FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jariyah

Frost Mage Low DPS Help

Hi all.  I am new to the mage (been playing it for four weeks) and know I'm doing something wrong.  My damage is well below the sims I've done on my toon and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.  The sims show me at 250k on a patchwerk style fight.  Of course, that doesn't really exist in the current tier, but it's a good starting place.  Anyway, I'm not anywhere near that and would love some advice. I've read just about everything I can find, including the guides here and am trying to follow them, but clearly I'm doing something wrong.  I'm also a little confused about what I should gem/enchant/reforge.  I have a few new things, which threw my last reforge off a bit, but I was orginally going for the 14,242 haste breakpoint and then mastery. Any help is much appreciated! 

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Ekanga/simple

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/hghv74olep03kvoj/ (I was 552 in these logs.  I picked up bracers and feet this week.)

Edited by Jariyah

Your reforge plot is fine, what do you think is wrong with that? :P

You have way too much hit. 0,3% of your crit could be reforged/gemmed into a more beneficial stat.

PoM is very bad talent for frost.

Looking at Malkorok logs:

First of all Lliya stole your water elemental, so you actually have higher DPS than it is displayed in the log.

Your living bomb uptime is 90%, that could easily be 100% even on Malkorok.

Invoker's energy uptime can be a little bit higher, although it is close to the "alright" border.

You had 40 Brain Freeze procs, but you only used 30 of them. This is a decent DPS loss.

You had 24 Fingers of Frost procs, but you casted Ice Lance 58 times!! This is a huge DPS loss. NEVER cast Ice Lance without FoF charge. I beliee this is due to your movement issues, and bad talent choice with PoM. When you have to move you essentially want to use Blink/Blazing Speed/Ice Flows. And moreover you could have used PoM one (or even more) times (with Alter time combo) during this fight.

Your second Alter Time was not used in conjuction with Icy veins which is again a huge DPS loss.

FYI: Gear is responsible for ~5% of your DPS. The rest depends on you. :)

PS.: I am really sorry for the delayed answer. NEw semester ant university started, things are crazy :)

Thanks for the help!  I'm a "career" shadow priest, so all of this is very different and new.  I used to help SPs and now I can't figure out my own problems! lol

I'll pick up blazing speed for next week.  I tried using it some in flexes and haven't figure out how to make it feel less clunky.  I'm used to just moving (last time I played seriously, priests didn't have a movement buff), not having to click a button, then move.

AT is scary.  I've been hyper focused on icd trackers trying not to overwrite anything.  I think I've been using it during the fight just to get it out of the way.  Just when you think your're safe, they call for lust and the shaman pops it!  Timewarp only people!! :P

How do you make sure to not miss brainfreeze procs?  They seem to be overriding each other faster than I can get them off.  I feel like I'm smashing that button as soon as the weakaura shows up, but apparently I'm missing a good chunk of them.  Is there some better way to do this or to anticipate them proccing?

Also, I'm wondering if I'm refreshing my bomb too frequently.  Is there any information you know of offhand that would help with this?  I tend to have my bomb as my highest source of damage on fights where other people are getting a lot more icicle damage.  Perhaps I'm not casting enough frostbolts?  

Thank you again!  Also, I'm never in a rush for answers.  I really appreciate that you all take time out of your day to answer noob questions like mine! *Cheers*

Try not clicking, but keybinding..? :P

You can use a /cancelaura Alter Time macro in that case. But assuming you pop it on pull, just wait it out.. AT should always be used in conjunction with IV.

Finish your recent cast and use it up ASAP. If you cannot keep up with the number of BFs ,then you are better to switch to a more mastery heavy build where you don't have to turn your head round and round for procs. If you have a mage bomb up, they will proc.. :D

Never refresh any bombs at more than 6seconds, and always refresh under that mark if you have an intellect/haste proc (that makes the bomb stronger, than the previous one). The mage bomb damage is normal with high haste build, while icicle will be higher with high mastery build (as it is explained in Akraens advanced frost mage guide in the forums :) )

I don't mean clicking them with a mouse. All of my spells are keybound, but you still have to hit a button to make them go! smile.png

Hmm, if only I could hook the computer directly to my brain...creepy thought, but would be awesome!

Edited by Jariyah

Try not clicking, but keybinding..? tongue.png

You can use a /cancelaura Alter Time macro in that case. But assuming you pop it on pull, just wait it out.. AT should always be used in conjunction with IV.

Finish your recent cast and use it up ASAP. If you cannot keep up with the number of BFs ,then you are better to switch to a more mastery heavy build where you don't have to turn your head round and round for procs. If you have a mage bomb up, they will proc.. biggrin.png

Never refresh any bombs at more than 6seconds, and always refresh under that mark if you have an intellect/haste proc (that makes the bomb stronger, than the previous one). The mage bomb damage is normal with high haste build, while icicle will be higher with high mastery build (as it is explained in Akraens advanced frost mage guide in the forums smile.png )

That's what I was thinking on both the bombs and icicles, but it's helpful to know I'm thinking about this correctly! 

I didn't realize you could over-proc brainfreezes.  I guess because I don't visually see them when they're overriding each other during haste buffs.  I will try to drop some haste.  No reason to get more procs than I can physically cast if I can get more icicle damage in trade.

Thanks again!

Edited by Jariyah

That's what I was thinking on both the bombs and icicles, but it's helpful to know I'm thinking about this correctly! 

I didn't realize you could over-proc brainfreezes.  I guess because I don't visually see them when they're overriding each other during haste buffs.  I will try to drop some haste.  No reason to get more procs than I can physically cast if I can get more icicle damage in trade.

Thanks again!

Akraen will hate for what I have suggested :\ But I firmly believe, if you have this kind of difficulty, that this has more gains than loss.

Meh you're not wrong. Wish I could get people to realize there's such a miniscule DPS difference between the easy way to play frost and the hard way.

Thank you again for your help!  I saw a 45k single-target damage increase this week and was generally performing right in the middle of my sim (part due to gear, but mostly due to changes in play).  You're the best, Oltier! <3

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for the compliment, but it is Akraen here who is the brain :) and I am the mouth :)

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for the compliment, but it is Akraen here who is the brain smile.png and I am the mouth smile.png

Oh is that how this works?

Oh the things I can do with this arrangement. Funny and horrible things.

• Like 1

Oh is that how this works?

Oh the things I can do with this arrangement. Funny and horrible things.

Keep your imagination between some borders!

• Like 1