FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] S8 Hearthstone Basic Paladin Deck

Guest ArmaGetItOn

Awesome starter deck man, thanks! I came across this on google and put it together. I just started playing today and absolutely obliterated a few players that played several legendary cards. The deck really had an answer to everything those players did.

Guest Frank

Honestly, I've had very good and very bad experiences with this deck. It's very prone to unlucky streaks, where you die after 5 turns, and your hands full of 5+ mana cards... Kind of lacks early game presence vs aggro builds.

Awesome starter deck man, thanks! I came across this on google and put it together. I just started playing today and absolutely obliterated a few players that played several legendary cards. The deck really had an answer to everything those players did.

Great to hear. Keep it up!

Honestly, I've had very good and very bad experiences with this deck. It's very prone to unlucky streaks, where you die after 5 turns, and your hands full of 5+ mana cards... Kind of lacks early game presence vs aggro builds.

Well, in great part that is due to the Basic nature of the deck. Your card choices are really very limited. Basic Paladins are very strong on turn 4 and after, but lack good cards to play before then, so if it can happen that you lose if you get obliterated in the starting turns. Just mulligan for your 2-3 drops, and make use of Hand of Protection to allow your minions to survive early trades. Well, that's the plan, anyway :)

Guest Acquain

I've heard the term mulligan used in Hearthstone a few time, but don't understand it.  Can you explain, please?

I've heard the term mulligan used in Hearthstone a few time, but don't understand it.  Can you explain, please?

It means to replace, particularly in the case of replacing starting hand cards. We have a glossary of Hearthstone terms here, you should check it out.

Guest vynicus

I've been trying to play this deck or variations of it for a week now and all I can say is it sucks. the best I can do with it is hold them off for about 15 turns before they just sledgehammer me. I call this deck the " slow death" build because that's all it is. I can never seem to get more than 2 minions on the board before they're killed and I'm being hit again. and I can hear people saying " horrible player" but I know I'm not that bad. this deck plays out the same every time for me: no early game, weak mid game, overwhelmed early in the end game and killed.

I've been trying to play this deck or variations of it for a week now and all I can say is it sucks. the best I can do with it is hold them off for about 15 turns before they just sledgehammer me. I call this deck the " slow death" build because that's all it is. I can never seem to get more than 2 minions on the board before they're killed and I'm being hit again. and I can hear people saying " horrible player" but I know I'm not that bad. this deck plays out the same every time for me: no early game, weak mid game, overwhelmed early in the end game and killed.

Keep in mind, that this is a completely basic deck for players that has no access to other higher value cards. If you get matched up against a legendary deck or whatsoever, of course this deck has almost no chance. 

I don't agree with excluding the last two paladin-specific cards. Good strategy with taunt can protect the minion it is used on, and like the explanation with Stormplike Commando it can also create a minion fearsome enough for the opponent to need to sacrifice a minion to destroy it. Lastly, it can also be used to create a sacrifice in order to destroy a much larger minion. There's a lot you can do with that card and it only costs 1 mana for a minion to permanently have 3 more attack creating a minion who can take down an enemy minion worth much more mana. The card healing 6 hp for 2 mana is also a good deal, In close-games that can give you another turn in which you can deal the fatal attack to your opponent before he can deal the last strike with a large minion summoned in the late game or its a good overall boost to help stall for time while you destroy your opponents minions or deal the last blow. 

Guest Azamyr

I've been playing with this deck, and as an almost complete noob (I've played Magic: TG a bit, but am terrible at it) have gone 7 for 9 in ranked thus far. Before doing that, following the other guides here, I opened up all the basic cards, saved most of my gold (at 730 now), and am doing my best to learn and memorize the cards. That's the thank you part.

Here's the question:

I picked up an Aldor Peacekeeper and put it in this deck in place of a Frostwolf Overlord. I like it so much, I made another and replaced the second Frostwolf Overlord. Was that a bad choice for replacement?

Thanks in advance.

I've been playing with this deck, and as an almost complete noob (I've played Magic: TG a bit, but am terrible at it) have gone 7 for 9 in ranked thus far. Before doing that, following the other guides here, I opened up all the basic cards, saved most of my gold (at 730 now), and am doing my best to learn and memorize the cards. That's the thank you part.

Here's the question:

I picked up an Aldor Peacekeeper and put it in this deck in place of a Frostwolf Overlord. I like it so much, I made another and replaced the second Frostwolf Overlord. Was that a bad choice for replacement?

Thanks in advance.

I think it was a good choice. The Aldor Peacekeeper is a great card and it'll work great with your minions.

Guest BadPirate

The engineer doesn't make any sense. Paladin can already create a 1/1 for 2 and a 0 net card loss with his ability. All this does is take away a choice.

Guest BRO

Great deck.

I've decided to master one hero, and Pally it was. Tried a few decks made available online and this has given me the most success. I personally prefer control over the aggro style of play, but don't have the cards yet for beyond this basic control deck. Played 100s of games with this deck (in the various modes) and I think I'm becoming quite familiar with the 15 unique cards in this deck and how to instinctively play with whats in front of me.

In rank play mode, though, I've only made it to rank 17 (and struggling to make it past), though I still have a good hit rate in casual play mode.

What is the highest rank a deck like this can take somebody to before it becomes absolutely necessary to go for one of the more expensive paladin control decks?

Thanks again.

Guest BRO
This deck has served me well and is still my favourite basic control deck. It is well rounded with a weapon, healing, buffing, big hitters and great synergy (turns out to suite me very well). I've been looking, though, to graduate to the next Paladin control deck on Icy Veins (to move further up the ranks), but unfortunately I don't yet have the budget for all the required cards (given there is no low-budget control, the next being a mid-budget control).

