FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Remiaphasia

Best counting meter to use with ElvUi? Also...

I'm wondering what are people's opinions on the best counting meter to use with ElvUI, Skada or Recount (or something else entirely)? My biggest concerns are a). how it looks b ). whether or not it will slow me down (I notice lag with ElvUI that ranges from lackluster to damn frustrating, given the situation. Should I also consider switching to something else?) and c). I'd like for DoTs/HoTs and procs to be broken down with the numbers.

Thoughts? I'm primarily a healer (shammy, pally, d.priest) but also do some arcane maging and destro locking on the side, should that affect your answers.

Edited by Remiaphasia

I prefer Skada over recount mostly because it offers a few more options to dig down into the numbers. My favorites are the ability to see who did dps to a specific add, or who took damage from a specific boss ability.

Hot's and Dots you'd be able to find out how many ticks you got, and how much healing/damage they did, but I don't know if Skada or Recount does any more than that.

As far as I know none of the damage meters track procs.

• Like 2

If you really want to get that detailed I recommend live logging so you can check data as soon as you can. I'm a huge fan of live logging because during breaks you can delve into the data and find the issue with the boss you're on.

I've used both Skada and Recount and I prefer Recount because I like the pie charts so much. Also I find it a bit easier to find the information I want.

Skada is nice for the ability to display dps and hps, at the same time, but you really don't need that except for shouting at people in LFR... Which I don't recommend, btw.

Regarding looks, they are basically the same, when used with ElvUI, since you can skin them to match automatically. I don't think there is any difference in performance or lag either.

If you really want to get that detailed I recommend live logging so you can check data as soon as you can. I'm a huge fan of live logging because during breaks you can delve into the data and find the issue with the boss you're on.

Never heard of it, is that difficult to do?

I've used both Skada and Recount and I prefer Recount because I like the pie charts so much. Also I find it a bit easier to find the information I want.

Skada is nice for the ability to display dps and hps, at the same time, but you really don't need that except for shouting at people in LFR... Which I don't recommend, btw.

Regarding looks, they are basically the same, when used with ElvUI, since you can skin them to match automatically. I don't think there is any difference in performance or lag either.

Oh trust me, I don't yell at anyone in lfr (I'm asking these questions because I want to be yelled at less in lfr). I think I might go with Skada. I'm told it's slightly more difficult to use, but more lightweight than Recount. I've used recount before and was absolutely paralyzed with lag, so now I'm hesistant about it.

Thanks!

To live log you just have to go to http://worldoflogs.com/ or http://www.warcraftlogs.com/.

World of Logs

You'll need to Sign Up first, and activate your account. Just follow their instructions, the buttons will be on the top right of the window. After you've done this, sign into the account you activated.

Next, you have to create your own guild by clicking the orange create button near the same location you used to sign in. If you're doing this for your guild's raid then you can name it after your guild, if not I recommend naming it <Name>'s Personal Logs. Warcraftlogs creates this for you, so you can log straight into that. A public log is for everyone to see, a private log is for anyone with the link (it might actually be for anyone registered to the WoL guild with a WoL account, instead of just having the link).

Since it's likely your first time logging, type in WoW:

/combatlog 

Once you've done this it will create the file WoWCombatLog.txt in your WoW\Logs\ Directory on your computer. I recommend typing this again to stop logging for now, since you're just getting set up. You'll need to type that same code before every raid, and at the end of those raids. If you disconnect when logging, you will have to retype the code and the fight that you are currently in the middle of will count as a wipe (or not show up).

You'll have to download their client now, so that you can upload logs. Once you've downloaded it, click Edit at the top right to input your info (or it will pop up for you, I honestly don't remember what happened the first time I used it). Once you've put your information in, and found the logs file for it's directory you can begin logging.

When you want to log a raid of any difficulty, you can now just type /combatlog, open up the client, and click Start a Live Report Session. As I said before, when you're done logging just type it again or log out and it will stop. If you DC, or want to start up again you have to type the /combatlog. I recommend leaving it on for a whole raid instead of turning it off between fights. You'll also want to delete your log file in the WoW\Logs\ Directory so that the file doesn't get too large. If it does, you won't be able to open it anymore.

For analyzing your logs, you can look at Zagam's guide to World of Logs here: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1007-world-of-logs-a-comprehensive-guide/

WarcraftLogs

You'll need to sign up and activate your account. The email for this might fall into the junk folder, but it should send instantly. Once you've done that, you'll be given your own personal logging guild instantly. If you want to make a Guild for your raid team, then you can go to Create Guild and name it after your guild.

Since it's likely your first time logging, type in WoW:

/combatlog

Once you've done this it will create the file WoWCombatLog.txt in your WoW\Logs\ Directory on your computer. I recommend typing this again to stop logging for now, since you're just getting set up. You'll need to type that same code before every raid, and at the end of those raids. If you disconnect when logging, you will have to retype the code and the fight that you are currently in the middle of will count as a wipe (or not show up).

Now that you have the place you want to log to, you'll want to click Download the Client in the top right corner. As it says, you need Adobe AIR, and then to download their file after AIR has been installed.

Once you run the client, sign in and fill in the data. Select where you're logging, put in the information that it wants etc etc. Then when you get to the bottom two, skip the first one and click browse for "Start a Live Logging Session". Once you've done that, you can find your WoWCombatLog file in the WorldofWarcraft\Logs\ folder. Click start and you should be logging away!

When you want to log a raid of any difficulty, you can now just type /combatlog, open up the client, and click Start beside the Start a Live Logging Session. As I said before, when you're done logging just type it again or log out and it will stop. If you DC, or want to start up again you have to type the /combatlog. I recommend leaving it on for a whole raid instead of turning it off between fights. You'll also want to delete your log file in the WoW\Logs\ Directory so that the file doesn't get too large. If it does, you won't be able to open it anymore.

For analyzing your logs, you can look at Zagam's guide to World of Logs here: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/4392-warcraftlogs-a-comprehensive-guide/

I'm not sure Recount necessarily is that resource heavy that it would cause terrible lag. It could be some other add on that is causing your lag.

I'm not sure Recount necessarily is that resource heavy that it would cause terrible lag. It could be some other add on that is causing your lag.

At the time I was still using the default UI and no other addons, so it was most certainly Recount. Nothing else has given me issues though since then (ElvUI, Arcanometer, various questing addons, et cetera). My experience with it may not be the same as others, so YMMV.

Edit: Thanks Fouton!

Edited by Remiaphasia

No problem =) If recount is giving you lag, logging might as well. Hopefully you don't have any issues.

With skada, you can use 2 windows, while recont only allows you to use one.  Its mostly an aesthetic thing though.

You can also embed it into the Chat window.

sN5k66l.png

• Like 1