FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] S8 Hearthstone Basic Mage Deck

I am using 'The Basic Mage Deck' that these comments are about. I'm completely new to game. So I happened to get one each of the radars cards I listed. I'm simply asking if that deck would be improved by adding those 3 rare cards. And if so, what 3 cards in basic Mage deck should I use them to replace?

I hope that makes sense now. Thanks!!!

Yep, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Mana Wyrms are good replacements for Elven Archers, since you have quite a lot of spells in this deck. :)

Guest Lumineus

I feel like the notes undersell Arcane Missiles.  It can be a total game-changer even in the final turns.  But, I guess it also has to do with the way this deck is constructed.  You've got a lot of minion buffs in there as if this was a zoo deck, but then you rely heavily on spells for trades and board clear, while your minions mostly just hit the face unless there's a taunt out.

Personally, I would replace the Yetis with Ogre Magi, the Shattered Suns with Dalaran Mages, and the Stormwind Champion with another Archmage.  Maybe even the Oozes for Kobold Geomancers.  Hurts somewhat aganst Warriors, but once you have board control you can spam freeze the face with your Elementals to stymie their weapons. 

Incidentally, this makes Arcane Explosion a LOT more powerful as well.  You could still slot it in place of Arcane Intellect, which is kind of weak, 3 mana for what amounts to one extra draw?

I feel like the notes undersell Arcane Missiles.  It can be a total game-changer even in the final turns.  But, I guess it also has to do with the way this deck is constructed.  You've got a lot of minion buffs in there as if this was a zoo deck, but then you rely heavily on spells for trades and board clear, while your minions mostly just hit the face unless there's a taunt out.

Personally, I would replace the Yetis with Ogre Magi, the Shattered Suns with Dalaran Mages, and the Stormwind Champion with another Archmage.  Maybe even the Oozes for Kobold Geomancers.  Hurts somewhat aganst Warriors, but once you have board control you can spam freeze the face with your Elementals to stymie their weapons. 

Incidentally, this makes Arcane Explosion a LOT more powerful as well.  You could still slot it in place of Arcane Intellect, which is kind of weak, 3 mana for what amounts to one extra draw?

Thank you for this! When I played with the basic deck, I found myself waiting for flamestrike, wishing I had better early game AoE than (random) arcane missiles, and feeling torn between different strategies. In my heart, I wanted to do more direct spell damage, and I wanted archmage and ancient mage to work in my favor somehow. I'll give the deck a shot with your modifications. (;
Edited by keyofnight

Guest Guest

Hi Guys,

Firstly amazing starting deck, I went from 10% win to at least 60%+ win rate.

I seem to fail hard against both hunter/ rogue because they are very aggressive, there isnt that many ways to prevent damage, they just spam minions/beasts, especially with the hunters hero power, eventually i gain solid board control but i am so low that they can just hit hero power a few rounds and im dead. Anything I need to focus on strategy wise ?

Hi Guys,

Firstly amazing starting deck, I went from 10% win to at least 60%+ win rate.

I seem to fail hard against both hunter/ rogue because they are very aggressive, there isnt that many ways to prevent damage, they just spam minions/beasts, especially with the hunters hero power, eventually i gain solid board control but i am so low that they can just hit hero power a few rounds and im dead. Anything I need to focus on strategy wise ?

You can try removing 1 Flamestrike and the Archmage, and replacing them with 2 Silverback Patriarchs.

Guest Guest

You can try removing 1 Flamestrike and the Archmage, and replacing them with 2 Silverback Patriarchs.

Thanks for your response Damien, I am having HUGE problems with hunters:

I keep the board clear but it takes one turn where he drops say 2 low minions which I can't clear (i'm out of spells or dont have enough crystals for flamestrike), he then plays houndmaster (50% of the time I play I can mitigate this by keeping the board clear) and then the following round he drops all his +1 to beast and release the hounds and gets me to ~10hp. From here I'm defensively trying to keep the board clear and he can just spam hero attack with a lucky charge from his beast companion card to finish me off.

Most of the hunters strongest abilities are unavoidable, they all involve unleash the hounds, sometimes spammed twice in the same round. I just cant see a way through to them, any ideas ? 

Thanks for your response Damien, I am having HUGE problems with hunters:

I keep the board clear but it takes one turn where he drops say 2 low minions which I can't clear (i'm out of spells or dont have enough crystals for flamestrike), he then plays houndmaster (50% of the time I play I can mitigate this by keeping the board clear) and then the following round he drops all his +1 to beast and release the hounds and gets me to ~10hp. From here I'm defensively trying to keep the board clear and he can just spam hero attack with a lucky charge from his beast companion card to finish me off.

Most of the hunters strongest abilities are unavoidable, they all involve unleash the hounds, sometimes spammed twice in the same round. I just cant see a way through to them, any ideas ?

Well, this is a basic deck, and unfortunately, it will always miss on cards that you would need in such specific situations (like Cone of Cold or Blizzard, for example). The thing is that you can't possibly make a basic deck that will work well against most decks.

Guest Zacharde

Just wanted to say that this was my first constructed deck after finishing the tutorial missions, and boy did it make a difference. Not only boosted my win rate, but reading the strategy and watching the posted videos and feedback was very instructive.

I'm working the rest of my characters up to 10 and building the basic decks as I go. This lets me learn my strategies without investing too deeply, which is an invaluable resource. Thanks for posting!

See you all in the arena! 

-- Zacharde "Not the face!" Mordecai

Guest Kyraleen

This deck does NOT work against the 3rd Arachnid quarter in Naxx.. not even once.

The Naxxramas wings, particularly Heroic mode, are constructed in such a way that often, just standard ladder decks wont work. They're sort of single player puzzles where you have to work out the best cards to include in your deck to counter each bosses specific strategy. 

If you specify which bosses you're having trouble with, I can suggest some strategies.

Sign in to follow this