FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
StormDagger

25 and 0 (and counting) in casual play...

Built this Mage deck entirely from basic cards except for 2 commons.  I have been on the longest win streak since I started playing.  Though I'd share it and get some feedback.  Thanks.

2 Arcane Missiles

2 Mirror Image

2 Frostbolt

2 Bluegill Warrior

2 Kobold Geomancer

2 Novice Engineer

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 Arcane Intelect

2 Dalaran Mage

2 Wolfrider

2 Fireball

2 Polymorph

2 Gnomish Inventor

2 Reckless Rocketeer

2 Flamestrike

Notes:

1) Knowing when to use your spells for minion removal or going directly to the dome is key. 

2) I play all the minions w/charge as if they were direct damage spells. 

3) Knowing which minions in a particular deck need to be 'morphed is very very important.

4) Lots of great card interactions and cool little tricks.  The Mage's Hero Power lends itself well to pumping up your minion removal. 

5) Most games are over by turn 7 but I have had a few go to death by discard. 

• Like 1

Since last night I've made a couple of adjustments.  After a long string of wins I had some bad losses where I found a couple of minor flaws with the deck. 

I replaced the Dalaran mage with the Gadgetzan Auctioneer for more late game card drawing.  While the Auctioneer is 1 more mana it provides beefier damage and helps replenish my hand in longer games.

I also replaced Mirror Image with Arcane Explosion to better handle early rushes.  While  Mirror does slow down a rush it does not stop it.  Additionally late game Explosion can buff other minion removal where the Mirror's are essentially dead cards.  I'd consider Cone of Cold in this slot but, unfortunately, I don't have any to test them out.

So the new deck list...

2 Arcane Missiles

2 Arcane Explosion

2 Frostbolt

2 Bluegill Warrior

2 Kobold Geomancer

2 Novice Engineer

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 Arcane Intelect

2 Gadgetzan Auctioneer

2 Wolfrider

2 Fireball

2 Polymorph

2 Gnomish Inventor

2 Reckless Rocketeer

2 Flamestrike

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Thoughts?

Hey, StormDagger!

Most Hearthstone players simply copy a deck and mindlessly head into play mode. The deck eventually stops performing at a certain level or meta game and they simply copy another deck. Your approach is far greater as you will develop the right mentality for the game and deck construction. Stick to it!

I would suggest going Play Mode over Casual as soon as possible - your results will get much more accurate than in casual mode and you will be getting gold for your wins. (You can get 100g per day)

About the deck, since you slowly started including expert cards in it, I assume you will be further doing so and eventually try to bring your deck in the Play Mode.At the moment, your deck doesn't require some advanced game plan - you have an answer to most threats in any stage of the game and when "shit hits the fan" you have your Flamestrike. As you progress into Play Mode, you will discover the importance of having a strong game plan and you might need to make a choice whether you wish to pursue control or aggressive nature of your deck.

Cards that I've marked pink will fit into any mage you build, regardless of its tempo.

Cards that I've marked red are leaning towards aggressive mage game play.

Cards that I've marked cyan(blue) are leaning towards control mage game play.

2 Arcane Missiles

2 Arcane Explosion

2 Frostbolt

2 Bluegill Warrior

2 Kobold Geomancer

2 Novice Engineer

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 Arcane Intelect

2 Wolfrider

2 Fireball

2 Polymorph

2 Gnomish Inventor

2 Gadgetzan Auctioneer

2 Reckless Rocketeer

2 Flamestrike

I suggest that you decide about your game plan as fast as possible and start trimming the cards towards the desired tempo. Personally, I would go for an aggressive mage as it will always be much cheaper than control and if you decide to craft any cards for it, they are likely to be usable in other aggressive decks as well.

Cone of Cold can be decent, however in your deck it will only further slow it down, keeping Arcane Explosion is a better choice for now. (If you were running Frost Nova, Blizzard and Doomsayer, Cone of Cold would fit right in)

Have fun! smile.png

Thanks Poyo, input appreciated.  I have been gathering cards and made a few changes which have definitely increased the deck's effectiveness.  BTW I was playing in casual mode and got 27 wins in a row w/the original deck list.  I don't bother w/Practice anymore as it's just too easy (even on expert mode).

Here's what I'm playing now:

2 Arcane Missiles

2 Frostbolt

2 Bluegill Warrior

2 Mana Wyrm (replaced 'Geomancer)

2 Novice Engineer

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 Arcane Intelect

2 Sen'Jin Shieldmasta (replaced 'Auctioneer)

2 Wolfrider

2 Fireball

2 Polymorph

2 Gnomish Inventor

2 Blizzard (replaced 'Explosion)

2 Reckless Rocketeer

2 Flamestrike

I'm going to swap out the Gnomish Inventors for Azure Drakes as soon as I get 2 'Drakes.  Depending on the draw (and my opponent) I can play very aggressively or work for board control.  I can't stress enough that the minions w/Charge are played as direct damage spells. 

