back to old zones (Deepholm, Uldum, Twilight Highlands) to squeeze out 25-50 profession points. Remember that Elementium JUST hit yellow skill at 525, Twilight Jasmine is still orange at 525, and skinning gives points easy anyways. The reason you come here is because you will have little to no resistance with the masses fighting for the new zones.

For your crafting professions, find a friend or a supplier who will feed you mats. Usually you can negotiate a term cheaper than the outrageous prices on the AH. Some goony will put up the new ore at 75g per or 1500g per stack and everyone will follow suit. If you're a guild leader/officer, pre-plan who is doing what profession so that you can efficiently get one of each profession within your guild to limit the out of pocket costs for crafting new things. For example, my Warlock will be the dedicated JC and Tailor until mats go down in price. I will generate cash for the guild by having all the important cuts and patterns first. The Holy Paladin in my guild has elected to drop Herbalism and pick up Inscription since she can supply shoulder enchants. She will also be my dedicated enchanter, so any BoE greens picked up by the guild get filtered to her. Don't let your guildmates vendor greens!!! If you set this up properly, your guild cannot fail unless one of those people, upon hitting 600 skill points, decides to quit/leave. Pick dependable people.

• Like 2

Og'rila and Netherwing

Ah these werent too bad, just go egg hunting for Netherwing, I find killing the ravagers in the mine an ok farm and that was level 80 holy priest, you could smash stuff on your lock :)!

Also, for those of you who care about Realm Firsts or others, use these tips.

Mining/Herb/Skinning - Go back to old zones (Deepholm, Uldum, Twilight Highlands) to squeeze out 25-50 profession points. Remember that Elementium JUST hit yellow skill at 525, Twilight Jasmine is still orange at 525, and skinning gives points easy anyways. The reason you come here is because you will have little to no resistance with the masses fighting for the new zones.

Yeah one of my old guildies got realm first herbalism by just farming in Storm Peaks until 500, then went to Uldum which was really quiet for whiptail (quiet because he was so far ahead that noone could touch the whiptail).

For your crafting professions, find a friend or a supplier who will feed you mats. Usually you can negotiate a term cheaper than the outrageous prices on the AH. Some goony will put up the new ore at 75g per or 1500g per stack and everyone will follow suit. If you're a guild leader/officer, pre-plan who is doing what profession so that you can efficiently get one of each profession within your guild to limit the out of pocket costs for crafting new things. For example, my Warlock will be the dedicated JC and Tailor until mats go down in price. I will generate cash for the guild by having all the important cuts and patterns first. The Holy Paladin in my guild has elected to drop Herbalism and pick up Inscription since she can supply shoulder enchants. She will also be my dedicated enchanter, so any BoE greens picked up by the guild get filtered to her. Don't let your guildmates vendor greens!!! If you set this up properly, your guild cannot fail unless one of those people, upon hitting 600 skill points, decides to quit/leave. Pick dependable people.

We did something a little like this for Cata, completely forgot tbh! Nice one.

• We've been selling our 8/8 heroic Dragon Soul runs, half of it goes to the guild bank, the other half is split between the raiders. Appearantly we have about 3 million in the guild bank now and that should provide us with some quick profession boosts (especially at least one alchemy, enchanting, jewelcrafting), it will provide for food, flasks and some early BoEs.

• I won a poker game at our guild meeting at the start of the month, won a quick 130k gold almost doubling my total money (at 300k now).

• I will complete 25 daily quests the day before the release

• Stocking up some mats for my monk profs as well, even tho I have to wait a week (maybe 2) before leveling one, raiding>all that includes rerolling if it takes 2 days. I'm planning on going with alchemy and enchanting, but that might still change.

• I'm skipping school for 3, maybe 3 days, won't go home over the weekend (I'm normally at the uni during the week and at home in the weekends but I'll stay "to study and clean and get some things in order"). Stocking up on snacks, energy drinks, easy food like pizza and lasagna, sandwiches, fruit and vegetables.

• We are planning to make groups of 5 people to grind dungeons up to level 87, maybe 88. That way we skip all the awkard leveling in the first zones where there are too many people. after that we split up in groups of 2-3 to grind quests. Some people looked for the most optimal and fast way to level and concluded that questing is the fastest way once you're at 87.

• I'm clearing out my bank which is full of crap, also clearing some items from my void storage which has been full from day 1. Deleting some gear I'll never use.

• I didn't bother too much with spec and such since it's now quite a bit easier than in wrath. You can also do most of that when 5.0 is released, which should be a couple of weeks before MoP.

• Waiting for the officers to decide what class they want me to play, they I don't care as long as I'm healing. They also know that I want to reroll monk but that has to wait just a little bit. Until then I hope I get priest or shaman, never really liked the druid healing that much (never healed on my pally before and he's on a different realm, still need to transfer)

• Guild discussion about mists. This should have been yesterday but some people couldn't go (like me) so it got moved to an unnanounced date. There are some changes coming to the guild, raid times, days, officers, loot... and that needs to be discussed.

