FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
skilo

Arcane Mage - choosing trinkets

Hello,

Looking for some advice in choosing the ideal trinkets for my Arcane Mage.

Here's the armory link to my current build: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Skilopoustis/advanced

In a regular 10m raid tonight, I won:

Kardris' Toxic Totem (553) - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/105540

I was wondering, what is the best combination of trinkets I should be using?

Thank you!

PBoI everytime. The other one can be the Totem, or BBoY. The FCoR is kinda... bad... :)

• Like 1

I was wondering, what is the best combination of trinkets I should be using?

Thank you!

The best combination would be PBoI and Kardris, BBoY is pretty bad for arcane outside of certain situations, keep in mind that a KTT of 7 ilvls lower will beat BBoY (single target) meaning that even the normal warforged verison of KTT (567) beats the NonWF Heroic BBoY (574).

Thank you for your replies, and I apologize, I was playing around with some combinations last night therefore my armory may have been off.  Here are the 3 trinkets I currently have:

Kardris' Toxic Totem (553) - http://us.battle.net.../en/item/105540 (upgraded to 557)

Purified Bindings of Immersius (553) - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/105173 (upgraded to 561)

Black Blood of Y'Shaarj (540) - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/105399 (upgraded to 548)

I also found in another post a link to SimulationCraft and ran their numbers with each combination, and found that the best output seems to be when using Kardris' Toxic Totem & Purified Bindings of Immersius. 

It just surprises me that the BBoY isn't one of them considering it has a nice base stat of Haste and some Mastery after reforge. It confuses me further because on askmrrobot.com, they consider the BBoY to be a best in slot item (obviously not mine, but the heroic version). 

Edited by skilo

Ask mr robot uses the standard simC profile for arcane, as well as includes the 4 set into it's BiS calculations, both of which are incorrect.

The actual best in slot list can be found in this link which uses warforged offpieces with the two set, courtesy of Trolltok.

The standard mage simC profile doesn't camp at 4 stacks the way that players are doing, so the calculations made using it should be taken with a grain of salt.  If I can just get my hands on the modified 2 set profile that cycobi made....

Just curious, does the mage community agree that this Trolltok list is BiS? Sorry, it's just because I haven't heard of Trolltok before.

Also, any chance you could say why it's better to have 2-set with warforged pieces over 4-set? And why the totem is better than Black Blood?

Just curious, does the mage community agree that this Trolltok list is BiS? Sorry, it's just because I haven't heard of Trolltok before.

Also, any chance you could say why it's better to have 2-set with warforged pieces over 4-set? And why the totem is better than Black Blood?

No BiS list is entirely BiS these days.

I think there are a couple changes that could be made to his but overall it's one of the top gear configurations.

Totem is better than BBoY for Arcane due to mastery scaling. They don't double dip into multistrike, but the initial value being calculated for multistrike is modified by mastery (bigger hit = bigger multistrike). Haste is less important for Arcane at high item levels, which considering it's a BiS list, it's high item level. So Arcane can even push 50% haste with KTT/PBoI and that's genius.

It's not that BBoY is bad. I'd probably prefer it for fun, but the math is always going to show KTT work out on single target.

Throw in 2 more targets and BBoY can pull ahead though.

• Like 1

For the most part it is agreed that this Trolltok list is BiS, I support it, Arold supports it, Cycobi supports it, I think you get the point.  As for who Trolltok is, he's one of the better/higher parsing Mages in the world.

As for why 2 set is better, here is a spreadsheet I did using 4 set as BiS before the idea of using offpieces was brought up 4 set BiS.  Comparing that to Trolltok's there is more than a 7% mastery gain from not using  4 set as well as a 300 int gain, which is absolutely huge.

Akraen did a decent job explaining the double dip(ish) effect for totem, but I also have one more point to add to it which is consistency.  BBoY has higher theoretical potential, if timing on procs is lucky, but if proc timings aren't as optimal and bombs get stuck refreshed at low stacks, it's a loss over totem.  Totem averages better DPS while BBoY has better top end.

Edited by voltaa
  • Like 1