FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Veox

Help - Destro Lock :)

Never trust AMR. It's screwed me on to many toons to many times for me to ever use it again.

You linked logs asking about reforging, not sure why. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/arathor/Vikt%C3%B8r/advanced is his armory link.

*I* wouldn't reforge like he is, but his reforging is not *wrong* either. His pure int gem is, however, wrong. 120/120 or 320 gems all the way.

It's really a lot more helpful if the person seeking help comes here.

just leave it default and click optimize? no haste caps etc?

Ive had a very good experience with AMR. I would leave as default for destro and run let it run and see what it spits out. If your haste is close to, or above 9778, I would add that haste cap.

Also, dont worry if you are not exactly at 15% hit. A lot of people will tell you otherwise, but being say 14.99% hit equal to missing on a spell hit every 3 months or something like that. Thats akin to having meteor insurance; just for the off chance your house gets hit by a meteor.

Also, dont worry if you are not exactly at 15% hit. A lot of people will tell you otherwise, but being say 14.99% hit equal to missing on a spell hit every 3 months or something like that. Thats akin to having meteor insurance; just for the off chance your house gets hit by a meteor.

That is....truly horrible advice.

When I first came back to my warlock as a main I was sitting at 14.98% hit because my gear was so bad I just couldn't get 15% unless I used all blue hit gems. I then got to watch four CBs miss in a row on Heroic Horradon after fourth door.

You should ALWAYS hit cap, no matter what. The cap is 1) easy to get in the gear available even at low-ish ilvl, 2) removes a part of RNG that can majorly screw you 3) prevents Murphy's Law.

I raid at 15.01% because I'm an unlucky guy.  If you're lucky, you might not ever miss at 14.95%.  Locky clearly has horrible lucky to have 4 spells miss in a row with a 0.02% chance.  It can happen. 

Nope, Locky and I have joined forces and lead 8 others as we plow content.  We basically took some good friends who weren't as progressed and got them two new kills our first night of raiding.  Hope to tackle Spoils, Thok, and Siege tonight.  They're awesome...just not used to high calibur.  Once we establish our core 10, we'll start recruiting for Mythic by grabbing one new person per week.  We're not going to do the slugfest poaching going on right now where everyone is trying to snipe the best players.  All of us are pushing 95th+ percentiles, so people will want to join us, not the other way around.

what did blizzard say about hit rating at blizzcon? i know everyone's been complaining forever about anything over hitcap feels like wasted stats, and that hit is a boring stat anyway. did they say anything about changing it for WOD? if they're getting rid of reforging they fucking better do something about hit.

and good luck with the new guild. the headhunting/poaching truly has reached an all-time high. i asked one GM how they get my name since i refuse to believe all these people actually sift through all those WOL ranking pages. turns out there's a site that does that for you and i'm the #2 best parsing 25M warlock in the US http://www.proraiders.com/ranks/index.php?spec=Destruction_Warlock now if i could just convince our rogues to give me tricks for one fucking night and then convince the guild to stop locking out for garrosh and then convince our raid leader to try dps whore strats on immerseus/sha/shamans/spoils and then get super lucky rng i could close the gap to #1... sleep.png

that #1 lock though. holy shit the numbers he pulls.

Edited by mediocregatsby

Im shocked that site is still around.I remember finding out about it a year or two ago but thought it would live a short life.

Right off the bat the way they rank things is incomplete and misleading, it doesn't take in to account a lot of variables that are critical to determining a DPS's value, and it simply fails to track a lot of logs correctly.

I had a GM in ToT that loved the crap out of that site, I had to write him a memo that read like a phone book showing him how grossly wrong the site was before he stopped using it as a recruitment tool.

The quality of recruits we got shot up afterward.  

i've been looking into the usefulness of the site lately. it tracks and ranks on 3 separate things: percentiles, ranking points, and average DPS.

average DPS is by far the most useless stat. it just flat out averages your DPS from your most recent parses and ranks that against others of your spec. do you sit for immerseus and galakras? prepare to have no rank at all on this metric.

the percentiles are more useful, although after backwards calculating the formula the site uses to calculate percentiles, i have some gripes with it. basically it looks at your epeen/raidbots percentiles, grabs the most recent one for each tracked boss (immerseus to thok, heroics only) and averages them. the problem is this is pretty unforgiving. if you happened to die on a farm night kill or you're assigned to do galakras towers, your percentile will suffer. that being said, i've maintained 92-94th percentile for like 4 weeks running which means i haven't died in 48 farm night kills and averaged very high DPS on every boss (high enough to probably rank every time). having a low percentile doesn't mean someone is bad, but having a high percentile probably means someone is good and/or plays in a raid environment that supports high parses. i've actually come up with my own formula for percentiles that my raid uses instead which is a lot more forgiving and "accurate" in measuring someone's consistency/skill on farm.

