Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ezzme

Transitioning into Heroics and a raid leader dilemma.

8 posts in this topic

Fairly long post inc...

So my guild is fairly newly formed, just started raiding together at the start of December and got our first Garrosh kill sometime at the end of December. We were fairly undergeared in a few at the start and have had our last DPS spot filled by multiple people due to recruits either not working out or showing up.  

We've one shoteverything on normal for the last few weeks and essentially only use up one of our 3 raid days (2-3 hours each) leaving a ton of time doing nothing but playing alts. Last week we did do 2 heroics (an hour each) but again had a spot which needed to be pugged forcing us to settle for an under geared player in an OS spec. We got very close to an Immerseus kill and realized after a few attempts Norushen was out of the question with the pug and still were able to finish up the instance with a day and a half of scheduled raid time left. 

This was our 1st week even attempting heroics and despite the set back our numbers seem to be on par with what I usually see other groups pulling in terms of DPS and Heals as we found a hopeful permanent DPS to fill our last position. I also like to think we're a quick learning group that knows what they're doing and can get a fight down with some attempts under our belt.

Our raid lead though is extremely reluctant to put in the attempts on bosses and being very conservative in that regard. This week he wants to do 3 bosses, Immerseus (which as I said is close and should go down quick), Norushen and Sha of Pride. We're hoping to spend 1hr each on these bosses which is essentially 1 raid day for us meaning we would again be left with a day + of nothing to do after full clearing Galakras+.

My suggestion was to do the 1st day as normal, but then spend the 2nd day attempting an extra boss in Galakras which looks to be a fairly simple fight in execution and then use the remaining few hours to clear the instance no matter the outcome of the first 5. I was quickly shot down as was another member from ourgroup by our raid leader and told we will do so next week. I informed him it makes no sense not to maximize our scheduled time when we need little to no gear from the normal mode bosses and can easily use our last day to clear dedicating the first 2 days to actual progression. 

So my question is, what is a good estimate in terms of gear and meter numbers to start full on heroic progression and how should I approach my raid lead about this issue. I know that as a group if the issue is brought up when we're all together most will side with what I've said. 

Without any knowledge of your raid comp 10 vs 25, i am assuming 10 man etc.

If you can kill Garrosh and are 1 shotting everythign else then you should have no gear problems doing the first 5 Heroic bosses(imo everything to malkorok has no real gear check). In order of ease (IMO) Norushen > Galakras > Immerseus > Protectors/Sha.

If you are clearing out that easily, as in one night/raid then why not spend 2 nights pushing progression then clear out on the third.

Execution is king for heroics and gear not so much until further along.

As for approaching the raid leader, i would suggest it to him/her and see the response you get. If the group wants to do it they will. Some guilds however aren't very progression orientated and the thought of 2/3 nights on progression is absurd and even more crazy would be extending a lockout!

Best advice for heroic progression is persist and dont change the strategy every 2 pulls. Look up the guides and videos that are out there and persist.

Brew makes excellent points. However the order of bosses I'd recommend myself is a little different, but then again the easy bosses are different for many people/guilds.

Our guild moved to heroics after our first garrosh kill maintaining the last of our three raid days as the normalclear, but we soon dropped even that and have recently just been focusing on heroics without clearing on the last day.

I'd personally suggest Immerseus - Norushen - Protectors - Sha/Galakras in the case you don't want to do them in order. Doing them in order is very viable too. Thats how we did it.

As far as tactics changes go the ones that have the least impact going from normal to HC would be Norushen and Protectors imo. They play out almost if not completely identical to normal tactics.

we took a bit to get immersius and then worked protectors to get sharp. we have definitely taken it slow but now we kill 7 bosses on heroic in one day. group makeup is a big factor and strong players in certain roles can really carry a team on reg, but once you get to heroic holes can show up a lot easier.

the hierlooms from a full clear are tempting and it is nice to relax a bit. we have a lot of weeks before WoD. a little patience on your end might be necessary. especially if a decent number of people are missing a few things from the later bosses. i have run a group for a while now and the only thing that really bugs me is complaining. voicing concerns is one thing but bitching about a plan thats one week off from your expectations might be the wrong battle to pick.

you never know what kind of stuff ppl deal with irl. just keep voicing your concerns at the outset of each week, but do your rl a kindness and try not to complain once they say the matter is decided for that lockout. 

Thanks for the replies

We're a 10 man group, sorry for forgetting to give that information. Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling we've been moving slow due to watching a lot of the videos and higher end guilds progression. I know we're not them and they've been raiding together for a long time, etc... but 3 weeks of Garrosh farm with essentially an hour of heroics on 2 bosses is too slow imo. 

