FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
axelaldar

Mistweaver monk seeking guidance and council

Hello to the community. First off, I will like to say I am a big fan of the icy veins community as your guides and how to's have been invaluable in my quest of playing WoW. Today, I come to you asking for some help with my mistweaver monk.

Armory link :-

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Jadepaws/simple

I have used askmrrobot for optimisation after reading one of Krazyito's awesome guide on how to change weights to optimise your character properly. I was doing fine in LFR and Flex....that is until last night when I was asked by the guild to jump into Spoils normal. I felt as if I failed my side if the encounter terribly. I just could not keep folks up!

I made sure to have my ReM on CD, used TFT on CD, was spamming my uplifts and chi brew and soothing mists like there's no tomorrow and yet still my HPS could not seem to get folks to a good amount if HP. My personal output was lacking dearly.

I would ever so much appreciate it if someone could take a look at my armory and tell me if I did my stat changes wrong or if anyone has any advice to help. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jadepaws

Was this Spoils normal 10 or 25?

If it was 10man, the TFT is largely wasted since you can have ReM up on 5 people tops for the entire fight, so thats essentially a waste of Chi.

Your ilvl is a tad on the low side, so hopping into that far into normals to begin with will be challenging. Not impossible, but indeed very challenging. You're pretty good stats wise though. Just try to drop the mastery pieces and you're good.

Without logs to check you were in fact healing properly it could be any of the following:

1 - You are quite undergeared for the content (this is probably it)

2 - Were your raiders standing in all the bad stuff?

3 - were there poorly executed mechanics (bombs etc)

4 - were any hybrid cooldowns used/or available?

5 - Were there too many boxes opened?

There are so many variables in this fight. ultimately i think your lack of gear is all. Your gemming and reforging looks to be ok.

Happy Killing :)  

Hi guys

MANY thanks for your input! I was thinking my stat weights via askmrrobot might have been wrong thus my low output.

Coming to think of it, Ceraius, you are 100% correct with regards to the waste of TfT! Don't know why this did not click with me before! And yes, folks did seem to drop from 100% to like 30% in a second....which would make me think they were standing in poop!

I know the gear is quite low, but if you folks say my stat weights seem okay, then I will put it down to just low gear and bad deeps standing in stuff they should not be standing in! :)

Again, thanks a mil for your input. It is much appreciated!

Jadepaws

The Mogu side Big Box Bosses do a big aoe hit every now and then so if its the entire group going down fast its likely that. Just know that its there and be ready to react.

Hiya Ceraius!

Funny enough, we did the Mogu side easy enough. It was the mantid side that folks seemed to start dropping. My guess is that they were either standing in amber pools or being BOOMED by standing in bombs...either way......I need more gear :) Will have a rummage through Flex this evening and hopefully pick up an item...or two...if the blizz gods smile on me :)

JP

Tft is still useful in 10 man to refresh all your rems with int trinket Procs.

Another thing you can do healing wise is instead of spamming uplift, try to make smarter decisions based on raid damage. You should still be using uplift if 2 or more people are damaged, but you can get away with some fistweaveing when people are topped off.

I agree with Krazyito,

However at 523ish ilvl i would not be fistweaving in normal content unless there is very minimal damage periods and i was making the most of Muscle memory procs for mana during a meta proc only.

At lower ilvls fistweaving is fairly brutal on your mana and output.

Cheers folks ;) I have not yet been fistweaving as it's a playstyle that is new to me and I'm a bit scared to muck it up. Especially on spoils where our tanks seems to open lots and keeps moving them about! Will have to try to leave to fistweave on a dummy first before I get the courage to do it in raids :)

Cheers folks wink.png I have not yet been fistweaving as it's a playstyle that is new to me and I'm a bit scared to muck it up. Especially on spoils where our tanks seems to open lots and keeps moving them about! Will have to try to leave to fistweave on a dummy first before I get the courage to do it in raids smile.png

I may have some that disagree with me on this but i will give you my opinion smile.png

Fistweaving is no longer a playstyle IMO. I look at it as another tool(utility based) in your spell kit. You will not be punished in HPS for not using fistweaving, in fact fistweaving will lower your HPS. The benefit of fistweaving is the DPS it brings, the heals associated are just a bonus of fistweaving. If you are lacking heals, switching or adding fistweaving into your rotation will not help. If you decide to 3 heal instead of 2 heal and you fistweave then this will help and is IMO the main source of its use, you get more healer cooldowns and you dont lose much dps.

Fistweaving is very mana intensive and if you do it wrong you will be in a world of hurt mana and HPS wise.

For 2 heal fights Mistweave, especially during progression. For 3 heals fistweave if you are comfortable and can sustain the mana/dps required to make the fistweaving worth it.

(I am making 10 man comparisons because thats what i primarily raid and what the OP started with as 10 man spoils.)

So for the specific case of the OP i would forget fistweaving and focus on mistweaving especially for Spoils. Do this until you have enough gear and skill to fistweave without causing a wipe. IMO dont fistweave until you get the legendary meta gem. 

Happy Killing smile.png