Warlock PvP in Arenas 5.4 Affliction or Destruction

Affliction vs Destruction   5 members have voted

1. 1. 2v2

2. 2. 3v3

3. 3. 5v5

• Affliction
    • Destruction

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 posts in this topic

The Topic

Although I may be posting this late into the release of 5.4 and during the new hot craze about upcoming Warlords of Draenor. 

The topic of discussion here, as the title suggests, is which Warlock specialization do you find most effective in which arena. This thread applies mainly to Affliction and Destruction, the reason I have exempted Demonology is because it was severely nerfed IMO during the 5.4 release.

Personally, I find Destruction to be the most viable option for 2v2. It offers the best burst damage for the Warlock specs and the big hits of Chaos Bolt is devastating to any 2v2 team with limited heals. Shadowburn is a great way to just melt your enemy below 20%.

As far as DoTs go, it is impossible to compete with Affliction, but Immolate has a pretty good DoT effect, and the snare that comes along with Conflagrate (if you decided not to buy the glyph) is a great combination with your Gateways and Portals. 

Destruction's Ember Tap is a spectacular survival tool especially combined with Dark Regeneration. In a pinch with a downtime on your Healthstone, just pop Dark Regeneration and only use one of your Embers and you will be at more than half of your health in no time.

While these Destruction abilities offer great support to a quick fight where you need to blow everyone up fast, this specialization lacks in providing a constant pressure to more than a 2v2 setting. 

Affliction is strong where Destruction is weak, this is apparent to anyone in the Warlock class. While Destruction can decimate your enemies in a short span of time, Affliction will chew up an enemy's health bar at a steady speed for the entire fight, granted your DoTs are up. 

Having three heavy DoTs like Unstable Affliction, Agony, and Corruption up at all times on an enemy is the highest pressure one can find of any class/spec in WoW. These are the staples of the Affliction specialization and it is obsolete without them. 

Survival tools in Affliction lie within your boost to healing received from Drain Life. I also  find Dark Regeneration to be the best Tier 1 talent for this class with the already boosted Drain Life effect, and less of a need for the Harvest Life talent. Of course Healthstones are useful to every Warlock spec. 

The Discussion

As someone who is a constant forum hunter, I find myself often looking up this question as my main is a Warlock. While my input can be helpful to some players, I am not anywhere near as good as other Warlocks out there.

Please leave your strategies/ideas about playing either one of these specs. All are welcome!

Edited by Phizzeledout

The poll on this page can only help so much. Leave your comments on how to be a better Warlock PvPer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Belfort

I am in a bit of a tight spot at the moment, I really struggle to understand/learn the current assassination spec. I know i'm doing something wrong, as reading on the forums ass is god-like, insane damage and shit. The thing is i get blown to pieces by quite a few classes. 1 stun and i'm gone. Outside evasion almost all melee classes are instant detonation. Maybe with the except of other rogues. 
      Take the DH,
      I get 100-0 in the AOE stun. It goes through evasion and cloak. I realize that it's a rock -paper- thingy but most of their damage seems unavoidable. Outside evasion i'm dead. I've tried everything, I can bring them down to 10-20% and "puff" they are back to 80% health. The evasion is used to survive the first 8 secs. If not popped i'll instantly die. 
      They seem to clear DOTS randomly, they have some kind of evasion so landing the full kidney-shot misses a lot. Their ranged attack hits 8-9 times harder than mine, so kiting their burst is impossible. Vanishing is impossible, as i can be spotted instantly and my stun DR's are already up.
      Almost all classes just use trinket on the cheap shot and they don't seemed to be "punished" for at all! there is no consequence like there used be.
      The stealth seems to break out of frekin nowhere, latency is now working to the laggers advantage, as in, unless i'm 1m ahead of the target my stuns wont landl, i just end up doing a stupid animation!

If we ignore the mandatory l2p, I would appreciate some advice!
      I played since vanilla and got my shoulders and all that, I know my way around a handful of classes. This expansions pvp “balance” or complete lack of, just seems odd. 
    • By Kathriana
      Guild Vengeance (Alonsus) is recruiting for hc/mythic raids in legion!
      We are a mature 18+ guild with a core team of experienced players. Atm we are raiding EN hc, our progress is 7/7 hc. We are ready to start on mythic and are currently looking for active and dedicated players to complete our raiding team. Our raiding days: wed, thus, mon 20-23 ST.
      What we expect from players: Have you char raid ready with appropriate raiding specs, enchants, gems and consumables, for a raiding rank to be able to attend at least 2-3 raids per week, be prepared with tactics and have at least some heroic raiding experience. Be mature and have positive raiding attitude.
      What we will provide: As a guild we have existed since TBC and we have cleared all raids on heroic and mythic difficulty in previous expansions. During our raids we make sure that we have solid tactics that is always adjusted to the group composition, we provide fast and effective problem solving if there are any issues occurring during the encounter. And most importantly we have a good and enjoyable raiding atmosphere, we make sure we progress, kill bosses and have fun at the same time!
      Who we are recruiting: Currently we are looking for Ranged DPS. Any other exceptional applicants might be considered.
      To Apply:
      For any questions:VR1#2581
    • By zett245
      Call of the Void is aiming to strengthen our roster. We are currently 7/7H and looking to dive into mythics as soon as possible. If you have the skill and drive to push progression, we're looking for you! We raid Tuesday-Thursday, 7-10 CST. Apply here
      Currently looking for ranged dps but are willing to trial some melee!
    • By Silvanis
      Immortal Icons(Stormrage) 2/7M, 7/7H
      We are seeking like minded competent players who want to join our Mythic progression team. We are a semi-hardcore guild.

Raid Times
      Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 10:00 pm - 1:00 am EST

We are specifically looking for a warlock and mage to fill out roster!

Respond here or whisper me @ Silvanis1876