FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
croana

AMR telling me to regem mastery after Unholy buff. Why?

As the title says.

AMR is now telling me to gem my unholy DK to mastery, even though I've been gemming to crit up until now.

Does this have to do with the Unholy Might buff? If so, why? Or is this just AMR derping out because it has weighed crit too close to mastery?

The one issue you might currently have with AMR is that if you generate custom weights with SimCraft, and then plug them directly into AMR, *both* sides of that equation factor in the boost from Thok's Tail Tip into the weights. You would have to manually reduce the weight of haste/mastery from SimC to account for that.

(Note: neither SimC or AMR is wrong in this case -- they both do the right thing, because hand-rolled weights into AMR need the boost, and SimC weights used in non-AMR tools need the boost. You just need to make sure it only happens once though.)

Beyond that potential issue clouding things, AMR is doing what you told it to do. If it advises you to gem mastery, it is because your stat weights told it that you wanted mastery gemmed.

Most likely, though, you are seeing the effect of all three secondary stats being so very close for unholy, and the double-boost of mastery/haste pushing you into an unexpected (but probably not actually wrong overall despite that) strategy.

When you have stats very close in value, diving farther into one tends to increase the value of the others.  I'm guessing that if you regemmed everything to mastery, it would tell you to go back to crit, and not be wrong at either point; the optimal answer is somewhere in between.  Regardless, whenever this happens it means you have multiple stats that are very good for your class, so picking one or the other isn't going to be a dramatic loss the way it would be if an ele sham decided to gem crit (because he was, I dunno, brain-damaged or something).

Look up how to do reforge plots in simcraft if you want to really fine tune it.  Otherwise, whenever AMR says "gem mastery" change one gem at a time.  If it tells you to undo whatever you just did, leave it.

• Like 1