now for the site's unique PR ranks. i have yet to finish figuring out the formula for this but it seems the site admin has made drastic improvements upon it over time. basically, it looks to see if you have WOL ranks (top 150 per heroic boss) and assigns a point value for your rank. the points are assigned on a non-linear curve so higher and higher ranks are rewarded better and better. it adds up all the points for all the WOL ranks you have and then ranks you against everyone else. any problems identifying a normal vs heroic or rank vs non-rank is pinned on WOL's own parsing/ranking. 

although i'll never say that WOL ranks mean a player is more or less skilled than someone else, i (and most raid leaders, probably) will admit that having ranks is potentially indicative of some good things. at best, it's like seeing buzzwords on someone's CV and giving them a closer look among the normal rabble. at worst, recruiters blindly place ranks on a pedestal and everything else is viewed through a rose colored lens.

also i missed this earlier but AMR is fine. it's a tool like any other, it's only as good as you can use it.

Edited by mediocregatsby

The problem with average DPS is as you say - it's inconsequential. 

The problem with percentiles is raid comp variance, strategy variance, and RNG.  Anyone doing Heroic raids have surely seen their DPS swing by upwards of 50-60k just because PBI trolled you at the start or KTT gave you an 11% uptime (happened to me this week).  Percentiles need to be looked at over a period of time, not one particular instance.  Warlocks have a unique toolkit that allows them to artificially inflate their DPS if his or her teammates are bad or let him abuse his toolkit.  For instance, I request that my Hunter not continue to DPS adds on Spoils that are below 20%.  This allows me to Shadowburn far more often which generates more Chaos Bolts and shortens the fight while making me look like a monster.  If another Warlock has uncooperative teammates, he will look worse than me even if he isn't.  If a Warlock does the belts on Siegecrafter, he's going to push at a 20th percentile.  Logs tell a story...they're just harder to read than a 2 digit percentile number for most recruiters.  The reason recruiting is so heavy right now is because it is so hit and miss.  There are a LOT of bad players out there who have 10+ heroic kills.

Rankings at this point in the tier are purely laden with RNG.  With the notice of the PQR bots and the number of Heroic raiders it affected, I don't put much into anyone's rankings unless I watch them play or they can explain their rotation.  I've seen a lot of raiders suddenly disappear with that latest banwave and noticed a lot of high rankings.  These PQR bots skewed the percentiles as well.  If you are consistently pushing 90th percentile, I'd argue you're likely much more around 95%ile.  Lots of things go into those rankings, but none of them give a factual, unbiased analysis.

Well the original messages from the OP were deleted, but browsed a bit and I don't really know what to say.

People with profiles from back in Dragon Soul to automatically click the Ultraxion boss button for fading light etc.

I can understand people who use bots to level for them, but to actually beat PvE encounters (which you do for the fun of learning and beating an encounter) just baffles me.

It's funny in a way but really really sad to actually do this.

• Like 2

Some of the posts were hilariously embarrassing.  Some people saying they couldn't see true end game without PQR or others saying that they don't have the time to learn how to deal with the 'button bloat' of maximizing DPS.  Any excuse they could come up with...I felt rather bad for them.  Then I remembered what they did and I enjoyed the whining about being banned.

For instance, I request that my Hunter not continue to DPS adds on Spoils that are below 20%.  This allows me to Shadowburn far more often which generates more Chaos Bolts and shortens the fight while making me look like a monster.  If another Warlock has uncooperative teammates, he will look worse than me even if he isn't. 

hehehe. MY SHADOWBURNS.

PQR made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me rage. Oh, the good times....good times.

I raid at 15.01% because I'm an unlucky guy.  If you're lucky, you might not ever miss at 14.95%.  Locky clearly has horrible lucky to have 4 spells miss in a row with a 0.02% chance.  It can happen. 

Yup, I am one of those lucky one. I have gone with like 13% hit as affliction and not felt the difference. 

wow the posts in that botting thread following the banwave are hilarious and sad. they are actually mad that the permabans went out right around a payment period so they basically paid for a month of not playing, and people are suggesting they contact blizzard CS about it... lol