FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
hobblock

any hints and tips please

Ok , first off, thanks to everyone for the tricks and tips in other posts :)

I Recently switched from spriest to disc to fill a core healer role, This was my first week healing as disc and still need a few gear pieces desperately.  We one shot everything on N10 man , up to thok, then one shot seigecrafter.  I don't feel I underperformed, But know theres a lot of room for improvement.  Which is why im here,  If anyone could look into the logs from last night , which for the life of me I cannot get to link :( and see anything at all to improve upon , please say so.  My toons name is Pawjob, uldaman server, and logs are under Xeno's random logs on worldoflogs.com 

Worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ld1izmbqyzi7iy9g

Like I said I cannot get them to link, Hoping for any help or tips , also, First time tonight healing paragons, and garrosh , so anything to know ??? please and ty :)

Sorry you didn't get any answer back earlier to help ya for tonight but looking over your logs here are some things I can see you can change quickly.

Get some kind of tracking tool, ie Weak Aura, for tracking your Arch Angel, Spirit Shell, and Prayer of Mending. On almost all your fights, you are under using Spirit Shell and Prayer of Mending. PoM can be used on CD on the Tank and SS will be your go to spell for preventative healing. The one defense that has to be brought up is that you said it was your first week, and SS is something that gets better as your familiarity with the fight increases. BUT, you still need to use it more often, even if you don't know when it's ideal to use it.

As a preference I like to use Penance more as an offensive spell where you are using it 80% on the tanks for Grace. Unless you are having Tank issues, I'd recommend making the switch.

On Nazgrim, you only used your L90 talent a handful of times, and only procced Warsong from General 2x. If that is normal and you cant find a way to work in your L90 better, just take Halo as a pickme up right after Warsong goes off. Other than that, your L90 choice and usage was decent on most fights. The last exception would be Norushen, it shouldve been used a lot more, or even on CD for that fight.

Thok, you only had 20 PoM bounces! Keep it up more.

Last thing, which isnt wrong.. but it is becoming more and more common place is to be using AA on CD. At a glance, over half the time you are using it for Increased Dmg phases. Originally that was the practice and your uptime coincides with that at about 20-30% per fight. Using it on CD especially since you already have 2pc, you should shoot to keep the uptime at 60%, better if you can. Even if you can get it over 50%, thats over half the fight w/ a 10% increase to your crit and increase spellpower.. yum!!

GL tonight w/ Paragons and Garrosh. You'll want DS L90 for Garrosh and DS or Cascade for Paragons. Make sure you are IF/SS/PoH everyone 15sec before Aim goes out. And add shield slam to your UI so you can keep an eye on the tank when it goes off. Garrosh its common practice to SS and pws prior to the Iron Star crashing, and again in the Annihilate phase.

Just wanted to get this down quick to you incase you started later. Hope it helps.

Edited by Gwenymph
  • Like 3

hello again , Well sorry for not replying sooner.  As far as the night went , we one shot paragons, and got garrosh after about 65 wipes total yay :).  I have made a weak aura to better track AA and PoM now.  we'll see how it all works out after this week, unfortunately wont be raiding ten man this week, due to fri being V-day.  maybe a quick clear sat for some ppls gear.  All the tips were great , and I know I still have tons of room to improve.  Gotta remember 90 talents more often and AA on CD for the most part.  TY guys again for the tips and I will make sure to let u guys know how it all works out

Congratulations on the kills.  The best V-Day present a lady can ask for is more SoO gear!  At least that's what my GM tells me

I know I replied in the Disc SoO thread originally Brutal but I didn't realize that you posted your logs here.  The biggest thing, of the long winded answer in the other thread, that I can see from your Thok pulls is your Inner Focus usage, use it on CD for you're own personal HoP.  Negating as many extra interrupts as you can and squeezing in more PoH/SS with the IF goes a long way. And I see you have 2 pallies, beat up your other healers for a HoP!

GL

• Like 1

I"m a bit iffy about hijacking the thread, but whatever, OP seems to have left.

Heroic Thok...  My current strategy is basically, once the pain starts rolling (boss's shout at minimum CD) my rotation is usually: (shout)-shield, instant cast, (shout)-PoH.  (shout)Shield, instant cast, (shout)-PoH.  It's pretty difficult to get the timing right, but you cast casting a few miliseconds before the shout hits you and you can finish it just before these second cast due to borrowed time.  I actually had to up my haste a little bit to make it possible, but I believe it's the optimum way to play.