I see the avg ilvl other guilds are moving into heroics with and I see us on par or even ahead in many cases in terms of gear and the fact we have nothing down is what prompted me to start asking if we can start doing some real progression. 

Our group avg ilvl is probably around 560, if not a point of so below. When I mentioned needing items I probably could have been more clear, for the most part the things people want are more for BIS chasing and not replacing raid finder gear or anything like that. Our healers do their jobs well, our tanks as well and our DPS is in a good spot too.

And as  Brew said the first 5 are fairly simple fights that I've watched a ton of footage and and see more as just a matter of time/attempts put in instead of a gear check. Our raid leader is fairly pessimistic being extremely negative and underestimating our guilds capabilities, he's not a dick or anything it's just this isn't the first time where he lowballs us as a group. 

He's 9/14H due to getting a spot in another guild on his other toon, I feel as if them having the first few fights on farm has skewed the way he looks at progression. Thinking we need to get BIS pieces in every slot for every player and not downing it in a few hours being a failure we can't recover from.

He's never really raid led and is sort of stubborn but he's a fairly good friend who've I've been playing multiple games with for years and i'm sure that with something like your guys suggestions he can be persuaded to push a bit harder. I feel this is an important thing to fix now as we hope/plan to start off WoD pretty quickly and i'd rather not run into us waiting to progress due to unwarranted precaution.

Edited by Ezzme

Imo, only farm for normal BiS if you don't even plan to go heroic, as in most cases the ilvl increase warrants an upgrade anyway. And the ilvl of your raid group is more than enough to move on to heroics.

Seeing he's been doing heroics already they might be easy for him on a personal level but as a raidleader he needs to acknowledge that it might not be so for the rest, and be prepared to go through the progressing process again.

Edited by Ceraius

If you are good friends then perhaps approach him alone before or after raid. Do a bit of research yourself and go to him with a solution rather than a problem. Have a look at optimal norushen rotations, look at galakras groups for tower/interrupts.

This might help it along.

You can also possibly approach your friend about being a co leader and talk about the direction the raid team is aiming for. Heroic? Casual? Get on the same page and push forward.

:)

the first few times we killed immersius, it was as he enraged. and protectors put us through a lot of wipes, but wiping on heroic is the only way to sharpen up to the requirements of heroic. my group has what most would consider a pretty bad comp for a ten man, 3 mdps and no warlock, but we still do alright. i dont think 3 normal clears is totally insane. i dont think its that bad to do 5 clears before just doing heroics all week.

