FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] S7 Hearthstone Legendary Priest Control Deck

Why Twilight Drake when you don't have potential to draw many cards?

You do not need a deck that draws a lot of cards to make good use of Twilight Drake. Usually, you play these on turns 4/5, while you have been holding on to your cards for the first 3 turns, and then you give them taunt with Sunfury Protectors or Defenders of Argus.

As a Priest, you play a pretty slow control game, so you end up holding a lot of cards in your hand all game long. This is especially true since a lot of your cards are answers to your opponent, so you can't just play them whenever.

Guest NameTBA

This deck is shit. You will get run over by EVERY fast deck you meet unless you draw exactly what you need to deal with, which you 9/10 times wont. I can't tell you how many times I have had ragnaros, mindcontrol and 2xcircle of healing/ancient watcher and not drawn a single card to give it taunt (which is the only way to make ancient watcher capable of anything since there is 0 silence in this deck, which is also shit btw)

The only way to survive a murloc rush/hunter/warrior/rogue is drawing an ancient watcher and sunfury protector before round 3 and all you have is still a 4/5 with taunt that cant attack at turn 3, that is bad. This deck is so combo heavy that if you don't draw exactly what you need at exactly the right time you will most likely die before you ever get to round 10 and if you make it that far be ready to have the most boring match you can imagine while you wait for your oppenent to run out of cards and kill himself (this is how I win about 50% of the matches I win with this deck)

Circle of healing - only useable with soulpriest or injured blade master.

Ancient Watcher - only useable with a monster that gives it taunt, still it cant attack and your oppenent will most likely just silence it and go over the top.

Sunfury Protector - good luck keeping board control so that this card is actually usefull past turn 3.

Big Game Hunter - useless card until around turn 7 and still VERY situational.

Injured Blademaster - without circle of healing this is basiclly a spell absorber, it will die instantly.

Tinkermaster Overspark - This card can do 2 things, it can get rid of one of your oppenents strong monsters (unless you can deal with a 5/5 afterwards dont use it) or buff one of ur weak minions (prefably a 1/1 so you don't lose anything if it becomes a squarrel) just too bad this deck doesnt have a 1/1 so half of this card use is useless in this deck, ur better of getting a Shadow word death.

Shadow Madness - I don't undestand why this card is even in here... This deck is so luck dependend that Mindgames is a MUCH better choice, then atleast you will get some free wins when you get a ragnaros or ysera out on turn 4.

Auchenai soulpriest - this is one of the few cards in this deck that can save you from getting destroyed by strong early game decks, if you are lucky enough to draw it with circle of healing that is, if not, it's useless.

Defender of Argus - Like Sunfury, you will rarely have the board control to actually get it's full effect

Twilight Drake - WAUW, talk about a bad card for this deck.... there are so many ways to stop this card. And this deck has 0 draw so unless your oppenent doesn't do anything for the first 3 turns this card will just die as soon as you play it, if you actually managed to draw it that early in the game, if you don't draw it with your start draw you will get something like 4/3 for 4 mana..... not worth it.

Holy Nova - a decent card, just a shame it is so nerfed with this deck. 5 mana cost for 2 aoe damage on ur oppenent is not nearly as cost effective as, lets say mage flamestrike, and it might aswell not heal your minions since that will so rarely happen because, again, you won't have board control.

Holy Fire - Half the games I play with this deck this is the card that keeps me in the game. You can't go wrong with this card. Though its effect is greatly diminished against early game decks, like every other card in this deck.... And again it can rarely messure up against similar cards like druids starfall.

Cabal Shadow Priest - Another card that is extremly situational. Really only usefull if your oppenent start sending out weak monsters late game or if you have board control, again, you won't have board control.

Sylvanas Windrunner - Without a Shadow Word Death your oppenent will simply run everything he has into it so you won't get its deathrattle or he will ignore it, or silence it, or spam low cost creatures so it's deathrattle is useless anyway.

The Black Knight - Again, situational, and again useless against early game decks and decks without strong taunt minions in it.

Ragnaros - Again this deck has so bad board control this card is likely to just die after it has dealt its first 8 damage which is just as likely to kill your oppenets 1/1 then his strong creatues or it will simply hit over the top in which case you just wasted 8 mana.

Mind Control - If you get to turn 10 AND have board control this card will secure your victory. 9 out of 10 times though, all this card do is sit in ur hand the entire game until you lose or slow down your deafeat.

With this deck you will lose about 70% of your games and the 30% you win won't be epic matches that will go down in history. It will be you facerolling your oppenent and winning with 30 hp left.... what fun. Trust me on this, if you play this deck, it won't be long before you uninstall hearthstone. Over the top decks are played so much atm that this deck is useless, so far I have yet to get past 18 in ranked with this deck.