I have collected some cards beyond basic cards (and dust) from arena and daily challenge play, so was looking how to rather incrementally improve my current basic deck BUT without changing the well crafted synergy of it.

So what I did was study the mid-budget control deck for better cards (that I could craft or already have) to substitute into this basic one without changing much of the functions or synergy (because they work so well for me).

Below is the original Icy Veins basic control Paladin deck with my changes (so far) in brackets:

2x Hand of Protection

2x Novice Engineer

2x Acidic Swamp Ooze

2x Shattered Sun Cleric

2x Razorfen Hunter (2x Harvest Golem -- similar to Razorfen, but better second minion generated and at death. Mana curve maintained)

2x Truesilver Champion

2x Consecration

2x Chillwind Yeti (2x Twilight Drake -- Only need 4 cards in hand for this to function exactly like the Yeti. With more cards in hand, which happens often enough, this becomes an even better card. Mana curve maintained)

2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta

2x Hammer of Wrath

2x Blessing of Kings

2x Stormpike Commando

2x Frostwolf Warlord (2x Defender of Argus -- the function changes from buffing itself to buffing minions to side with taunt. Cost moved from 5-drop to 4-drop card).

2x Guardian of Kings

2x Stormwind Champion

I welcome any feedback on these changes or suggestions for more changes that enhances the existing deck without changing too much of the synergy and functionality. 

If possible, it would be nice if such suggestions could be included on the basic deck pages -- cards beyond basic that can be substituted in when/if you get them, but don't change the synergy or functionality. Creates a kind of wishlist of cards to get to keep beefing up deck.

Thanks again to this site and its authors for the great resource.

Here is some gameplay footage of games I lost, if you guys can provide me any constructive feedback that'd be great

I don't agree with excluding the last two paladin-specific cards. Good strategy with taunt can protect the minion it is used on, and like the explanation with Stormplike Commando it can also create a minion fearsome enough for the opponent to need to sacrifice a minion to destroy it. Lastly, it can also be used to create a sacrifice in order to destroy a much larger minion. There's a lot you can do with that card and it only costs 1 mana for a minion to permanently have 3 more attack creating a minion who can take down an enemy minion worth much more mana. 

I agree with this.  This feels like a better early game helper than the divine shield spell and they both cost one mana.  The divine shield is great, but usually better for mid-late game and this deck lacks in the early game.  However, casting +3 on an early champ or even one of your recruits is viable.  Sure the recruit is likely to die next turn, but its usually a good trade off as the recruit can take out most early-mid game threat that are worth more than 1 mana.  Also, your opponent is forced to deal with him next turn if he doesn't die.  And even if you don't need it early game, you can use it later to take a mid game champ to end game level.  It just feels like a far more versatile card than divine shield.

Not sure i agree on the other half of the post about the 2 mana pally card that heals 6.  Its nice, but looses card advantage and does essentially the same thing is the Guardian of Kings champ with no champ to back it up.  The creator of the deck has it right here.

I also don't agree with Stormpike Commando.  He's expensive for what he provides and since he's higher in mana cost, he can only handle early game threats in mid to late game play so its too late.  Id rather have another 5 mana champ i can count on or a 2-3 mana champ that would help my early game.  Maybe the Murloc with charge?  Not sure as I've used a different champ not from the basic set to fill this slot currently.

Overall, not a bad deck.  Just needs a bit more early game presence beyond free recruits.

Edited by scape211

Guest Zephanian

Truesilver chamipon but no weapon included? Am I missing something?

Truesilver chamipon but no weapon included? Am I missing something?

What are you trying to say?

Guest jerodast

The engineer doesn't make any sense. Paladin can already create a 1/1 for 2 and a 0 net card loss with his ability. All this does is take away a choice.

This is because the Engineer used to be 1/2, but was nerfed. Unfortunately Icy Veins doesn't really update their guides, they just rubber stamp "approved for [latest season]" without looking at changes.

This is because the Engineer used to be 1/2, but was nerfed. Unfortunately Icy Veins doesn't really update their guides, they just rubber stamp "approved for [latest season]" without looking at changes.

Hey, jerodast

The non-basic decks were updated with every season and the next update will be done with the release of the final Naxxramas wing. The basic decks have been reviewed and deemed valid for Season 4 as the changelog states.

As for Novice Engineer, I am fairly certain that you are familiar with the concept of thinning your deck and its benefits on the basic level where the card pool is extremely limited, especially if you are playing Hearthstone since the Novice Engineer nerf. 

Regardless, should you have a constructive suggestion or a question about a specific deck or a card in this case, we will be glad to help you out / consider your input.

Kind regards,

Poyo

Guest ICEninja

I too noticed, in game, that the engineer doesn't seem to serve much of a function over the silver hand recruit since it is the same 1/1 for one mana and both nets a 0 card change. I swapped mine for a pair of 2/1 murdocs, which seem to work nicely with divine shield. I've since opened a couple packs though, and a basic player who has picked up a few new cards could easily replace this with their first decent low level finds or the 2/1 silencing owl.

If we're only including bare basics though, the 2/1 murdoc, 1/2 taunt footman, or something along those lines (person preference matters more than anything here) works well. I personally prefer one cost cards to two cost cards, as the pally's hero spell (somewhat) seems to fill that void.

Guest Pacito

Thanks for posting this deck, it really works out!

One question, though: what do you think about swapping at lest one sun cleric with a raid leader?

Guest Avarice85

Can we get some suggested cards to put into this deck once we get thru Naxx and open some packs? 

Sign in to follow this