at 560 if everyone has at least one good trink and a weapon, thats pretty much geared enough. one thing i did enjoy doing when my group first started heroics was bringing my dk in for a reg spoils kill. after that we just worked on heroics until there was 2 hours left on our last day and we would start up on reg at thok with the dks id. just have the id toon reform the group as lead, reset all instances and walk in first. hearth when you get a few more ppl inside and hop over to your main. the id toon can hold the id indefinitely and nobody has to miss out on trinks, tier, and heirlooms.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By joat
      Crucial Taunt is a community-oriented Horde guild on the US-Mug'thol server (connected realm with Akama & Dragonmaw) that is seeking mature and positive raiders looking for a long-term home. We're seeking adults who have a passion for the game and enjoy exploring all types of content within a fun and vibrant atmosphere.
      About Us
      Lead by a Los Angeles based husband & wife team that previously had been progression raiding back through WOTLK. After Wrath we took a break for life stuff, but late into Draenor we transferred to Mug'thol and started anew, building a guild that reflects our values of putting fun and community first in all aspects of the game.
      Raiding
      Our progression raid team meets two nights a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30pm to 11:30pm PT (pacific is also server time).  Any experience level is welcome as long as you're willing to learn, grow, and progress with the team. If we had to describe our raid style it would be "positively determined." We don't tolerate hardcore drama while we aim to consistently improve, give our best effort, and down new content. We're looking for players who are going to log on more than twice a week for raid, who believe a social environment is an important and critical part of the success of a guild. We also expect our raiders to match the collective effort of the team, understanding their class and role, their gear requirements, and putting themselves in the best position to contribute meaningfully each and every week.
      We are currently 3/7M Emerald Nightmare and 1/3H Trial of Valor.
      We are recruiting only the following class/specs for our Legion Raid Team:
      Mage: Frost Monk: Windwalker Priest: Holy & Shadow Shaman: Enhancement & Elemental Warlock: Affliction More than Raiding
      We are looking for players who want to find a spirited, mature, fun atmosphere whenever they log into WoW. Outside of raid times our raiders are constantly into other adventures. PVP and battlegrounds? Great. Mount, toy, pet collecting? Sure. Leveling, questing, altoholics? Awesome. No matter how you like to play WoW we're with you.
      The Details
      Guild founders and co-GMs are Druishbanker-Mug'thol (bnet joat#1832) and Lambkill-Mug'thol (bnet lambkill#1856).
      We have a guild website where you can learn more about us and show your interest in joining at Crucial-Taunt.com.
      We have a Discord server for chat/voice communication.
      Please reach out to us in game, in bnet, or on our website forums if you have any questions or are interested in joining.
    • By turbo
      Överskattad är en helsvensk guild på Kazzak EU med tight teamspirit som söker  ranged dps i form av: mage/hunter/boomkin samt 1 resto druid eller holy paladin för vidare mythic progress. 
      ==RAIDTIDER==
      Vi är en semi-hardcore guild som raidar 3 dagar i veckan:
      Onsdagar 19.00-22.00
      Torsdagar 19.00-22.00
      Söndagar 19.00-22.00
      Ibland förekommer extra raids på måndagar i form av HC clear och annat skoj, utöver detta lirar vi mycket mythic+ med varandra och håller gearet i check.
      ==PROGRESS==
      För närvarande är vi 4/7M och 2/3H och siktar in på att nå 7/7M och 3/3M innan Nighthold.
      ==AMBITIONER OCH MÅL/STRÄVAN==
      Som progress guild satsar vi på att nå långt i mythic raids och uppnå achievementet "Cutting edge" i alla raids som kommer att släppas i Legion.
      Vi är ett gäng med bra laganda och vi värnar oerhört mycket om våra guildmembers. Det är viktigt att vi trivs med varandra socialt och vi lägger ner mycket vikt på att få ihop ett stabilt team som pushar framåt men samtidigt har kul och trivs tillsammans. Vi ser oss själva som en andra familj utöver "real life" när folk vill fly ett tag från verkligheten och bara ha det kul. Därför är det viktigt för oss att hålla god kvalitet under raids och vara omringade av stabilt folk som vill sträva mot samma mål.
      ==LEDNINGEN==
      I ledningen sitter officers med över 10 års erfarenhet av World of Warcraft. Ledningen lyssnar oerhört mycket på övriga members för att uppnå en så hög standard som möjligt. Det är viktigt att ha någon att vända sig till om det skulle uppstå konflikter, därför består våra officers av mogna och erfarna spelare med ålder på 25+ med många års erfarenhet i diverse guilds. Vi anser att det är viktigt att se problem från olika synvinklar och lösa dom internt istället - detta innebär att ledningen alltid är beredda på att ge folk en extrachans så länge vi ser att viljan och ambitionerna finns hos spelaren i fråga.
      ==VAD VI SÖKER==
      För oss är det viktigt att hitta spelare som främst dyker upp till raids och som kan spela sin klass, men det är också viktigt att ställa vissa krav på dig som söker sig till oss i Överskattad - dels för att hålla god kvalitet i raids, men också för att bygga upp en trivsam atmosfär och ett i särklass socialt och trevligt team. Därför ställs följande krav:
