FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ironstorm1221

List of questions for advanced MW monks

Hello there! I am looking to improve my play as a MW, and I have some questions that I can't seem to find either good or consistent answers to. I'm also looking for any tips anyone might have on how to improve overall, as our guild is progressing on Heroics now and I want to be the more well rounded in order to provide the most to our guild. Here are my questions:

1.) Is Zen Sphere ever worth it? (specific encounter examples)
2.) What fights/phases is it worth Fistweaving on in SoO? 
3.) What is the best AoE Fistweave rotation for fights like Spoils or P1 Garrosh?
4.) Is it ever worth it to go above the 9158 Breakpoint?
5.) Should I be using the Mana Tea Glyph? I find I always cap at 20 even if I use it on CD, is it just for lower ilvls?
6.)In a 25man raiding guild, is there any reason to bring a MW and not just stack Druids and Disc Priests? 
7.) Perhaps the most important/in depth question, what are some MW Encounter specific strengths? I.E. Malkorok mechanic allows our overheals to let us (finally) top HPS by a massive margin. 

P.S. I am trying to combine answers from a few different sources, if you are able, please post your reply on the blizzard forums under this thread, as to consolidate info, ty!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11764946943#new-post

Here are a small number of logs from tonights Heroic Attempts, I took note of the mistakes I made that I noticed, but if anyone has any suggestions to improve, I would really appreciate the feedback! Thank you.

Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Ironstormie/
Logs:http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2xZWt3MLcK9R4GPk#type=healing&source=8&boss=1598&wipes=1
(Sorry theres only like 6~ attempts on 2 bosses, I know its not a lot to go off.)
Ty for any help/tips you have!

Edited by Ironstorm1221

I'm not sure if i can post on the US forums since I have an EU account so I'll respond here.

I'm not certain about the other things but I can provide some info on point number 5. Do not use the glyph. It was beneficial earlier in the expansion cos the channel used to consume 1 stack per second, but it was later patched (5.4?) to consume 2 charges per second, making it more efficient not to use the glyph.

3.) What is the best AoE Fistweave rotation for fights like Spoils or P1 Garrosh?

5.) Should I be using the Mana Tea Glyph? I find I always cap at 20 even if I use it on CD, is it just for lower ilvls?

6.)In a 25man raiding guild, is there any reason to bring a MW and not just stack Druids and Disc Priests? 

7.) Perhaps the most important/in depth question, what are some MW Encounter specific strengths? I.E. Malkorok mechanic allows our overheals to let us (finally) top HPS by a massive margin.

Hi There,

1) Zen Sphere - not really no. I tried it for H Thok but it didint really excite me.

2) Any  fight with low heal phases. This will depend on your raid comp. I know personally from a 10H PoV where we 3 heal most fights i fistweave: Protectors in downtime, all of norushen, all/most of sha, Galakras until he is shot down, Jugg when i can, Nazgrim almost the whole time, spoils when i can and then we are on H blackfuse atm.

3) Keep TP up, BoK, RJW and abuse the crap out of your meta procs with muscle memory and RJW.

4) Yes - My rule of thumb is go to the highest breakpoint reachable without dropping below 40% crit raid buffed. (currently i am at the +6 ReM breakpoint with double amp trinkets)

5) No not ever

6) MW have amazing burst throughput and can do more dps than a disc priest. We all have our niches.

7) HPS on recount isnt our strength. Our strength is burst and dps utility. We are good on every single fight you just have to play to your toons strengths.

Happy Killing :)

• Like 1

Hello there! I am looking to improve my play as a MW, and I have some questions that I can't seem to find either good or consistent answers to. I'm also looking for any tips anyone might have on how to improve overall, as our guild is progressing on Heroics now and I want to be the more well rounded in order to provide the most to our guild. Here are my questions:

Heeyo,

1.) Never really, I tried it on Malkorok to see if the burst was worth it in melee but nope. Chi burst does it for me in most every fight. (With the cast being fast enough to finish in between Thok's screeches)

2.) I lack in this area. When I started raiding with my guild I just focused on keeping up with other healers and got stuck in the habit of purely mistweaving. (A bad thing to do)

3.) I'd imagine RJW/SCK (I prefer Xuen on those fight) and salt n pepper your Blackout kicks with jab and tiger palm

4.) Definitely. I, personally, don't at the moment just because it's too much of a crit sacrifice for me to be comfortable with (at 564 ilvl)

5.) It used to be good but in recent patches the channel time was buffed and you just generate stacks too fast to use them on a CD. So no.

6.) I hope so D: But the spread and burst healing of MWers is insane (a huge asset on Garrosh especially)

7.) I've not run into a boss where I significantly underperform compared to our other healers, only those where I outperform

Edited by Monning

1)  I have yet to find a fight where it works.  My guild just downed H Spoils, so I'll give it a whirl on H Thok, as some people suggest it works well there.  But really its almost always the case that anytime you could make use of Zen Sphere, Chi Burst does it better. 