• Obviously pre-ordering MoP, I think I'll go for the digital collectors edition. Last year I had brick and mortar but the row at the store was too long and slow, I could only play about two hours after server launch, going digital now for instant access.

We are planning to make groups of 5 people to grind dungeons up to level 87, maybe 88. That way we skip all the awkard leveling in the first zones where there are too many people. after that we split up in groups of 2-3 to grind quests. Some people looked for the most optimal and fast way to level and concluded that questing is the fastest way once you're at 87.

I'm clearing out my bank which is full of crap, also clearing some items from my void storage which has been full from day 1. Deleting some gear I'll never use.

I'm currently clearing out my 3 (yes I know) guild banks from all the crap I've got that I don't think will be needed or worth as much in MoP. Not looked at my Void Storage but actually think I've got a few bits and pieces that I can look through!

I really like the idea of the 5 man dungeon runs. I purposely missed the starting Cata zones and levelled through archaeology instead then caught up with Uldum and Twilight Highlands where things were much quieter. Posted Image

Hopefully with DS / DS hc gear the dungeons should still be really quick and easy but still offer up some upgrades here and there! Those questing greens probably wont be much of an upgrade unless you have spare gems / enchants to throw onto them at the same time.

Keep the ideas coming people!

I love pre xpac planning! I always make a list/preparations before one.

- Level the guild to 25

- Organise the gbank

- Unlock Dark Phoenix for guild

- Get exalted on my main for guild, Ashtounge Deathsworn & Keepers of Time (will get me my 45 reps achi!)

- Max mining/bs on shaman & tailoring/skinning on mage

- Finish all cooking/archaeology/'Fish or cut bait'/Molten Front/Darkmoon Faire achievements

- Clear out my bags/bank/void storage on all toons of all unnecessary items (I swear I am a WoW hoarder, especially for transmorg gear... Even though I am pretty much always in T5 or T6!)

- Get 2400 RBG rating to be safe on the Hero of the Alliance: Cataclysmic achi

- Have 25 dailies stored for some free XP on release

- Set up specs/park all toons in a rested area before release

• Like 2

Is it known how the MoP gear is going to scale compared to the current BiS? I dinged 85 on my main over the weekend (protection warrior) and have started working on gear, but it's pretty clear I'm not going to get anywhere close in a month and a half.

I'm wondering if my time might be better served leveling professions or working on other toons. Thoughts?

Is it known how the MoP gear is going to scale compared to the current BiS? I dinged 85 on my main over the weekend (protection warrior) and have started working on gear, but it's pretty clear I'm not going to get anywhere close in a month and a half.

I'm wondering if my time might be better served leveling professions or working on other toons. Thoughts?

I think the first quests will give an 384 ilvl gear. In the beta I started to replace the gear only on the third or fourth area that I went. I don't know about u but I'm going to mop with 3 of my toons equipped with 378 ilvl gear. but this 3 toons are not my main. My main and, let say, my second main are those 2 on my signature.

do some heroics (according with the gear ilvl) with no rush and sooner than u think (with some luck) the gear ilvl will be closer to 378. Posted Image

but of course do what will give you more fun.

Hello Everyone

You might call me a noob I have been playing WoW for about 10 months now and I'm very excited about MoP . My biggest fear is not knowing what to expect I have heard many different things which I don't know really what to believe. If you feel like you can share some of your knowledge with me I would really appreciate it very much. I don't want to get caught with my pants down the good thing is I'm at lvl 525 on all my professions now and I'm part of a lvl 25 guild which should help we have not had any meetings or really talked about MoP that I know of yet. I hope someday I will be able ti repay a favor to who ever helps a poor soul like me.

Happy

Gaming.

Hey Scary,

New expansions are always an exciting time, new items, new spells etc can change the games dynamic a little. Before the expansion comes there is usually a "pre-patch" that should introduce the new talents and spells before the expansion goes live. This should be a t least a few weeks before and should hopefully give you some time to practice etc so you arent having to learn all the new things on release as you are doing new quests.

What sort of guild are you in? If it is a social guild then I wouldnt worry too much about not having guild meetings etc. If its a full raiding guild then perhaps your raid leaders and guild master are waiting until the expansion is a little closer.

Trying to make a little more gold than you normally do will really help early on in the expansion. As I said everything is new so prices will be really expensive early on for things, but depending what professions you have you can also use this to an advantage by grinding mats yourself in the early days / weeks. I remember power levelling my alchemy at the beginning of Cataclysm and paying 500g for a stack of new herbs!

Honestly though I wouldnt stress too much. New expansions are a fun enjoyable part of the game and hopefully you can just enjoy the new zones / dungeons and raids and learn even more as you play!

Depending on your gear I would recommend trying to get an ilvl of around 380 (even if its pvp gear) just to help you through those first lot of quests. Also levelling an alt before release might be something else you can do.

Hope that helps, and remember not to stress tooi much :D

Personally I'm just chillin', killin'.. Okay I'm going to school and maybe farm some achievement points with 2 of my characters (as I do more pvp with my priest than my mage at the moment). Otherwise, just hanging around and looking for camel figurines (found 8 wrong ones for past few months), camp Time-Lost Proto Drake and continue molten front dailies for Ready for rading II achievement and luckily the companion from the bag. Tol barad dailies until I get that wolf mount.