      [ul]* Du är aktiv och engagerad i din klass när det kommer till gear (via t.ex. mythic+, simcraft samt patch-changes).
      * Du dyker upp i tid och informerar minst 24h innan raiden hålls.
      * Du kommer till raids med fullt fokus och fullt förberedd, taggad på att pusha framåt(runes, flasks, pots, respecc tomes, healing pots och påläst på taktiker).
      * Du kan ta konstruktiv kritik för att kunna förbättras som spelare (vi är aldrig elaka när vi ger denna kritik - det är endast för att vi ska kunna utvecklas som team).
      * Du tål wipes och har tålamod och förståelse att det krävs för att komma framåt - ragequitting gynnar ingen.
      * Du är hängiven och pålitlig och sköter dig när du inte spelar med guilden (för att undvika att dåliga rykten om guilden sprids).
      * Du har respekt för andra spelare, andra spelares nationalitet och har förståelse över att folk inte har samma bakgrund/uppväxt.[/ul]
      Vi söker ALLTID duktiga spelare inom alla klasser och specs - så tveka inte på att slänga in en applikation på vår hemsida eller whispra oss ingame!
      ==KONTAKTA OSS==
      Kika in på vår hemsida: http://www.overskattad.se och släng in en apply, alternativt kontakta oss ingame för en intervju över discord:
      Turbs (GM), btag: turbofarfar#2932
      Dominato (Officer), btag: wizziz#2458
      Tyrena (Officer), btag: endast ingame kontakt
      Hoppas vi hörs av!
    • By turbo
      Överskattad är en helsvensk guild på Kazzak EU med tight teamspirit som söker  ranged dps i form av: mage/hunter/boomkin samt 1 resto druid eller holy paladin för vidare mythic progress. 
      ==RAIDTIDER==
      Vi är en semi-hardcore guild som raidar 3 dagar i veckan:
      Onsdagar 19.00-22.00
      Torsdagar 19.00-22.00
      Söndagar 19.00-22.00
      Ibland förekommer extra raids på måndagar i form av HC clear och annat skoj, utöver detta lirar vi mycket mythic+ med varandra och håller gearet i check.
      ==PROGRESS==
      För närvarande är vi 4/7M och 2/3H och siktar in på att nå 7/7M och 3/3M innan Nighthold.
      ==AMBITIONER OCH MÅL/STRÄVAN==
      Som progress guild satsar vi på att nå långt i mythic raids och uppnå achievementet "Cutting edge" i alla raids som kommer att släppas i Legion.
      Vi är ett gäng med bra laganda och vi värnar oerhört mycket om våra guildmembers. Det är viktigt att vi trivs med varandra socialt och vi lägger ner mycket vikt på att få ihop ett stabilt team som pushar framåt men samtidigt har kul och trivs tillsammans. Vi ser oss själva som en andra familj utöver "real life" när folk vill fly ett tag från verkligheten och bara ha det kul. Därför är det viktigt för oss att hålla god kvalitet under raids och vara omringade av stabilt folk som vill sträva mot samma mål.
      ==LEDNINGEN==
      I ledningen sitter officers med över 10 års erfarenhet av World of Warcraft. Ledningen lyssnar oerhört mycket på övriga members för att uppnå en så hög standard som möjligt. Det är viktigt att ha någon att vända sig till om det skulle uppstå konflikter, därför består våra officers av mogna och erfarna spelare med ålder på 25+ med många års erfarenhet i diverse guilds. Vi anser att det är viktigt att se problem från olika synvinklar och lösa dom internt istället - detta innebär att ledningen alltid är beredda på att ge folk en extrachans så länge vi ser att viljan och ambitionerna finns hos spelaren i fråga.
      ==VAD VI SÖKER==
      För oss är det viktigt att hitta spelare som främst dyker upp till raids och som kan spela sin klass, men det är också viktigt att ställa vissa krav på dig som söker sig till oss i Överskattad - dels för att hålla god kvalitet i raids, men också för att bygga upp en trivsam atmosfär och ett i särklass socialt och trevligt team. Därför ställs följande krav:
      [ul]* Du är aktiv och engagerad i din klass när det kommer till gear (via t.ex. mythic+, simcraft samt patch-changes).
      * Du dyker upp i tid och informerar minst 24h innan raiden hålls.
      * Du kommer till raids med fullt fokus och fullt förberedd, taggad på att pusha framåt(runes, flasks, pots, respecc tomes, healing pots och påläst på taktiker).
      * Du kan ta konstruktiv kritik för att kunna förbättras som spelare (vi är aldrig elaka när vi ger denna kritik - det är endast för att vi ska kunna utvecklas som team).
      * Du tål wipes och har tålamod och förståelse att det krävs för att komma framåt - ragequitting gynnar ingen.
      * Du är hängiven och pålitlig och sköter dig när du inte spelar med guilden (för att undvika att dåliga rykten om guilden sprids).
      * Du har respekt för andra spelare, andra spelares nationalitet och har förståelse över att folk inte har samma bakgrund/uppväxt.[/ul]
      Vi söker ALLTID duktiga spelare inom alla klasser och specs - så tveka inte på att slänga in en applikation på vår hemsida eller whispra oss ingame!
      ==KONTAKTA OSS==
      Kika in på vår hemsida: http://www.overskattad.se och släng in en apply, alternativt kontakta oss ingame för en intervju över discord:
      Turbs (GM), btag: turbofarfar#2932
      Dominato (Officer), btag: wizziz#2458
      Tyrena (Officer), btag: endast ingame kontakt
      Hoppas vi hörs av!
    • By Aymana
      Quick Info
      Server - Argent Dawn - EU
      Faction - Alliance
      Raid Days - Tuesdays + Sundays
      Raid Times - Tuesday: 20:00 - 23:00 Server Time. Sunday: 20:00 -23:00 Server Time. 
      Loot System - Master Looter or Personal Loot, depending on the situation. 
      Website - oathkeepersad.enjin.com
      We have cleared 7/7 of Emerald Nightmare normal and 7/7 heroic. Trial of Valor 3/3 normal.