Favorite aggressive opening play...turn 1 Mana Wyrm, turn 2 Coin-'Apprentice-Arcane Missiles-Frost Bolt-attack with 4/3 Wyrm for a total of 10 damage on the 2nd turn...woot!

Edited by StormDagger

I've been having alot of fun changing cards in and out...here's what I'm currently playing:

2 Arcane Missiles...good early damage (or late if you've cleared the board) and somewhat chancy minion removal

2 Mirror Image...great stall card

2 Leper Gnome...guaranteed 2 dam, great 1st round play

2 Mana Wyrm...great coin play w/'Image on the 1st round

2 Frostbolt...good minion removal, good stall card and can go to the dome to seal the win

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice...good round 2 beatdown minion w/a very good effect (great 1st round w/coin and 'Missiles or 'Image)

2 Arcane Intelect...card draw when you need it

2 Raging Worgen...a minion you can enrage yourself, awesome

2 Fireball...great minion removal or to the dome to seal the win

2 Polymorph...when there's just no other way to get rid of a minion this will do it

2 Ogre Magi...a good 4/4 body at 4 mana and buffs your spells to boot

2 Gurubashi Berserker...you can buff him yourself (and tends to stall low damage board sweepers)

2 Blizzard...I actually like this better than Flamestrike

2 Arcane Mage...a 4/7 that buffs your damage spells, just awesome

2 Flamestrike...clears the board just when you need it

I'm still waiting on 'Drakes to give them a try but I've moved away from the hyper-aggressive build w/the Charge minions.  Not that the original build doesn't win games but I'm finding as I get better opponents that they not only have decks built to deal with that type of play they know how to best play against it.  This current build has a good early game, can stall the mid-game and can finish late. 

Edited by StormDagger

Your deck basically looks like a more slow and steady version of my Mage deck (which is a good decision for anyone lacking Pyroblasts).  Drakes are absolutely fantastic and I highly recommend replacing the Archmages with them when you can.  You seem to have a good handle on the standard dirty tricks mages can pull off, but my absolute favorite fact about what you have is how strong it looks given its minimal "dust footprint".

I feel like 2 Blizzards and 2 Flamestrikes might be overkill, though.  Especially with 4 sources of +Spell Damage.  Arcane Explosion is murder against the currently popular Hunter deck, and not bad against Murlocs since the nerf to Blood Imp.  What sorts of decks give you trouble?

Hey Spark, thanks for the reply.

I played around with several versions going back and forth between control and aggro.  I was having a hard time with mid to late game as the minions would start to get out of my burn range and I couldn't seem to sustain an early game rush.  So I went back to the drawing board.

Here's my current deck list (and my favorite so far):

2 Arcane Missiles...good early damage (or late if you've cleared the board) and somewhat chancy minion removal

2 Mirror Image...great stall card

2 Mana Wyrm...great coin play w/'Image on the 1st round

2 Frostbolt...good minion removal, good stall card and can go to the dome to seal the win

2 Sorcerer's Apprentice...good round 2 beatdown minion w/a very good effect (great 1st round w/coin and 'Missiles or 'Image)

2 Kobold Geomancer...pumps your damage spells and a 2/2 body

2 Arcane Intelect...card draw when you need it

2 Dalaran mage...pumps your damage spells, the 1/4 body is meh though

2 Fireball...great minion removal or to the dome to seal the win

2 Polymorph...when there's just no other way to get rid of a minion this will do it

2 Ogre Magi...a good 4/4 body at 4 mana and buffs your spells to boot

2 Water Elemental...solid 3/6 beat down minion w/a great freeze effect

2 Blizzard...I actually like this better than Flamestrike

2 Boulderfist Ogre...great 6/7 finisher

2 Flamestrike...clears the board just when you need it

This deck has a great mana curve and both early control with mid to late game beat down.  It can go from board control to quick burn to beat down depending on the draw and your opponent. 

Some game highlights; Had 2 Ogres and a Dalaran in play, dropped a Geomancer and Fireballed for 10 to end the game.  Mana Wyrm turn 1 followed by an Apprentice, Mirror, Missiles, Coin and Frostbolt turn 2 (11 damage...pow!).  Multiple times I've done 4 point Blizzards and 6 point Flamestrikes. 

I just play the cards I have.  I play Arena once in a while and buy a couple of packs every now and then.  I have made a few cards from the dust I got from extras but I haven't spent any money on this game as of yet.  I just started playing on ranked and this deck is by far my best performer.

That looks pretty solid!  The meta has shifted to be a bit more balanced than it was when I posted previously, so the 4x board clears is less overkill than it was before.  For a deck without Pyroblast, though, it's more useful since you actually need to retain control of the game at the end there, as opposed to shifting into "and in the next 2 turns I burn out your remaining life, ignoring my own".

I love the mana curve, too.  Still might be nice to squeeze in Azure Drakes if you can, probably replacing the Ogre Magi to ease the 4-mana spot.  The extra cost won't hurt since you already have so many 4-costs, but the extra card really helps.

Still, this is a very strong deck, especially considering its dust footprint.  Well done, and happy hearthstoning!