• Like 1

I have eight level 85 toons with all the professions covered at least once. I do not plan on making a panda or anything and I am about full of BS in DS so in preparation for this expansion, I am currently doing the following:

• Selling off excess Cata items like gems, enchants, and crafting mats - keeping a low inventory of crafting mats
  • Completed loremaster
  • Working on rep grinds, mounts and pets from vanilla to Cata
  • Completing old dungeons and raids
  • Selling all items from those dungeons, raids, and rep grinds - helps to build up some gold for MoP
  • Making sure all my toons have ample bank space for new mats and reading whatever Icy-Veins has for MoP info
The stress of obtaining better gear is over for this expansion so I have some free time to do what I skipped while leveling toons. I started playing WoW when the WotLK was already out and some were doing ICC so I still have much catching up to do with the old content. Hoping to move forward with the guild as a whole for MoP.

I'm going much of what the others are doing but would add a few suggestions:

1- Study the new dungeons beforehand. It will help a little and is one of the easy things you can do while all of your toons are getting rested pre xpac.

2- Get the vendor mount. It will be account bound in a week and being able to sell junk and repair your gear while leveling will be a huge plus.

3- Upgrade your bags and storage. Quick tip: If you have any unused character slots you can create new level ones and buy bank spots and fill them with 16 slot bags (if you wanna do it cheaply). This will give you a few hundred extra slots during leveling if you fell you'll need them and you can just delete the toons when you're done.

4- If you are not in a guild or are in a guild you are unsure about, find a level 25 guild now. With the farming bonus and xp bonus you'll benefit more from this than any other tip you'll find.

5- Reforge out of hit, for you dpsers. A guild mate of mine brought this up and it makes perfect sense. If you are going to level by questing you don't need all that hit and will benefit much more from the extra dps.

I've only been playing WoW for a little over a year now and I've levelled 6 toons to 85 in the last 6 months, I'm spending most of the remaining time capping up all my straggling professions.

I'll do some achievement farming and likely max out fishing cooking and archaeology on my paladin.

The bulk of the rest of my time is going to be researching spec builds, viable options and preparing to run my blood DK as my main to level 90 first.

I am GM of a guild in the backwaters of The Scryers and we're going to be shooting for some realm firsts on this expansion, the guild was too young to get in on anything for HoT so this will be our first fully functional expansion as a guild and my first ever in WoW.

I am excited about so much of the gameplay changes and variations and I cannot wait to get all my toons to 90 ( I have all 4 tank classes, a hunter and an enh/resto shammy)

I've been playing around on the beta for a few months as as the endless bugs have slowly been ironed out I have gotten to be more and more enthusiastic about what MoP seems to be offering in general.

Icyveins has played a tremendous role in my growth as a tank and as a raid leader and I cannot thank you all here enough for the work you do, I'm looking forward to more of the same in MoP!

~Moose

GM Divine Carnage

The Scryers

All around miscreant, malcontent and tank at large.

• Like 1

Thank you Moosedeus!

I'm guessing that part of your MoP preparation is going to consist in reading our class guides, followed by the encounter guides when we will release them ;)

How i prepare for MoP is by first of all reading Icy Veins guides for my classes can't live without them Posted Image and 2nd of all i'm trying together with some guildies to create allrdy some tacts for the raid bosses and specially the ones from Mogu'shan Vaults. We allrdy been covering 3/6 bosses and we are now at the Spirit Kings what is a annoying fight due the 24 possible combinations (on paper no idea if there are really so many implemented in game) and all of them aquires a small adjustment to a normal tact Posted Image so y kind of keep my self busy with that Posted Image and hope we can raid asap with our guild Posted Image

Edited by MichaelTheys

Hey guys,

wel i got also 10 lvl 85's and i have farmed now a wile for getting my Archaeology to 525 what ia finaly done and i have now from all the classes 200 fragments so that i can do this first to 90.

The last day and this is a nice tip!

i will do 25 daily's but i will not give them in just i will do this the first dat that pandaria will be online ( some ectra exp is always welcome) :)

farder i got now 100k gold for only lvling my profs ( enchant and engineer ) and 50k gold for just lvling my char to 90. and again 60k for getting me ready for raiding (flask and food).

greetz

orentis

The beta was the biggest part of my mop prep, even tho they changed things it still gave me a good idea on things. Also just making tons of notes on guides for my class

Apart from that mainly:

farming gold,

giving my bank and bags a "spring clean"

ensuring I have all my profs maxed out across my alts

getting a decent amount of dailies done and ready to hand in.

Farm the last of my achievements, mounts and pets from cata.

Seems like everyone kinda has been on the right track.

I have 8 85's currently and leveling the last 2 would just be a drag so I am probably going to renew my account for the Theramore event since this will be my first expansion event (always late and miss them :()

But on the night of the expansion I'm going to stock up on Mountain Dew, snacks, and probably pull an all nighter since I don't have class till 11 anyways