Normally I save inner focus for 11, and SS at the same time, so I get 2 SS-PoH and then pally Dev's at 13 so I get 2 more SS-PoH, allowing me to get the most out of my spirit shell.  Before and after that I use my afforementioned rotation. 

The reason my healing is **** is because I don't have my rotation well polished yet.  I'm probably going to add another 500 haste before my next Thok night and see how that does me. 

I know a lot of priests spam Shield.  I know that.  But it seems like a good way to go OOM halfway through the fight and I really think this way is better.

Double hijack!

Well, kinda related. Does someone know the exact amount of time between Thok's casts as he reaches full speed?

I"m a bit iffy about hijacking the thread, but whatever, OP seems to have left.

Heroic Thok...  My current strategy is basically, once the pain starts rolling (boss's shout at minimum CD) my rotation is usually: (shout)-shield, instant cast, (shout)-PoH.  (shout)Shield, instant cast, (shout)-PoH.  It's pretty difficult to get the timing right, but you cast casting a few miliseconds before the shout hits you and you can finish it just before these second cast due to borrowed time.  I actually had to up my haste a little bit to make it possible, but I believe it's the optimum way to play.

Normally I save inner focus for 11, and SS at the same time, so I get 2 SS-PoH and then pally Dev's at 13 so I get 2 more SS-PoH, allowing me to get the most out of my spirit shell.  Before and after that I use my afforementioned rotation. 

The reason my healing is **** is because I don't have my rotation well polished yet.  I'm probably going to add another 500 haste before my next Thok night and see how that does me. 

I know a lot of priests spam Shield.  I know that.  But it seems like a good way to go OOM halfway through the fight and I really think this way is better.

The intermission between phases is plenty time to regain your mana and allow for some extra PWS if the kiters do not fail. I disagree w/ more haste if you already know you can get a Borrowed Time PoH off between interrupts then you are set.  But if you are suggesting that the 500 more haste will allow you a ever so small cushion of error for BT/PoH,then have at it. It sounds like that aspect of your approach to this fight would benefit w/ that little error correction time if you are still experiencing interrupts using your posted rotation.

On your 3 best attempts you are dying when the bats are out.  To get you past that and work on other parts of the fight have a Pally HoP a CD, like Tranq or something.  Using both Devo's on P1 is still preferable over saving one to get the bats down, but should be used as soon as it is of CD.  There has to be another raid CD to be used for bats that can help push you past this point. 

The other thing causing issues is the Corrosive Blood going out during this time.  Again using your three best pulls, there were only 4, 6, and 7 dispels.  Consequences of the debuff were  (application/ticks)  32/40, 26/89, 15/23.  You topped the dispels list but you are going to need help from your guildies here.  I forget your exact make up already, but maybe have a Druid Symbiosis Mass Dispel after/before they Tranq for bats to help clear the debuffs. Single dispels should be going off and you can Mass Dispel once there are 5 or more out.

As far as a little more priesty help.  Your average uptime of PoM on those three pulls was only 38%. Keep it off CD, maybe add it to your aforementioned rotation.  And (not trying to beat a dead horse, but I know that it will help) you need to get more use out of your IF and/or SS.  The first application I can get on board w/ at 11 and overlapping into Devo for full SS blanketing.  If the Devo is going to continuosly be at 52-55sec range, you might want to consider precasting IF/SS at 6-7prepull countdown or wherever the sweetspot ends up being for it being off CD at stack 11.  I digress, that is not where the issues lies but it is worth some thought.  The issue is second stack phase.  Not just on your best pulls but all pulls you are only using IF/SS once.  Even if there is no Devo for the bats, as mentioned earlier with the offsetting CD timer, use IF SS and get two PoH off on the group that has your tanks, or one on each group if that is your preference.  Having two stacks of SS up as the bats come down and Corrosive Blood is out will give you a large cushion that you are leaving on the table when they wipe you.  The other instance SS will be up is during Kite phase.  In this instance your melee will either be on the jailor and taking AoE dmg, use IF/SS on them there or if jailer is dead when it comes off CD from stack 11, the range will be w/i range of each other hit them with IF/SS.  Again, if kited properly your abilities will be coming off CD again in time to apply it for bats.