@ Vlad - Wrong. You do need fast draw to make use of Twilight Drake. Sure, you can be lucky that you can get it out on turn 4/5 and at BEST you get a 4/9, now you can hope and pray you oppenent doesnt have a silence or any of the other countless card ppl run in their decks to deal with card with strong effects, polymorph, hex, excecute, Humility, rependence or equality, the list goes on.

And with this deck you won't have a lot of cards in your hand, you will be busy throwing everything you got in your oppenet face just to avoid getting killed by the 3 murlocs your oppenent summoned on his second turn.

Guest Zoley

I use almost the same deck, but I only have Rag and Tink, not the other legendaries. But I cant progress further r14, no matter what. I usually lose to handlocks or rush rogue/hunters. whats the tip? I dont play  the cards mindlessly. and I dont have the feeling that I have a lot of bigdick units. If they shoot/hex/poly/whatever the Rag, the main killer is gone, the others are the 4/x cards...

This deck is shit. You will get run over by EVERY fast deck you meet unless you draw exactly what you need to deal with, which you 9/10 times wont. I can't tell you how many times I have had ragnaros, mindcontrol and 2xcircle of healing/ancient watcher and not drawn a single card to give it taunt (which is the only way to make ancient watcher capable of anything since there is 0 silence in this deck, which is also shit btw)

The only way to survive a murloc rush/hunter/warrior/rogue is drawing an ancient watcher and sunfury protector before round 3 and all you have is still a 4/5 with taunt that cant attack at turn 3, that is bad. This deck is so combo heavy that if you don't draw exactly what you need at exactly the right time you will most likely die before you ever get to round 10 and if you make it that far be ready to have the most boring match you can imagine while you wait for your oppenent to run out of cards and kill himself (this is how I win about 50% of the matches I win with this deck)

Circle of healing - only useable with soulpriest or injured blade master.

Ancient Watcher - only useable with a monster that gives it taunt, still it cant attack and your oppenent will most likely just silence it and go over the top.

Sunfury Protector - good luck keeping board control so that this card is actually usefull past turn 3.

Big Game Hunter - useless card until around turn 7 and still VERY situational.

Injured Blademaster - without circle of healing this is basiclly a spell absorber, it will die instantly.

Tinkermaster Overspark - This card can do 2 things, it can get rid of one of your oppenents strong monsters (unless you can deal with a 5/5 afterwards dont use it) or buff one of ur weak minions (prefably a 1/1 so you don't lose anything if it becomes a squarrel) just too bad this deck doesnt have a 1/1 so half of this card use is useless in this deck, ur better of getting a Shadow word death.

Shadow Madness - I don't undestand why this card is even in here... This deck is so luck dependend that Mindgames is a MUCH better choice, then atleast you will get some free wins when you get a ragnaros or ysera out on turn 4.

Auchenai soulpriest - this is one of the few cards in this deck that can save you from getting destroyed by strong early game decks, if you are lucky enough to draw it with circle of healing that is, if not, it's useless.

Defender of Argus - Like Sunfury, you will rarely have the board control to actually get it's full effect

Twilight Drake - WAUW, talk about a bad card for this deck.... there are so many ways to stop this card. And this deck has 0 draw so unless your oppenent doesn't do anything for the first 3 turns this card will just die as soon as you play it, if you actually managed to draw it that early in the game, if you don't draw it with your start draw you will get something like 4/3 for 4 mana..... not worth it.

Holy Nova - a decent card, just a shame it is so nerfed with this deck. 5 mana cost for 2 aoe damage on ur oppenent is not nearly as cost effective as, lets say mage flamestrike, and it might aswell not heal your minions since that will so rarely happen because, again, you won't have board control.

Holy Fire - Half the games I play with this deck this is the card that keeps me in the game. You can't go wrong with this card. Though its effect is greatly diminished against early game decks, like every other card in this deck.... And again it can rarely messure up against similar cards like druids starfall.

Cabal Shadow Priest - Another card that is extremly situational. Really only usefull if your oppenent start sending out weak monsters late game or if you have board control, again, you won't have board control.

Sylvanas Windrunner - Without a Shadow Word Death your oppenent will simply run everything he has into it so you won't get its deathrattle or he will ignore it, or silence it, or spam low cost creatures so it's deathrattle is useless anyway.

The Black Knight - Again, situational, and again useless against early game decks and decks without strong taunt minions in it.

Ragnaros - Again this deck has so bad board control this card is likely to just die after it has dealt its first 8 damage which is just as likely to kill your oppenets 1/1 then his strong creatues or it will simply hit over the top in which case you just wasted 8 mana.

