FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] S8 Hearthstone Mid Budget Paladin Control Deck

Guest Rinshun

Hello,

The novice engineer got nerfed to 1/1, do you think It loses it's place in a paladin deck? A loot hoarder would do better?

Thanks!

Hello,

The novice engineer got nerfed to 1/1, do you think It loses it's place in a paladin deck? A loot hoarder would do better?

Thanks!

I think that the Loot Hoarder is certainly more interesting compared to the Engineer than it was before. But I don't think that the Engineer automatically loses its place.

Consider the following.

Both the Engineer and the Loot Hoarder have 1 health, so whenever the Engineer would die to a Hero Power, so would the Hoarder. This means that the Loot Hoarder's 1 extra attack is entirely wasted (except for maybe dealing damage to the opponent's hero, which is pretty useless). The Hoarder's attack is very useful when it gets to live long enough to attack, allowing it to potentially kill an enemy 3/2 minion. This is its most valuable benefit.

The Novice Engineer is guaranteed to draw you a card. Its effect is impervious to silences. Granted, I have not had many Loot Hoarders silenced, but it does happen sometimes, and it can be a pretty big hit to take. Consider also that the Loot Hoarder is a prime target for Earth Shock.

The Novice Engineer draws you a card right away. This is significant, especially later on in the game when your hand consists of few cards, and you need to draw a better answer. The Loot Hoarder's delay will often prove very detrimental, whereas with the Engineer you get a card to play on the same turn.

So, I personally would be quite hesitant to give up the speed and reliability of the card draw for 1 extra attack. But that's not to say it's really clear cut. Loot Hoarder is pretty nice :)

Guest Kenai

I think novice engineer is a waste of a card imo (since nerf). Why waste 1 card in your deck for a 1/1 with card draw ? acolyte of pain would be a much better choice or even a Loot Hoarder. 

Guest Rinshun

Thanks, vlad. I didn't consider that a loot hoarder could be silenced.

But if we want a 1/1 token for no card expense, in a paladin deck, shouldn't we use the class ability? I know we can only use it once every turn, but that just makes NE weaker in these decks, imo

I think novice engineer is a waste of a card imo (since nerf). Why waste 1 card in your deck for a 1/1 with card draw ? acolyte of pain would be a much better choice or even a Loot Hoarder. 

Please see above why I think Novice Engineer is viable. Acolyte of Pain is a good card, and it's great if you can buff it with Kings. The problem is that it's too slow. Sometimes, it can take several turns to draw a card with it, which might be too late.

Loot Hoarder is a viable alternative, sure. The only concerns are that it can be silenced (although it's unlikely), and that in the late game, it's slower to draw you a card than the Novice Engineer.

Thanks, vlad. I didn't consider that a loot hoarder could be silenced.

But if we want a 1/1 token for no card expense, in a paladin deck, shouldn't we use the class ability? I know we can only use it once every turn, but that just makes NE weaker in these decks, imo

The strength of the Novice Engineer is not the 1/1 body, but the instant card draw.

Also keep in mind that play Novice Engineer on an early turn (when you aren't under pressure) will thin out the rest of your deck, meaning that you will draw your important cards sooner.

Guest Adam

I lack a ragnaros, is a yesra a subtitle replacement? Also the deck feels kind of weakened due to secrets only being activated on your opponents turn, any redemption replacements

I lack a ragnaros, is a yesra a subtitle replacement? Also the deck feels kind of weakened due to secrets only being activated on your opponents turn, any redemption replacements

The problem with Ysera is that she's much, much slower than Ragnaros. Sure, if you can afford to waste a turn playing her, and if she survives another turn (and you aren't dead either), then you've gained a massive advantage. That said, giving up a turn to play Ysera without affecting the board in any way whatsoever can be a pretty significant problem. Ragnaros is great in this regard because he does something as soon as you play him. So, you can try out Ysera, but a better replacement would probably be something like Tirion, or maybe even just a second Guardian of Ancient Kings.

As for Secrets, Redemption does not necessarily activate on your opponent's turn. You can play Redemption, then make a trade with one of your minions (like a Scarlet Crusader, for instance), and have them come back to life (and with their Divine Shield, too). If you were to replace them, you should probably add something that's in the same cost range. Argent Squires or maybe Argent Protectors.

What's the best possible Paladin Control deck that I can build from the cards I own?

I have many of the cards in the build posted here, but missing a couple and when I build it and replace them with cards i like i can't seem to hold a win streak in ranked play. 

This is my inventory if you want to offer a deck build suggestion

This is what i have to work with (basic cards not included)

Paladin Specific:
1x Blessing of Wisdom
2x Redemption
2x Equality
2x Argent Protector
2x Divine Favor
1x Aldor Peacekeeper
1x Avenging Wrath
1x Tirion Fordring

Neutral
2x Abusive Sergeant
2x Argent Squire
1x Hungry Crab
2x Leper Gnome
1x Lightwarden
2x Murloc Tidecaller
2x Amani Berserker
2x Ancient Watcher
1x Doomsayer
2x Faerie Dragon
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Knife Juggler
2x Loot Hoarder
1x Mad Bomber
2x Sunfury Protector
2x Wild Pyromancer
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Arcane Golem
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Coldlight Oracle
2x Coldlight Seer
2x Earthen Ring Farseer
2x Harvest Golem
2x Imp Master
2x Injured Blademaster
2x Murloc Warleader
2x Scarlet Crusader
2x Dark Iron Dwarf
2x Defender of Argus
1x Leeroy Jenkins
2x Spellbreaker
2x Twilight Drake
2x Azure Drake
1x Faceless Manipulator
2x Fen Creeper
1x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2x Argent Commander
1x Sylvanas Windrunner
2x Molten Giant

Guest Bookrat

"This Medium Budget Paladin Control deck uses most combos available to Paladins.Equality with Wild Pyromancer / Consecration will stop most early aggressive decks. "

... except that there's no Wild Pyromancers in the deck!  And it's not like they were just left off the card list: the deck is at 30 cards already.

Care to change the comment ... or the deck construction?

Guest Gregor Clegane

The redemption - Harvest golem combo is amazing early game if you can pull that off, and noble sacrifice is what people normally expects, you will often get a 1 for 2-3, so i would not switch out the redemption.   this deck got me from rank 25 to 12 in one big winning streak, so i would definately say its viable, maybe not in the later ranks, but overall a solid deck. switched out the lay on hands for an additional argent commander, and a silver hand knight, for some more mid game pressure. also switched out the Novice engineer for a couple of loot hoarders, its quite good against opponents that dont got much early removal

I'm kinda new to this game and have every card for this deck except Ragnaros, Anything that can go in its place? I have a Mountain Giant or a Molten Giant? 

Any tips for playing this deck with this limitation?

BTW --- Been a lurker on this site for a couple years... you guys are great  :)

Guest ChuckD

Really dissappointed in this deck.  It is easily overwhelmed due to RNG.  It was a big waste of effort to create it.

Sign in to follow this