We're Recruiting

★ Druid (Feral, Balance, Guardian) - Medium
      ★ Hunter - High
      ★ Priest (Shadow) - High
      ★ Rogue - High
      ★ Death Knight (Blood) - High
      ☆ We are primarily looking for DPS. If your class is not listed you are still very welcome to apply!

Applicants should have appropriate item level for the current content. If you do not then you’re welcome to join the guild until you reach that goal, we will help you as much as we’re able. We mostly look for reliable, fun, and mature people over gear. Though gear does help a lot. 

Are you for us?
      Are you a person who....

• Is looking for a long term community?
      • Prefers dogs to cats?
      • Is competent at keeping up to date with their class and puts in that extra 10% effort?
      • Has an awesome sense of humor?
      • Can accept and use constructive criticism to both improve as a player and make the guild stronger?
      • Enjoys long walks in the park and holding hands at sundown?
      • Can assess their own performance without the need of having someone breathing down the back of their neck?
      • Did I mention has an awesome sense of humor? This is pretty important.

Are we for you?
      Are you searching for a guild that....

• Recruits Smart - We recruit what we need, and a little extra to ease everyone's minds so they can in fact miss a raid night if they really need to.
      • Consists of older players, most of us are in our late 20s - we even have an old timer in his staggering 40s!
      • Understands that life has it's ups and downs, and that members will in fact miss a raid or two once in a while.
      • Has fun during raids - We focus on progression, but having fun is key to our success and always has been for us in the past. We dig at each other during raids to get a reaction, we sing to each other.. Ever played 'The floor is lava' whilst waiting for a healer to finish pooping? It's very enjoyable.
      • Is able to speak fully coherent English to put points across quickly and effectively - Apart from Rolenta, his English is so broken it hurts your head trying to decipher what he's saying.
      • Will welcome you with open arms and include you in every single inside joke that currently exists and will ever exist as long as you put effort into being a part of us?
      • Has a website URL that reads as Oathkeeper Sad and makes you sad face :(

So now that you've made it this far, I can tell you're interested in us... and we're interested in you! But be sure to buy us dinner first, we're not some cheap date!

Who are we really?
      The core of Oathkeepers have been playing WoW together for going on 5 years now. Sadly we've lost some friends over the time to other games or that dreaded thing called real life, but we've made some new friends too! We're looking to fill out our roster to do more heroic raids - We've had our hurdles to climb to get running again, but we're here now at last!

We are a friendly bunch that are happy to meet new faces. We have a combinedexperience of all content clears whilst the content was current, and on all difficulties.

So how do you apply?
      Hit up that link near the top of the thread. In fact, here's another link for you! - oathkeepersad.enjin.com/ - Damn I'm good to you aren't I? Be sure to make an account with Enjin (our host) then hit that apply button! You'll need to fill in a short application form, so we can get an idea of who you are.

Want to know a bit more about us before committing to hitting that submit application button? Or maybe you just want a chat before making your decision No problemo! Our officers are online a little too much, it's kinda sad. But either way, get in touch with any of the following people!:
      • Neiwaru/Aymana
      • Dalarian/Sylvanart
      • Kukishin (He only has one character of any importance…)

If you fail to catch us online, or are currently on another server, feel free to add any of us to your bnet list:
      • Aymana#2669 - Aymana
      • Supergaga#2706 - Dalarian

• By Ergunk
      Stinki Monki Finger (SMF) is currently the longest standing guild on Hellscream EU. Formed on 28th April 2005 SMF have been around to see all of Vanilla, Burning Crusade, Wrath, Cataclysm, MoP, WoD & now time for Legion.

Stinki Monki Finger is currently searching for:
      Resto Druid/Mistweaver Monk
      Warlock/Mage/Shadow priest dps

Strong applications from all classes/roles will also be considered. This means Melee aswell, so dont be afraid to drop by! :)

We require you to have previous experience at raiding Heroic or Mythic mode content and be available for atleast 2-3 raids per week.

Current progress
      7/7 N, 7/7 HC, 5/7 M, ToV 2/3 HC.

Main raid schedule:
      Wednesday 20:00-23:00
      Sunday 20:00-23:00
      Monday 20:00-23:00

We are also organising Mythic dungeons outside of raid times and there is a possibility of an Alt Raid.

We have been a guild since Vanilla and known each other for over 10 years. Our goal is to always aim for the highest difficulty while raiding in a relaxed atmosphere. We keep in contact with each other through various games and you will definitely feel the guilds comradeship when playing with us.

If you have any questions feel free to contact Finesse or Ergunk#2122 for a chat.

Kind regards,
      Ergunk
      http://stinkimonkifinger.co.uk