FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
FubsyGamer

[Mage] Spell rotation while questing/Best spec if duoing/Keybinding help for returning player

Hey guys,

I just got back into the game after quitting just after Cataclysm was released. I'm so overwhelmed! I've been playing LoL since then, and I'm used to only having 4 spells.

So anywho, I'm just not sure of a lot of things, and I can't remember how I used to do things. First of all, I'll be doing 90% of my questing with my buddy who's Monk is the exact same level as me. We did about 2 hours last night, and I was frost spec, and we were going through pretty quick. Just wondering, seeing as we'll be duoing the rest of the time, would Arcane or Fire be faster than Frost for clearing mobs? I'm just looking for whatever spec will let me kill stuff the fastest, if I don't have to worry too much about surviving.

Secondly, what does your rotation look like, when you are burning down mobs? I saw this guide:

but some of it doesn't feel 100% right. For example, is it worth casting 'frost bomb' on these mobs? Or should I just be spamming Frostbolt and Ice Lance (when it procs)?

Also, can my Frostbolt ever proc my Brain Freeze? I'm still kind of confused about that spell. Do I keep Arcane Int and Frost Armor up?

Third, what do your keybindings and action bars look like? I have so many spells, I find myself running out of room incredibly fast. Even using Shift modifiers, I'm just having a hard time prioritizing which spells to cast. I'm not sure which AoE spells I should be prioritizing, if I need to have  all of them keybound, or if I can skip a few? If I'm Frost, do I need to have Fireball, Fireblast, etc, keybound? Or what if I spec into a different role?

I would appreciate a few screenshots or key-by-key setups from some people, just so I can get a few ideas.

Thanks so much guys! :)

Nether Tempest for leveling - frost is the best spec by leaps and bounds (as much as I love frost, I see this as a problem-- it's far too good at low levels/ilvls).

Since you're with a buddy, get greater invis too-- it'll do wonders for your survival.

Hey guys,

I just got back into the game after quitting just after Cataclysm was released. I'm so overwhelmed! I've been playing LoL since then, and I'm used to only having 4 spells.

So anywho, I'm just not sure of a lot of things, and I can't remember how I used to do things. First of all, I'll be doing 90% of my questing with my buddy who's Monk is the exact same level as me. We did about 2 hours last night, and I was frost spec, and we were going through pretty quick. Just wondering, seeing as we'll be duoing the rest of the time, would Arcane or Fire be faster than Frost for clearing mobs? I'm just looking for whatever spec will let me kill stuff the fastest, if I don't have to worry too much about surviving.

Secondly, what does your rotation look like, when you are burning down mobs? I saw this guide:

but some of it doesn't feel 100% right. For example, is it worth casting 'frost bomb' on these mobs? Or should I just be spamming Frostbolt and Ice Lance (when it procs)?

Also, can my Frostbolt ever proc my Brain Freeze? I'm still kind of confused about that spell. Do I keep Arcane Int and Frost Armor up?

Third, what do your keybindings and action bars look like? I have so many spells, I find myself running out of room incredibly fast. Even using Shift modifiers, I'm just having a hard time prioritizing which spells to cast. I'm not sure which AoE spells I should be prioritizing, if I need to have  all of them keybound, or if I can skip a few? If I'm Frost, do I need to have Fireball, Fireblast, etc, keybound? Or what if I spec into a different role?

I would appreciate a few screenshots or key-by-key setups from some people, just so I can get a few ideas.

Thanks so much guys! smile.png

No, Frost is definitely the best spec even when douing with the benefit of staying alive even if the monk dies to someone.

Now that you pointed out, I realize that the rotation is not based on priority. This is due to my laziness and copy&paste skills. I will definitely update it when I get time for it. Frostbomb is definitely worth applying because it is only your mage bombs (Frost bomb on explosion, Living bomb or Nether Tempest have chance on every tick) that can trigger Brain Freeze.

Could you elaborate more about what you don't feel right about the rotation?

Yes, you do keep Frost armor and Arcane int up.

Bind spells to 1,2,3,4,5..etc... f1,f2,f3... etc... And to buttons that are near to WASD. Like: E, D, X, C, V,F, G, R, T etcetc.