Mind Control - If you get to turn 10 AND have board control this card will secure your victory. 9 out of 10 times though, all this card do is sit in ur hand the entire game until you lose or slow down your deafeat.

With this deck you will lose about 70% of your games and the 30% you win won't be epic matches that will go down in history. It will be you facerolling your oppenent and winning with 30 hp left.... what fun. Trust me on this, if you play this deck, it won't be long before you uninstall hearthstone. Over the top decks are played so much atm that this deck is useless, so far I have yet to get past 18 in ranked with this deck.

@ Vlad - Wrong. You do need fast draw to make use of Twilight Drake. Sure, you can be lucky that you can get it out on turn 4/5 and at BEST you get a 4/9, now you can hope and pray you oppenent doesnt have a silence or any of the other countless card ppl run in their decks to deal with card with strong effects, polymorph, hex, excecute, Humility, rependence or equality, the list goes on.

And with this deck you won't have a lot of cards in your hand, you will be busy throwing everything you got in your oppenet face just to avoid getting killed by the 3 murlocs your oppenent summoned on his second turn.

There is so much wrong in this post.

You are simply going through all the cards, mentioning situations in which they are not ideal, and then deciding that the cards are bad. That's not how it works.

Ancient Watcher: yes, it can't attack. But you make it sound like getting a Sunfury Protector or Defender of Argus in your hand (you have 4!) is difficult. It's not. Also, if the opponent silences the Ancient Watcher to "go over the top", your Ancient Watcher can then attack. Surprise! It's a very good card, and it is actually excellent specifically against the rush decks you are complaining about.

Auchenai Soulpriest is most efficient if paired with Circle of Healing, true. But even when not, it's still a 3/5 for 4, which is good value. Not to mention that starting from turn 6, it allows you to do also pair it with a Hero Power for 2 damage, which can be extremely helpful. It's a good card that's hard for your opponent to remove in a single turn.

Big Game Hunter is indeed a situational card to be used late in the game. What's your point? Is the meta-game such that there aren't any 7-attack or higher minions around? Then remove it from the deck. But chances are that there is a Ragnaros in the opponent's deck, so save BGH for that.

Injured Blademaster, even without Cricle of Healing, is a 4/3 for 3. And that's pretty darn good value. You can even heal it with your own Hero Power. I'm not sure what a "spell absorber" is.

Shadow Madness is an amazing card. It's not at all random (unlike Mindgames, which is pretty dire). In most situations it will end up being a 2-for-1 or better. Also helps you deal nicely with rush decks.

Say what you will about the Twilight Drake, you do not need drawing power to use it. You just don't. You use the Drake either on turn 4, if you have it in your hand by then, in which case it is an amazing 4/9, or you use it when you draw it, in which case, unless you're totally out of cards, it's still probably a 4/4 or 4/5, which is nice. It can be silenced. Ok, so what? Are you now saying that any card that can be silenced or hexed, or Polymorphed, or Equalitied is bad and should not be used? That argument makes zero sense.

I do not understand your complaints regarding Holy Nova.

Actually, you know what, I can't even continue replying to this because I don't think you really understand what you're saying. It sounds to me like you are keeping the wrong cards in your hand at the start of the game. It also sounds like you're trying to fit every card into the same mold. Some cards are situational, which means you save them for the respective situation, not just use them whenever you want and then complain that they don't work.

I use almost the same deck, but I only have Rag and Tink, not the other legendaries. But I cant progress further r14, no matter what. I usually lose to handlocks or rush rogue/hunters. whats the tip? I dont play  the cards mindlessly. and I dont have the feeling that I have a lot of bigdick units. If they shoot/hex/poly/whatever the Rag, the main killer is gone, the others are the 4/x cards...

Priests are not in a very good place in the meta-game right now, since they're typically oriented towards slow play and the meta-game is very aggressive.

While I don't think the iteration above is that great for a couple reasons, I have been running with a version that I adapted, replacing a few cards for some card draw to synchronize better with the deck. 

When you combo the card draw from the priests with the healing used on the taunted blademasters, watchers, and drakes, you can build your deck fast. The addition of Thoughsteal and Mindgames add some RNG that generally helps quite a bit, especially to throw your opponent off. Also, I replaced BGH with SW:D because I feel the >5 threshold is a bit more useful. This version has a little more flexibility in the early game, while depending upon rag, mc, and ysera to close out. 

See deck in sig

• Like 1

Guest holypickle

This deck isn't overly helpful - I built this up, and every opponent rolled over me so fast, as over most cards cost 4 and above... I am constantly left with 4,5,6 cards for the first 4-5 rounds (obviously).

I would suggest editing in some more low level cards if you want to use this.

Sign in to follow this