2)  I run 25 man, so running in a group of 6 healers, rather than 2, makes it easier for me to get away with fistweaving than in 10 man.  That having been said, I fistweave on many fights: Protectors (especially during Sun desperate measures, and the final burn phase), Norushen (this can work one of two ways, either you go in first and just fistweave the whole fight, double dipping on the buff (25% more dmg, and 30% more healing, so your fistweaving is exceptionally effective), or like me in our raids, where I eat the orbs all fight, since I can clear the Test of Reliance quicker than any other healer), Galakras (our aoe is exceedingly effective), Iron Juggernaut during the non-siege phases, Dark Shamans, Nazgrim (especially during Berserker stance), Spoils (although less-so in Heroic, where the Staff buff makes it more useful for us to be at range), Siegecrafter (on-and-off throughout the fight depending on incoming raid dmg), and definitely Phase 1 Garrosh, and large portions of phase 2 (although I tend to focus more on raid healing once we hit the empowered whirling corruption).

3)  Rushing Jade Wind up at all times, jab --> Blackout Kick.  I use Chi Brew so I can keep using Blackout Kick without wasting Muscle Memory procs.  Try to always be using BoK, generating the 2nd chi through RJW, RM, Expel Harm, Surging Mist procs, and Chi Brew.

4)  I don't really bother.  Some swear by it, but I find that it only really affects one ability, and thats RM.  Most fights I find RM itself makes up ~20% of my healing, so spending that much haste to get an extra tick doesn't really seem all that useful compared to having more crit, which affects everything.

5)  It's meaningless after the Mana Tea change.  I have never used it once since, and see no reason to.  Maybe one could make an argument for pvp, where you need to be more mobile...

6)  MW Monks bring more dps than any other healer.  This is especially true on several fights, like Galakras and Garrosh, where we can cleave.  I pull upwards of 250k on Galakras fights, and over 300k in p1 Garrosh.  We also have fantastic survivability, arguably higher than any other healer.  We are great aoe healers for spread fights.  We bring Revival, which has the dual purpose of being an instant, raid-wide heal, and a raid-wide mass dispel (great for Protectors if you group is not dispelling Banes).  Disc priests are definitely OP right now, and every raid should have at least one, but stacking them is not efficient, and they become markedly weaker when paired with other disc priests.  As for resto druids, I can't really think of any fight where they really outperform us, and bring less utility to the raid than we do by having basically zero dps, a weaker tank cd, and less survivability.

7)  We own on Malkorok.  I nearly always dominate my guild's meters on this fight, even against the OP disc priests.  What's more, is that we have the ability to bring burst healing to the raid at the right times.  Proper preparation and usage of TFT lets us act as a miniature raid CD through a few uplifts on 12+ targets (or the entire raid, if you're 10 man) right after a big raid wide dmg ability (like on Sha of Pride, Dark Shamans, or Nazgrim).  Revival lets us respond to unforseen damage in a way no other healer can (even Tranq doesn't heal instantly).  We can bring significant dps to several fights, like Galakras, Spoils, and Garrosh, acting as ~3/4 of another dps.  That's not nothing, and far more than any other healer can hope to bring.  On Immerseus, healing spheres heal up the slimes better and faster than any other class in the game.  We can heal while silenced (important on Thok), through fistweaving and SCK. 

Hope this all helps.

Edited by Erayo

P.S. I am trying to combine answers from a few different sources, if you are able, please post your reply on the blizzard forums under this thread, as to consolidate info, ty!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11764946943#new-post

Here are a small number of logs from tonights Heroic Attempts, I took note of the mistakes I made that I noticed, but if anyone has any suggestions to improve, I would really appreciate the feedback! Thank you.

Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Ironstormie/

Logs:http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2xZWt3MLcK9R4GPk#type=healing&source=8&boss=1598&wipes=1

(Sorry theres only like 6~ attempts on 2 bosses, I know its not a lot to go off.)

Ty for any help/tips you have!

1.)

Tried it, but this ability has not been doing the same amount of healing like CB (my favorite).

2.)

Every phase which has low to medium single/aoe dmg on your raid. Next ID I am going to do some testing on fistweaving more @Thok.

I cannot think of a single where it sounds good to fistweave only. For me, mixture does the trick.

3.)

1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 .. I do not know to answer this properly because the amount of healing depends on what your raid members need.

4.)

It can be, yes. Depends on gear.

5.)

Nope. Get rid of it.

6.)

In my view, there is no reason to bring a MW. I am playing in a 25hc raiding group.

7.)

Get away from this whole HPS meter-shit. Meters tend to lack of the ability to provide qualitatively and valuable answers. Of course, this is only true if a boss dies in the end but:

- high HPS can be sign for low / bad gear / movement of players, or

- low HPS could be a sign for good gear, good movement of players. 

I cannot think of any fight in which MWs are in particular stronger than other classes. Next problem: rankings. When you look at rankings, you probably assume that the fight is played in a default way. But often raid groups shoot for ranking, reduce healers... and just go for it to get rankings which is absolutely fine. Still, the picture is a little disturbing.

Immerseus ( http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/5#boss=1602&metric=hps)

- looks pretty mixed...

Fallen protectors ( http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/5#boss=1598&metric=hps )

- rank 1-200 ZERO monks, zero

Norusehn ( http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/5#boss=1624&metric=hps )

- rank 1-200 three monks... biggrin.png awesome

Sha of Pride ( http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/5#boss=1604&metric=hps )

- rank 1-200 ZERO monks, zero

Galakras ( http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/5#boss=1622&metric=hps )

- two monks

I stop here... except for Malkorok... monks are pretty much not in any good position. Plus, a druid buddy of mine told me that Malkorok HPS meters are not accurate by any means, unfortunately I cannot provide any evidence for that statement.

Edited by haisenkalle