You only need the spells bind that you will use and that are included in our guides' rotations that you can look up yourself.

Screenshot: av4d.jpg

No, Frost is definitely the best spec even when douing with the benefit of staying alive even if the monk dies to someone.

Now that you pointed out, I realize that the rotation is not based on priority. This is due to my laziness and copy&paste skills. I will definitely update it when I get time for it. Frostbomb is definitely worth applying because it is only your mage bombs (Frost bomb on explosion, Living bomb or Nether Tempest have chance on every tick) that can trigger Brain Freeze.

Could you elaborate more about what you don't feel right about the rotation?

Yes, you do keep Frost armor and Arcane int up.

Bind spells to 1,2,3,4,5..etc... f1,f2,f3... etc... And to buttons that are near to WASD. Like: E, D, X, C, V,F, G, R, T etcetc.

You only need the spells bind that you will use and that are included in our guides' rotations that you can look up yourself.

Screenshot: av4d.jpg

Hi,

sorry to hijack this thread, but @Oltier can you tell me which addons you use? Especially the spellbars above skada or recount.

Zira

Hi,

sorry to hijack this thread, but @Oltier can you tell me which addons you use? Especially the spellbars above skada or recount.

Zira

DW, he didn't answer anyways... :'D

The dots and buff tracker above Skada is called ForteXorcist. Very powerful addon! :)

The Icons in the middle are Weakauras.

The castbar is ummm... umm.. I can't remember, but basically any castbars modifier can do this for you.

Cooldown tracker on buttons is called OmniCC.

Thank you for your fast answer.

At the moment i use the addon Raven for my cooldown/buff and dot display. Maybe you know this addon too.

But i will try out ForteXorcist. 

You can basically track all DoTs, HoTs, Cooldowns and Procs with Weakauras 2.

I think Oltier's castbar is modified by the Quartz addon.

ElvUI works great.

For leveling, I suggest using Frost Bomb (You want those mobs to die fast, not wait)

General cast sequence will be:

Cast Frostbolt, then cast Frost Bomb, then cast Frostbolt again.

By the time the first frostbolt lands, frost bomb will be finished. Once your 2nd Frostbolt is almost done casting, use your water elemental's Freeze. This results in both Frostbolt and Frostbomb benefiting from the Shatter bonus.

If the mob is almost dead, just Frostfire Bolt and Ice Lance, otherwise use deep freeze, and then use ice lance 3/4 times and then Frostfire Bolt.

If pet freeze is on cooldown, just use Frost Nova > Frost Bomb > Frostbolt > Frostfire Bolt

In AoE situations, Freeze them, and then use Frost Bomb+Flamestrike, resulting in a AoE burst. use Frozen Orb and Glyphed Ice Lance (Hits a second target for 50%) or use Glyphed Cone of Cold. Remember to use Tier 2 Talent when they start hitting you.

As for your monk friend. Mistweaver is a great spec to be. His DPS can rival yours even if he is a Healer.

EDIT:

As for keybinds, Just because you take someones keybindings doesn't mean your play style will improve. it takes time to get comfortable.

If your most has a nice Keypad on the side (like a Razer Naga), you free up some slots. Otherwise use normal numbers:

Mouse1 = Frostbolt

Mouse2 = Frostfire Bolt

Mouse3 = Mage Bomb

Mouse4 = Ice Lance

Mouse5 = Frozen Orb

Mouse6 = Summon Water Elemental

Some spells that needs to be easily reached:

Q = Counterspell, use modifiers to target focus / Arena Targets

E = Deep Freeze

R = Evocation

F = Frost Nova

G = Pet Freeze

Z = Polymorth, use modifiers to target focus / Arena Targets

X = Alter Time macro

C = Mirror Images

V = Invisiblity

Remove backpedal and assign keybind:

S = Tier 2 Talent

Shift S = Ice Block

If you didn't have a mouse-numpad, move these up to shift.

1 = Blink

2 = Blazing Speed

3 = Flamestrike

4 = Cone of Cold

5 = Arcane Explosion

6 = Blizzard

The above are the basic spells you need to bind.

Edited by Archimage