FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Artunias

Help with execute

I just don't feel like using execute comes out ahead. Only if both my trinkets are up does execute seem to be worth using over the raging blow/hs combo. 

It seems like with getting 3 chances to roll a crit per gcd (two ragings, heroic) versus the execute, combined with increased rage return as well with 2pc. It just almost never seems worth it.

Am I missing something here?

I am actually curious about this as well. I play arms instead of fury however slam seems to usually out perform execute in dmg. The only instance where i get execute is amazing is with 4 piece bonus when you can use for free. Other than that, where is this stronger?

I just did a couple of training dummy tests just to see.

The main difference between Slam/RB/HS and Execute is that the first three are based on weapon damage, whereas the last one is based on AP. Therefore, any kind of Str/AP proc will benefit Execute much more than it will the first 3. I don't know whether that's true for everyone or just me, but right now, without any kind of buff on me, RB hits slightly harder than execute. However, even a minimal Str buff (Flask+Food or 1 Dancing Steel proc) puts them on par. As soon as I get more proc (Flask+Food+Dancing Steel, or both Dancing Steel, or even bigger trinket procs) Execute immediately starts outperforming RB+HS.

Remember too, that in execute range, you're not forsaking RB to use execute instead. You still want to use RB as a filler between CS and save Executes for rage dump and for CS phases.

I just did a couple of training dummy tests just to see.

The main difference between Slam/RB/HS and Execute is that the first three are based on weapon damage, whereas the last one is based on AP. Therefore, any kind of Str/AP proc will benefit Execute much more than it will the first 3. I don't know whether that's true for everyone or just me, but right now, without any kind of buff on me, RB hits slightly harder than execute. However, even a minimal Str buff (Flask+Food or 1 Dancing Steel proc) puts them on par. As soon as I get more proc (Flask+Food+Dancing Steel, or both Dancing Steel, or even bigger trinket procs) Execute immediately starts outperforming RB+HS.

Remember too, that in execute range, you're not forsaking RB to use execute instead. You still want to use RB as a filler between CS and save Executes for rage dump and for CS phases.

Yeah for sure, I've kind of been doing the opposite of that and it's worked pretty well. 

During CS I'll normal do BT > CS > RB (hs) > BT(hs) > SB(hs) > Execute. If I have both my trinket procs up, I'll put an execute in place of the first RB, then during filler times I normally end up BT > RB > Execute, repeat. And that has so far seemed to net me better results.

Again, I think a factor here is the chance to get crits. If either of the raging blows crit, even the offhand, where the execute doesn't for me it's more damage. (unless both trinkets are up). 

There is going to be some gear dependency here, this is more just to discuss. Since it seems a lot of people blindly follow the execute spam where it might not be the best choice for them.

I honestly highly doubt that it would take both trinket procs to bring Execute to higher damage than RB. I do agree that without any proc, RB+HS is better than execute, but it doesn't take that much to bring execute on top, simple because it scales so well with AP. Overall, the only spell you have the reliably hits harder than Execute is Stormbolt.

Still, it does depend on a lot of things. If you have high ilvl gear but with slightly bad weapons, Execute will generally be stronger. If you have slightly worse gear, but better weapons, it will take a couple more procs for Execute to get better.

Stormbolt should still be your top priority inside every CS, and after that, if you're in execute range, Execute will almost always be better than RB.

The only thing I might add is that you really want to aim for 100% Enrage uptime during Execute phase. Berserker Rage often times plays a pretty big part in this, so be very sure that you never waste it! Unless I get a terrible non-crit streak, Execute usually ends up being one of my top damaging spells.

Edited by Krygan