GL next lockout.  I look forward to seeing a log from you that includes some Gorai action!

Edited by Gwenymph

Yeah the haste is just for the extra breathing room if I don't perfectly time my PoH. 

I'm not sure I should be SSing during first run around phase, the damage is fairly negligable during that phase, and I need the mana.  I'll remember the suggestion on 2nd, 3rd, 4th though. 

The dispel situation is a little weird.  Basically I'm the only one that is supposed to do it in p1, and once there's so much I'm supposed to mass dispell.  I'm really not happy with it because my mana is suffering enough as it is, but I think I can get around the issue a little bit by by casting mass dispell on legendary metagem proc instead, or if the stacks get too high.  Either way it's something I need to work on, and we've only been in that phase a ltitle bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I do this week too, if our tank isn't still down with the flu =P  I'll definately post here if we do fight him though.

• Like 1

The dispel situation is a little weird.  Basically I'm the only one that is supposed to do it in p1, and once there's so much I'm supposed to mass dispell.  I'm really not happy with it because my mana is suffering enough as it is,

Wow, I'm not happy for you!  Not when your make-up offers other options.

"Go to hell, I won't solo dispel!  Go to hell, I won't solo dispel!"

@Brutal: Ok back to the Rapture tracking.  Of course this is a playstyle change (way late in the xpac) but you are one of only 2 in the last 4 months on these forums to defend this antiquated strategy. 

Last time we just compared Thok strats, I didnt pay much attention to your other pulls.  This time I looked at your last 7 kills.  You are no doubt masterful at this strat and are maximizing PWS w/ Lucidity.  Every kill, where PWS is applicable, you have 100% PWS casts and over a 90% rapture proc rate.  IMO, that is perfect application of this type of approach of Rapure and LMG.

Only 4 of the 7 kills even resulted in you casting PWS outside of Lucidity and Rapture was not procced.  The other 3 you used PWS outside of Lucidity but procced Rapture 100%.  I cant stress enough that this is not in anyway an attack on your play, again you could write a defense paper of this method and post Resource and Buff graphs directly from your WoL kills.  The downside to this, which has caused almost everyone to change their thought and usage, is that even on those three fights where you procced 100% Rapture on PWS cast outside of Lucidity you ended up missing between 30 and 37 Rapture procs.  That is a lot of free PWS left on the table. On the 4 kills where your PWS were not proccing Rapture 100% you missed 25-33 Rapture procs.  You obviously missed less when you are casting PWS more while not worried about getting a Rapture return.

Initially I tried using my fights w/ similar duration as a comparison but I run w/ another Disc Priest and missed 3-6 Procs on some fights where only one tank is proccing it for us.  Even though I'm not maximizing, my misses are approx 28 through the same 7 fights where yours are over double that.  My Rapture return total is 300K more.  Combining the attention to detail you put on your LMG WA with a Rapture tracker would not doubt offer you more PWS coverage to a Tank, Soaker, etc. You would gain this coverage at the cost of less mana than you currently lose on fights where you are not Proccing Rapture outside of Lucidity.  Using the same accuracy as you displayed on the other 3 fights, you would gain another 5 PWS per fight compared to my equivilent kills at the net cost of 0 mana.  I do not have the same accuracy and combined w/ the fact that I have another Disc w/ me I have no doubt you will get more than 5.

I really hope we can agree that more free PWS is a step in the right direction.  You will still be netting positive mana returns when rapture procs from a PWS cast while under Lucidity.  It's just they will no longer line up 90%+ of the time like they do now for you.  The worst case scenario will be Rapture will not proc during Lucidity because of ICD and it just allows more free PWS on top of the ones you will have added by tracking the Rapture Procs.  Getting that one positive mana Rapture 7 times a fight does not mean you should give up the others at 0 mana you are putting off by waiting.

Come join the Dark Side of Rapture abusers!  We are almost all over here now, and still enjoy the benefits of Lucidity abuse, just now it will be w/ a net return of mana of less than 13,000 average per proc. that you are used to.

Edited by Gwenymph
  • Like 2

Ha ha.  I have a thicker skin than that, I love debating and theorycrafting any aspect of gameplay.

But you make a very convincing argument.  I'll give it a shot Monday. 

Is Ingela's rapture a good addon for it?

Ha ha.  I have a thicker skin than that, I love debating and theorycrafting any aspect of gameplay.

