Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frost Mage Questions/Help Needed

3 posts in this topic

I am a novice frost mage (starting playing about 1 month ago) and I am slowly getting better at it. I have decent gear, and I do put out some good dps, but if I can improve I would like to know. There are few questions I would like to get answered. I am a visual learner, so for me to post a thread it means I really care about this, whatever you can do to help me would be great!

Here we go!!

Please take a look at my armory and see if there are any glitches please!

Stat Breakdown:

Haste 45.73% (15,384) is it too much? If I am using Living Bomb and have 9,522 I will only benefit from 2 Ticks so am I wasting 5862 haste when it could go to another stat!? Yikes!!

Hit 14.89% but I can go to 15.01%

Crit 24.06% with Arcane Brilliance activated. I this enough to crit boss 100%? I know I need 28% w/out Arcane Brilliance, but with it on 23% will do the trick. Right or Wrong?

Mastery 43.76% is this too low? Should I place some of the Haste I currently have into mastery to get it higher? I have seen some mages with mastery as high as 72%

As far as stats these are the questions I have! Now onward with game play!

Living Bomb Vs. Frost Bomb!!! STOP THE MADNESS!!

Living Bomb, when to use it? how often to use it? Do you refresh when trinket procs, or only when Tempus Repit procs?

Frost Bomb is great in AOE targets, but I have found it to be great on single target as well. Frost Bomb will automatically when it explodes give you Brain Freeze proc at the end, which will than give you Frozen Thoughts, and hopefully you have icy veins up so you can crit the boss and that is a great opener. Check out this video....

**Skip the video to 3 min and 30sec**

I have done a test with Living Bomb vs Frost Bomb on single target Raid Dummy in Ironforge. I did 10 attempts with 2-3minutes in between attempts to allow trinkets to cool down.

Overall Results:

Living Bomb 10.42M / 186.K

Frost Bomb 10.90M / 205.7K

My question is Frost or Living Bomb? Which is better to use!? Please don't give me the cookie cutter answer single target vs AOE target.

I guess that's all I got....

Once again thank you for looking at this thread, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, unfortunately I'm too lazy to go over armory and logs (luckily there are others that will!) but for your stat questions I will refer you to this thread. There are three viable builds to frost mage at the moment and I suggest you find the one best for you. That being said myself and many others on this forum and others have great results with haste to 14242 haste (with raidbuff) and rest in mastery, the so called Mixture Build. Again, read the thread linked and feel free to ask more questions if there is anything you worry about. 

For what bomb to use: Do not use Frostbomb. The simple answer is Living Bomb on single target and nether tempest when the cleave can be effective and the advanced version is also pretty good explained in the guide linked earlier, gonna check out the video cause it sounds wierd, thanks for linking!

Edit: I checked out his channel and see he is a big fan of frost bomb over living bomb. He just upoaded a video a couple of days ago "proving" FB is the best alternative based on dps-test on dummies (saying that is the only true way to test what is better). In some comment he does say it's not a video for world first mages but if you want to perform best possible in an raid environment, no matter the difficulty, go LB. That being said if FB is what you enjoy and you're not expected to do best possible, go a head!

Edit again: Here is the video mentioned

Edited by Narsha

Hi I don't mean to be rude here, but please read my guide.

I'd love to type up a response to you point by point, but that would effectively just be my guide.

I double checked, every answer to every one of your questions is there, in a very visual manner. I made it visual because most people are as you and won't just respond to a wall of text. So if you learn visually as you say, my guide should help you far better than any post I'd make.

After you digest the guide please ask for further questions or clarifications and I'd be happy to assist you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [1/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out this application after leaving a comment!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By Lifvana
      Hello all, with 7.1 coming soon, I am wondering what % of each stat I should be aiming for, mainly just interested in mythic+ and normal raids. My armory is . Not sure why it's saying I have 34.5% haste, it's more like 20-22% in game, with 28% crit and 25% mastery. My gear is kinda all over the place cause I play blood as well. I can give the exact percents I have once I get home in a couple hours, and  I have another 835 ring which I will post the stats of it when I get home. Sorry if the formatting is bad, first post and on my phone haha. Edit: Once I get the exact percentages of my stats, if someone could let me know the ideal enchants I should use, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! :)
    • By Fukwon
      Nothing To Lose is recruiting exceptional players for Mythic Emerald Nightmare and Legion progression.
      Raid times are 7-11pm Central Standard Time on Wednesday and Friday nights.

We are mainly interested in Ranged DPS at the moment, however
      we are always willing to accept talented and experienced raiders.
      The following classes would be highly preferred:
      -Mage (Fire)
      -Priest (Shadow)
      -Druid (Balance)

For Mythic content, we expect our raiders to be consistent both in their attendance and performance. We are a generally laid back and sarcastic crowd, but our 20 spots will be filled by those who:
      -Show up on time with full consumables
      -Know the ins and outs of their class
      -Know the boss mechanics 
      -Push their numbers to highest possible in their spec.

<NTL> has been on Cho'Gall since the Burning Crusade, and we intend to be around through Legion and beyond. Join us for some !@#$-talking, meter-whoring, and good old-fashioned purps.

The easiest way to apply is to contact myself (GM) directly via PM or in-game mail.
    • By Dereek
      Váde Enim is a friendly guild on Draenor EU 
      We are currently 7/7 normal and 4/7 heroic
      We are looking to expand to a 20+ man team and tackle mythic content. 
      We cover a number of events in guild including alt raids, mythic dungeons and mythic + content.
      Raiding days are Wednesday and Thursday 1945 - 2300 (server time) 
      We run Mythic + groups on throughout the week 
      We're looking for the following; (But all may be considered)
      Shadow Priests
      Feral and Balance Druids 
      Demon Hunters (Havoc)
      Arms Warrior
      We're mainly looking for Melee DPS on top of the classes we already have just to spread out our Melee / Ranged ratio.
      If you'd like to join and trial please contact Dereek, Rentend, Pettz, Vaior in game or add my bnet tag Villain #2997
      Many thanks

• By Ferelas
      Hey there,
      I am wondering how i can further improve my dmg. I am doing all the things the guide recommends, but i think there is more that i can do in terms of doing DMG. I espacially want to max my dmg at single targets. I m fine with ae, but I think there is more potential. I ve tried a lot different rotation priorities and strategies, but i cant get over 257k dps with my gear. The main problem is, that there are points where my dmg drops below 100k and I think that is the main source for my misery. Can someone have a look at my log? I just did a dummy log cause i think it is the optimal way to figure out the best rotation.