But you make a very convincing argument.  I'll give it a shot Monday. 

Is Ingela's rapture a good addon for it?

Ya, I use Ingela's for it and moved the bar over my toon's head. lol

Logs for the night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/qffvk0rityjmwnmu/

We sat on Thok all night.  Didn't get a kill, though we did manage a 2% wipe. 

I would still appreciate input =P  I'm almost always last in the HPS charts and I would like to not be.

I started using shield when rapture comes off cooldown.  Also, mana turned out to not be a big issue on this fight, much to my surprise.

I wasn't getting interupted quite as often as I was.  Still got hit with it too often for me to be satisfied with my performance hwoever. 

Logs for the night: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/qffvk0rityjmwnmu/

We sat on Thok all night.  Didn't get a kill, though we did manage a 2% wipe. 

I would still appreciate input =P  I'm almost always last in the HPS charts and I would like to not be.

I started using shield when rapture comes off cooldown.  Also, mana turned out to not be a big issue on this fight, much to my surprise.

I wasn't getting interupted quite as often as I was.  Still got hit with it too often for me to be satisfied with my performance hwoever. 

Great news on the mana situation, I'm stoked to hear that. Looked over the longest attempts and at this point, you have the kill method down.  2% wipe.. ugh, heartbreaker.  I see you bumped up the IF/SS to three times per pull on 6+min attempts.  You can still fit in 2more.  Even if you only use it for the free mana/free DA PoH's I'd still recommend working IF into your attempts twice more where it wont effect where you are comfortable using it now.  PoM uptime is still Under 50%, That is a lot of HPS loss.  Keep it up 100% or as close as you can as possible.  Ultimately the largest loss of HPS, after some searching around other 10HM logs, is Divine Star and consequently the DA associated w/ it.  Your average Crit on DS is 43% but DS itself is only making up, on average of the best pulls less than 8%!  With such a short CD and with your high crit rate spread out over 10 targets hit per cast you have to get more than 10 off per pull.  Other 10HM logs DS is the number two heal on kills w/ over 28% total healing done, only behind DA.  Not to forget that it will also give you 43% of that as DA w/ 0 Overheal.  Work it in almost on CD.  Using it 10x per pull when it can be used at min 3+ time per minute is too little and will boost your HPS a lot.  Easily over taking the Pally Healer.  Even rounding down.. if you hit 8 out of 10 targets, at the lowest amount of 35k plus the 43% DA @ no overheal; you'd be looking at over 400k cast on a 15sec CD for 3 stack phaes would increase your HPS by over 30K.  Then you'd just subtract the one GCD per 15sec that you'd lose or postpone by replacing it with DS and it will still put you well above the pally and right on the mark of the druid.  Not to mention the extra DA's will help the dps keep a higher enhanced hitpoint total and a little bit of DPS on Thok when it hits him as well.

No doubt you'll get it next time in... and no doubt that you'll smoke the pally with 3+DS per min and double your PoM uptime. Reminder that DS doesnt get locked out when your other spells do.

GL and great progress

Edited by Gwenymph

Thanks I'll work that in, DS. 

Using SS twice per phase 1 huh?  I think I'd have to use it really early on to be able to do that.  I'll give it a shot though.

Looking forward to tonight.  Cleared all the way up to Thok today and I can feel it, he's going down.

I wasnt suggesting you change your healing strat with the extra IF/SS because I think a kill is eminent.  Although i do use IF/SS twice per stack phase I was just saying to stay w/ your comfort area of one IF/SS per stack phase and just use it for the free casts/SS anytime before or after where you are using them now.  Without opening the Logs again I think you were going 4 minutes between using it in some cases.  IF/SS still has its place during Kite phases even if you only want to use PoH 2x to conserve mana.

I also recall that you had 2 really good stacks where you got up to 27, IF can definitely be used twice if you can push them that high consistently but I'm really hesitant for you to change anything but DS on stacked phases when he is so close to falling over.

• Like 2

Killed Thok!  I'm sitting for siegecrafter though, it's only a 2-heal fight.  Once logs get posted we can overanalize my performance =P

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/283094/ eventually.

Overanalize!  Made me laugh.  Nah I won't look past the Healing page to see you on top.  Grats.

Edit: Did your guild post a kill vid?

Edited by Gwenymph
  • Like 2